Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Default Parking a Classb

I don't own a class B yet, but looking to buy soon.

One thing that I'm concerned about is parking (I'm in Toronto. not downtown, but close to it)

I don't have any designated parking at my house and I emailed Toronto's parking department and they told me that Class Bs do not typically qualify for street parking permits.

ughh. what now. Do I need to start asking around local businesses or putting up posters to look for available space??
picklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Parking a Classb

Assuming it's not a class B on a 24 foot Sprinter (but even if it was), tell them it's a full sized passenger van. That's probably all they need to know. Is there a length restriction? Class B campers generally aren't going to present a width problem in most standard parking spaces, but the length might. Got any friends in the 'burbs with large driveways, or farms, that could help you out?
Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Check the parking rules. What makes a class B not qualify? If length is an issue, a RT 170 is small enough to be parked anywhere. If 20 feet is OK, you can get most Chevy vans, perhaps a short Sprinter. 22 feet allows for almost all but the Airstream Interstate EXT and Winnebago ERA models.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #4

here's their reply

Quote:
Please note that our Bylaw prohibits the issuance of permits to commercial vehicles (pick up trucks, vans, campers, trailers) unless it is the sole use of family transportation, has a classification of PUO (personal use only) and falls under 3,000 kg and is no longer then 5.2 metres.

Typically Class B Camper vans do not qualify. You will likely need to find alternate parking (i.e neighbouring buildings with spaces for rent, neighbouring homes with driveways/garages, schools, churches, local businesses etc).
you think the roadtrek is over 5.2 metres?/under 3000kg?

<edit> 5.2 metres = 17.0604 ft hmm I think I'll have to cheat the system or look into alternatives. Gotta be a vacant space somewhere close to me.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklehead
here's their reply

Quote:
Please note that our Bylaw prohibits the issuance of permits to commercial vehicles (pick up trucks, vans, campers, trailers) unless it is the sole use of family transportation, has a classification of PUO (personal use only) and falls under 3,000 kg and is no longer then 5.2 metres.

Typically Class B Camper vans do not qualify. You will likely need to find alternate parking (i.e neighbouring buildings with spaces for rent, neighbouring homes with driveways/garages, schools, churches, local businesses etc).
you think the roadtrek is over 5.2 metres?/under 3000kg?

<edit> 5.2 metres = 17.0604 ft hmm I think I'll have to cheat the system or look into alternatives. Gotta be a vacant space somewhere close to me.
Since when is a "campers" a commercial vehicle? I suppose if it had a business sign on it from your farm, and it was used it in conjunction with hauling livestock across the country, but I doubt it. I think they're quoting you passages from 2 separate bylaws, or they've got some very odd definitions of personal use (campers?) vehicles. I would ask for a facsimile copy of the bylaw which prohibits a class B conversion van from being issued a personal use permit. Maybe check around your area and find another class B parked with a valid permit, and ask them how it qualified (unless it's obviously lightweight and really short). Honestly, I think whoever you spoke with had no idea what you were talking about, and just made that stuff up. Just my opinion, though.

I googled City of Toronto parking.
Maybe have a read....
http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/parking/
I only see in the FAQs a mention of "NO" for "can I get a permit for my commercially registered vehicle". No mention of campers, and your Roadtrek or whatever you get, won't be registered as a commercial vehicle. I don't think my Roadtrek MTO registration slip has the length or weight on it anywhere, but I'll have to look.

I would request a PUO vehicle permit and maybe do it online. The procedure is outlined here.
http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/onstreet/index.htm
They probably won't notice a couple of feet, and I can't see a bylaw officer playing "guess the weight" of a vehicle that looks like a large passenger van. Looking at the monthly fees, you might be better trying to see if a friend could provide driveway storage for you for longer periods for less money.

Good luck. Let us know what route you take, and how it works out?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #6

yeah I'll let you know how I end up dealing with this situation,
thanks for looking into this.

I've seen an old Road Trek parked around the corner quite a few times. I might be able to see what they say about this.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I'm thinking they didn't give too many specific details about the vehicle when they applied for their permit. Don't ask, don't tell, strategy.
Good luck.