Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default P-way can light access/led

We have an 07 p-w excel with numerous ceiling can lights. Can anyone explain to me how to access the bulbs? Tried asking "Grant" at p-w and he was unable to supply an answer.
When I do access, is it worth while to exchange for leds? If so, which ones should I order for these can type lights? Any ideas appreciated.
pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Can you post a photo?

I remember being perplexed figuring out how to get to the bulbs in some reading lights in the Roadtrek I owned. It's almost a decade ago now though so that's all I remember about it
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:25 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I have a 2006, a different lights than you- so no help there.

My van takes "tailight" type single filament bulbs

But I did try some leds- I found that most leds were "bright white" and hard on the eyes.
some of them also failed very quickly...after maybe 20 hours of use would start flickering.

If you are going to buy leds try to get to where you can see the colour temperature and judge as to whether you like it.

camping world may have an instore display of popular bulb types in led

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If you are changing out to LEDs, you might try SuperBrightLeds as a source

https://www.superbrightleds.com

They are not going to tell you specifically what replaces what in your RV - you need to figure that out yourself (know what socket you have, etc. ) but prices seem good. Used them to replace my lights in EVC with LEDs.

FYI - They do give very specific info on amperage draw, lumens, and color temperature (K). Do not rely on the description "warm white", "cool white" etc. 3000K or less is usually the temperature that is close to incandescent and easy on the eyes.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:14 AM   #5
Bronze Member

BobB,
Grant couldn't tell me how to open the can to just access the bulbs. I don't want to force them and break it. Thought someone here might have had some experience with this type of lighting.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Found solution on facebook b van group. Use a thin blade (razor) inserted between the two silver rings and gently pry down to release 2 springs on can. Lowe's carries the correct bulb-get the less expensive ones in the landscaping department. They are identical and half the price. Halogen, so use gloves.
One respondent to my question stated that he had broke a can lens trying to figure out how to remove it. Hope this helps anyone else with same problem.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #7

Pebbles, A razor blade likely would snap quickly, no? Would you mind posting a photo of how you did it? I'm trying to do the same thing. Thanks for your help.
arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

You can get LED lights for Halogen type socket.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #9

BBQ,
Not sure what you mean by socket?
Old 07-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

BBQ,
My problem is getting the halogen lights popped out of the housing.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Thumbs up Technique

Be brave, Ari, and insert a thin blade, maybe even the edge of a razor blade or a thin bladed eye glass screwdriver between the 2 silver edges and pry very gently. It will start it apart. This is NOT where the can meets the ceiling, but rather, the inside rim of the canned light itself. Just take your time so the blade doesn't scratch the surface.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #12

Dear Pebbles.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will definitely follow your advice. If I can pry it loose just a bit with the razor blade maybe I can use one of those fine tipped screw drivers to finish pulling it out. Any advice on the brand and "color" of some new LED's?
Thanks again.
--Arie--
(2009 Pleasure Way)
Old 07-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Check the # on yours, after removal, and pick up in the landscaping section of Lowes. Don't touch new bulb with fingers.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:14 AM   #14

Hi, I used a utility knife blade on mine and worked fine. If your bulb is G4 type like mine,
I used this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. the color is warm white the only thing is you have to leave one regular bulb
installed or the dimmer will not work. I think the led uses very little current that confuses the dimmer.hope this help.
mine is an 08 pleasureway lexor rl4
ruben is offline   Reply With Quote