Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Painting a van

Hello every, I am fairly new to the site. I recently purchase a 1996 Coach House 192 campervan. The previous owner supplied a detailed record of all maintenance along with receipts. The van appears to be in great shape inside and out. However, some of the stickers have faded around the lower section along with the paint on the running boards. I would like to have the van painted because I am not a big fan of the white exterior. Has anyone had a campervan similar to this vehicle painted? If so, what are some of the things I need to be concerned with? My plan is to paint the van one solid color with maybe a strip down the side of the van and another strip around the high top. Do you think I am lessening the value by painting the van?

I would appreciate any insight someone could offer me.
timp410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Painting a van

My van is similar age to yours. The paint is in good condition but I'd like to improve the appearance of mine a bit. The running boards on mine show the most wear. 3M make an automotive wrap (see Accrete's van here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...&t=2848#p18488 ) I've been thinking of using that product on my van on the running boards or the front instead of paint.

To save some $$$ you could have only the running boards painted (not the whole van).
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
My van is similar age to yours. The paint is in good condition but I'd like to improve the appearance of mine a bit. The running boards on mine show the most wear. 3M make an automotive wrap (see Accrete's van here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...&t=2848#p18488 ) I've been thinking of using that product on my van on the running boards or the front instead of paint.

To save some $$$ you could have only the running boards painted (not the whole van).
Hello markopolo, thanks for responding. This does sound like a good option. I just spent a little more time going over the condition of the paint. I have notice several places where the paint shows chip marks. I am still trying to decide weather or not to spend the money on the paint or not. I am sure the price to paint the van is going to cost at least a couple of grand. There are other upgrades I would like to perform on the van as well.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
g1g
Platinum Member

I wouldn't worry about decreasing the value. I would be more concerned on the price of the paint job and also on preserving it and just having it look good enough for you. Small chipped paint can be a place for rust to start but an entire paint job can be expensive. I don't know where the decals are or the paint chips but would it be possible to paint only the areas needed making it a two tone like bottom half another color leaving the top white? many decals can be removed without damage to the paint
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1g
I wouldn't worry about decreasing the value. I would be more concerned on the price of the paint job and also on preserving it and just having it look good enough for you. Small chipped paint can be a place for rust to start but an entire paint job can be expensive. I don't know where the decals are or the paint chips but would it be possible to paint only the areas needed making it a two tone like bottom half another color leaving the top white? many decals can be removed without damage to the paint
The cost of the paint job has been a concern of mine. I am prepared to kick out around $2k for the job but anything more would be more than I care to sink into the job. I still have some upgrades I would like to do such as upgrading the charging system, adding a backup camera, replacing the shocks and replacing the two house batteries. The batteries seem to still hold a good charge but the paperwork showed they were replaced sept. 2009. The chips are mostly on the top corners of the back and a few small spots around the windows. I also have a broken day/night window shade that needs replacing or fixed if possible.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #6

I have a 1991 Chevy G20 Camper Van that I just had painted (Nov 2013) by Maaco in Michigan. The total cost was $1328.30. Cost break down is chip repair $120.00, universal sealer (base coat) $69.95, 2nd base paint job they sell $799.95 and due to the over size camper top an extra $250.00. The rest of the cost was taxes, shop supplies and labor. I was very pleased with the work they performed and my Camper Van looks brand new.
dawnordusk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnordusk1
I have a 1991 Chevy G20 Camper Van that I just had painted (Nov 2013) by Maaco in Michigan. The total cost was $1328.30. Cost break down is chip repair $120.00, universal sealer (base coat) $69.95, 2nd base paint job they sell $799.95 and due to the over size camper top an extra $250.00. The rest of the cost was taxes, shop supplies and labor. I was very pleased with the work they performed and my Camper Van looks brand new.
Just curious. Your camper van roof is styled like a Roadtrek 190, with a raised fiberglass top, but I was wondering what other similarities there might be? Does it have any external fiberglass storage compartments? I (almost) live in Michigan and that price you paid sounds pretty good, but I'd guess that a Roadtrek 190 exterior style of camper would present additional complexities resulting in additional cost. I'm also wondering how long it took?
Cheers.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Wow! That is a great price, I sure the Coach House will be higher due to all the tedious taping that it would need. Did they do a good job on the van?
Old 03-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Quote:
Just curious. Your camper van roof is styled like a Roadtrek 190, with a raised fiberglass top, but I was wondering what other similarities there might be? Does it have any external fiberglass storage compartments? I (almost) live in Michigan and that price you paid sounds pretty good, but I'd guess that a Roadtrek 190 exterior style of camper would present additional complexities resulting in additional cost. I'm also wondering how long it took?
Cheers.
They are very similar in design except for the air conditioner. The Roadtrek has the air conditioner integrated in the roof. A rear section of the coach house is recessed to allow the air conditioner to sit lower. There are also several outdoor compartments like the Roadtrek has. I'm sure they will charge extra to tape them off.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #10

I have a coleman roof top a/c unit on my camper, a ladder and one side compartment where the generator was. I use the space now for my grill and charcoal. Always the best thing rather then guessing is to take it to a Maaco and have them Qoute it.The camper top has 4 large windows that had to be masked off plus the regular number of windows the van body had.
dawnordusk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:12 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted the question. Sounds like the complexities of masking my van would be similar. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
I have a coleman roof top a/c unit on my camper, a ladder and one side compartment where the generator was. I use the space now for my grill and charcoal. Always the best thing rather then guessing is to take it to a Maaco and have them Qoute it.The camper top has 4 large windows that had to be masked off plus the regular number of windows the van body had.
I will be taking the van to MAACO ASAP. I will have to wait about three weeks before I am able drive because I am recovering from back surgery.