Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #21
Platinum Member

" In some neighborhoods if you want to fit right in you buy a white B and stencil "Lou Handyman and landscaping" on the side of your van. " Wow David ! Please pass the Grey Poupon.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #22
Platinum Member

With our dark grey unadorned B we look pretty stealthy and I think a bit intimidating. Few people come around compared to our previous Bs. That could be that the Eurovan look as become passé. Anyway, I have toyed with the idea of about 1" high gold letters with black outline just under the cab door Windows that spell "Homeland", not Homeland Security, but just Homeland. I wonder how that would go over with the frequent Border Patrol stops we have been passing through here in southern Arizona. I bet even fewer people would approach us.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Here in Australia, flashy colours tend to be the only way to distinguish a non Commercial B, but generally they are white or cream
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (83.6 KB, 4 views)
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
When did the practice of painting RVs with all sorts of curvy slashes and dashes of paint begin? I've attached photos of some examples. I see it more on Class C and Class A RVs these days. I don't get the point.
Thank goodness, most of the newer Class B's are a solid color.
I'm sure archeologist in 300 years will dig the remains of RVs with those hideous graphics and determine that the swooshes and swirls belonged to a very primitive and uninventive tribe! We all hope it will be extinct very soon!

...So the little brown waves on the sides of a vehicle this luxuriously large remind me of the kite-tail waves on a pair of XXXL swim trunks: graphics striving hard for a slimming effect. “So, like, listen, Swooshes and Swirls,” I want to say. “You're not fooling anybody.”...

...from a very good article on the "RV graphics syndrome"!

AIGA | Motor Home, Know Thyself

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
In my humble opinion, the problems with an ugly and uninspired design can't be covered up by swoopy doopy lipstick.
Agree! When the design of the vehicle is interesting you don't have to cover up with heavy make-up.

Why can't an RV have a simple and contemporary exterior?
OK people will say it's too utilitarian or clinical. I don't mind a bit of restraint. We have enough big and ugly McMansions. We don't need more McRVs!

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #26
Platinum Member

If you want to hear why the "swoopy doopy" go onto the Gone with the Wynns site and find the video - "Resurrecting Dinosaurs - The Story Behind Our RV Design Gig" where they sit down with the Fleetwood designers and try to change things. And the response to the "swoopy doopy" and why not more linear is "linear would look bad" "need to get more movement".

Probably somewhere there is a survey that says "this is what people want". Right. Don't buy it. These guys have their system/viewpoint and they are not going to change it. Time to get new designers. Or ask different customers. Or don't ask - develop designs and then show them to selected customers and get responses.

IMO