Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Paseo tweaking advice needed

As a new Paseo owner, I’m discovering some things I could use some advice on.
Has anyone found mud flaps which will fit the dual wheels? I see comments about the Winnebago having stainless steel wheel liners which may cause issues with fitting flaps but mine, 2017 Transit/2018 Paseo doesn’t have them. Steel liners that is.
Second, the low ground clearance is a real nuisance when going through even minor dips such as entering or leaving driveways. I’ve installed drag wheels, which gives me some comfort believing I won’t be damaging the rear-end stuff, but the loud noise when dragging is embarrassing at the least.
I see some have put bigger tires on their Paseos to gain some additional clearance (which might further complicate the aforementioned mud flap issue) but it’s something I would consider.
For some reason, the Transit Winnebago uses for the Paseo comes with 195/75R16C LT tires, while other T350 HD’s without duals come with 235/65R16. If changing tires size, is there a concern about the stock alloy wheels vs. steel wheels? By just a quick feel without crawling under the rig it seems like there’s about an inch clearance between tire sidewall and the leaf spring.
While checking the right front tire I noticed an unprotected plastic reservoir with what appears to be cooling fluid. I assume it would be a good idea to install some sort of shield to guard against rocks thrown up by the front tire, as I sprinkle ¾ minus rock on our ranch driveway.
Any suggestions for these ponderings would be welcome.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: East of world famous Sedro Woolley, west of Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
As a new Paseo owner, I’m discovering some things I could use some advice on.
Has anyone found mud flaps which will fit the dual wheels? I see comments about the Winnebago having stainless steel wheel liners which may cause issues with fitting flaps but mine, 2017 Transit/2018 Paseo doesn’t have them. Steel liners that is.
Second, the low ground clearance is a real nuisance when going through even minor dips such as entering or leaving driveways. I’ve installed drag wheels, which gives me some comfort believing I won’t be damaging the rear-end stuff, but the loud noise when dragging is embarrassing at the least.
I see some have put bigger tires on their Paseos to gain some additional clearance (which might further complicate the aforementioned mud flap issue) but it’s something I would consider.
For some reason, the Transit Winnebago uses for the Paseo comes with 195/75R16C LT tires, while other T350 HD’s without duals come with 235/65R16. If changing tires size, is there a concern about the stock alloy wheels vs. steel wheels? By just a quick feel without crawling under the rig it seems like there’s about an inch clearance between tire sidewall and the leaf spring.
While checking the right front tire I noticed an unprotected plastic reservoir with what appears to be cooling fluid. I assume it would be a good idea to install some sort of shield to guard against rocks thrown up by the front tire, as I sprinkle ¾ minus rock on our ranch driveway.
Any suggestions for these ponderings would be welcome.
I built my conversion using the T350 extended, not HD. That is the van with the SRW 235/65/16 tires.
The main difference between the two is that my van has a lower GVWR...9500 pounds, vs 9950 for the 350HD based Paseo.
FOr what it's worth increasing to a 17" tire will only get you an extra .5" ground clearance at the wheel, and probably pretty close to that at the rear end.

We do plan on changing tires, but mainly for better winter and rough road performance, not to raise the height.

We mainly boondock out in the middle of nowhere. I haven't had all that much trouble with scraping the rear, but I did add airbags from AirLift. When Annie the Van is fully loaded, I run about 30PSI in the bags. On really rough roads I have raised the bags to about 95 PSI, which gets me almost another 4" of lift in the rear.
I don't know if bags are available for the DRW.

If I understand which reservoir near the front right wheel you refer, that's for the windshield washer liquid.
Now, with trip reports!!!!
skagitstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:28 AM   #3
Platinum Member

The Coachmen CrossFit (350 HD DRW) comes standard with SuperSprings on the rear and SumoSprings on the front. AFAIK, the net effect is a higher ride height.

FWIW - Mine Crossfit hasn't dragged its tail yet, in 4000 miles of travel. .
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagitstan View Post
I don't know if bags are available for the DRW.
Checked Airbag website; doesn't fit duals, but I'll keep looking. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We had Supersprings and SumoSprings installed on the rear of our paseo, and it raised the rear 2" at the hitch. No more tail dragging. Also improved the handling considerably. Less sway in curves, less effect from side wind, and less pull from passing tractor trailers.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
Silver Member

Wow, sounds like the perfect solution. I just checked out their website but, since you've done all the product testing (and the risk associated there-in) is it Supersprings in the rear and Sumosprings up front?
Sounds like you're using both kinds in the rear?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow, sounds like the perfect solution. I just checked out their website but, since you've done all the product testing (and the risk associated there-in) is it Supersprings in the rear and Sumosprings up front?
Sounds like you're using both kinds in the rear?
Rear axle only, and yes both Sumo and Super springs. We installed SSR-121-47 SumoSprings and SSA42 SuperSprings. This is the same setup that comes from the factory on Coachman Crossfit (same Ford Transit chassis).

I really only did it to fix the sagging rear, the handling improvements were a huge bonus. We are almost always towing a 2000 lb 5x8 cargo trailer with our two dual sport motorcycles inside, which has about a 250 lb tongue weight. And we usually are boondocking, which means carrying a full load of water and propane. So our rear axle is loaded pretty close to its maximum.

I did the install myself, in the driveway, using a 3.5 ton floor jack and a bunch of 3.5 ton jackstands. I have a gravel driveway, so I set the floor jack on a 3/4" piece of plywood to give it a good base.

I made my own spring compressor (should have used angle steel instead of flat steel, the tension was enough to bend the flat steel, so it was a single use tool):

Here is the installed Superspring:

And the installed SumoSpring:

Before measurement of clearance at the hitch:

And after:

As you can see, right at 2" of clearance gained at the hitch. This is with a half full water tank and half full propane tank, nothing else in the van.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #8
Silver Member

Bill, wonderful pictures. (someday I'll have to learn how to post pictures - it's still on my to-do list) Did you install both super and sumo at the same time, or did you try one, then add the other? Because I doubt I'll ever pull a trailer or boat (famous last words) do you think the Sumo would be sufficient to give me an extra two inches or so at the hitch?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:35 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bill, wonderful pictures. (someday I'll have to learn how to post pictures - it's still on my to-do list) Did you install both super and sumo at the same time, or did you try one, then add the other? Because I doubt I'll ever pull a trailer or boat (famous last words) do you think the Sumo would be sufficient to give me an extra two inches or so at the hitch?
Thanks Alec! When you are creating a post, there is an attachment button up next to the "Fonts" line. With that you can upload and attach image files. Then you can use the little button with a picture of a mountain on it to embed those uploads at various points within your post. After uploading, you will see a bunch of links to your uploads, and you use those links in the embed.

I don't think the Sumosprings alone will gain you much static height at the hitch. They will reduce dragging though, because the weight transfer to the rear that happens when you nose up an incline will result in less compression of the suspension (so you won't be hitting the rear bumpstops at every driveway). From what I've read, I think you get at most about half an inch of lift from the Sumo's alone. Most of the height gain is because the Supersprings reduce the amount of sag in the leaf springs from the loaded weight of the van. The Supersprings put the front to rear stance of van back pretty close to the stock stance without the Winnebago build out.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Also, as far as the Sumos in the front go, where this would help would be if you are experiencing porpoising under heavy braking. We haven't really noticed any issue with this, so I haven't done the front yet. Raising the rear could increase the likelihood of this though, so I will be watching for it...
Old 02-12-2019, 11:05 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
Also, as far as the Sumos in the front go, where this would help would be if you are experiencing porpoising under heavy braking. We haven't really noticed any issue with this, so I haven't done the front yet. Raising the rear could increase the likelihood of this though, so I will be watching for it...
FWIW - My CrossFit has Sumos in the front, Supers in the rear, with the factory rear bump stops. Not sure which size Supers - I can't read the label. If someone wants to know, I'll see if I can find out. I suspect Coachmen makes running changes.

I'm at 3200lbs front & 5600lbs rear without water. Not sure how that compares to a Paseo
Old 02-12-2019, 11:14 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
There is a thread on the fordtransitusa forum related to tires sizes on DRW Transits. My conclusion, after reading through it, was that there are not many options for larger tires without running into a problem with the tire sidewall spacing between the duals.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
There is a thread on the fordtransitusa forum related to tires sizes on DRW Transits. My conclusion, after reading through it, was that there are not many options for larger tires without running into a problem with the tire sidewall spacing between the duals.
The alloy wheels that are a Winnebago option and also directly orderable from Custom Wheel Solutions have more spacing between the rear duals than the stock steel wheels. On the Paseo facebook group there are a couple of people that have upgraded to these wheels and installed larger tires. One user put on LT215/85R16 Yokohama Geolander A/T tires and posted up pictures showing the spacing, and he has nearly an inch between the tires at the bulge at the bottom.

I've ordered a set of these wheels myself and planning to get them installed in the next few weeks. Currently the lug nuts are on backorder, supposed to be in next week, that has been holding up my order. I'm planning to go with those Yokohama tires once I get the wheels.

These are 2" taller diameter than the stock tires, so that gains you one inch of clearance under the van all the way around...
Old 02-12-2019, 11:48 PM   #14
Platinum Member

The wheels under Ford Transit on this page are what I'm referring to:

https://www.cwswheels.com/wheels/rv-wheels/
Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 PM   #15
Platinum Member

And these are the tires:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...t-g015/p/32447
Old 02-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #16
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
The alloy wheels that are a Winnebago option and also directly orderable from Custom Wheel Solutions have more spacing between the rear duals than the stock steel wheels. On the Paseo facebook group there are a couple of people that have upgraded to these wheels and installed larger tires. One user put on LT215/85R16 Yokohama Geolander A/T tires and posted up pictures showing the spacing, and he has nearly an inch between the tires at the bulge at the bottom.

I've ordered a set of these wheels myself and planning to get them installed in the next few weeks. Currently the lug nuts are on backorder, supposed to be in next week, that has been holding up my order. I'm planning to go with those Yokohama tires once I get the wheels.

These are 2" taller diameter than the stock tires, so that gains you one inch of clearance under the van all the way around...
Bill, is this strictly a clearance improvement, or are there other advantages you are expecting?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #17
Silver Member

Bill (et.al.) thanks for all the tips and advice.
Just ordered the SuperSprings. My favorite garage will install them; at 78, I've stopped thinking of installations of that sort as fun.
They are ordering the SSA43 instead of the 42's.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bill, is this strictly a clearance improvement, or are there other advantages you are expecting?
Clearance improvement and also better traction with the all terrain tires.

Plus these wheels make it easier to check tire pressure and add air. The fronts and rear outer wheels have the valve stems pointed out, and the holes in the rear are lined up with the stock steel inners so you can access the inner stems.
BillsPaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:01 AM   #19
Silver Member

Default Springs on

Well, SuperSprings are on. Gained 2 3/8" clearance at the hitch, so fewer tail drags expected.
On the way home, it seems like the ride was rougher than I expected, although I can't be sure. I'll need some more miles to really get a feel for whether it is harsher.

I opted to install just the springs, not the SumaSprings. If it turns out that the springs have caused a harsher ride, I'll consider installing the Sumas for the damping effect I assume they would contribute. Also, I had them use the top-most holes on the clamps to get the most lift, and probably the harsher ride. I could change to the lower holes.

I guess there's still some fine tuning yet to do.

Thanks for all the advice, ya'll.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #20

Coachmen came out with a "Corrective Procedure", that says to use the middle holes, and position the ends of the SuperSprings 3 to 3.5 inches from the main spring eyes.
Lazy Bones is offline   Reply With Quote