Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 12:16 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Parallax Power Supply Problems

If anyone has the Parallax Power Supply you should check out this story of a failed unit on older Airstream Interstate. Problem was specifically a Parallax Power Supply Model 55TCRU, with battery temp sensor.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1759111
Old 03-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Just MHO, I have not been impressed with their products since my travel trailer has one of their converters, and I have not gotten around to replacing it with something better.

As a matter of policy, I'd toss it and have it replaced with a WFCO, PowerMax Boondocker, or maybe even a Magnum Energy charger/inverter. It won't be cheap, but it will be one less thing to worry about.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
Just MHO, I have not been impressed with their products since my travel trailer has one of their converters, and I have not gotten around to replacing it with something better.

As a matter of policy, I'd toss it and have it replaced with a WFCO, PowerMax Boondocker, or maybe even a Magnum Energy charger/inverter. It won't be cheap, but it will be one less thing to worry about.
I just looked at the Wyco site, as I have never seen what their charge profile is.

http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...eration-v2.pdf

Profile is described a bit down the page, and is pretty different from many, but also probably wouldn't do a very good job. The graph shows no absorption time, but the text says it stays in absorption to a "preset" current to the batteries. This would indicate a profile like the Xantrex chargers, which we discussed a while ago, that do the same thing but transition at 10% of charger capacity, in amps, or 4 hours max. This has been shown to not get the batteries full unless the charger is very small compared to the battery bank. This basically the Progressive Dynamics profile, with the added amps transition to float. I didn't see if they had a "pendant" to be able to force the unit to different stages.

Do to the lack of versatility of the Wyco, given the choice, I would get the second suggestion of a Magnum, with remote, and have the full adjustability to get exactly the charging profile you need.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The biggest reason I like the Magnum models is that you can put together a very powerful system. The display and the inverter/charger is one thing. From there, you can easily add a generator controller, which gives you some added features/abilities.

Plus, a 1000 watt inverter never hurts anything.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote