Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2022, 05:23 AM   #1

Default Passengers on Roadtrek Ideal SS with slideout

I'm looking into a 2010-2011 Roadtrek Ideal SS with rear slide-out. When the slideout is retracted, can 2 passengers sit on the sofa with seat belts? (It's hard to tell from the pics online if there is enough legroom for passengers on the sofa.)

Also, are there any issues with its load carrying capacity?
Greg Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Have you looked at the photos for this listing on RV Trader. Since they have set up the table in front of the sofa, it is apparent that people can comfortably sit there. The question is whether there are a couple seat belts there or not. Doesn't show in photos nor is it mentioned that I saw.

Call this dealer and ask them...

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...eal-5021771775

These are not common rigs to find... not that many of them were made. You might go to the Roadtrek website and look for the brochures of the old models. It might be there and it would tell if they were made with seatbelts in the rear.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

In viewing Mumkin's link there is only one photo with the slide in for travel and that shows the driver's side jammed in against the cabinetry. There is no seat belts shown and definitely no harness strap so I doubt there are seatbelts. Clearly intended for two people only as most short Sprinters are designed for.

Load carrying capacity depends. You have 9050 lbs. to work with. Ask them to weigh it. Upfitters are suppose to deliver vans at 7400 lbs. leaving you 1650 lbs for you and your equipment. The slide out mechanism appears substantially heavy and leaves more for cabinetry that you can get in a short Sprinter. I kind of doubt Roadtrek adhered to any of that since they dropped that design. The positive side is I doubt you could store much in that van to exceed 9050 lbs.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

yes those are good questions, many B's once loaded with water, supplies and people are close to the GVWR

and Roadtrek had a record of falsifying certifications for passenger seating safety- although I think that occurred after this model was produced

this did catch my eye on that dealer's listing

" Note: 2010 Roadtrek SS Ideal specifications are provided by the manufacturer and may not reflect this 2010 Roadtrek SS Ideal Class B RV for sale."

some of the literature of the day listed this as a 4 pass rv

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:43 PM   #5

Default Sofa seating

All,

Thanks for the responses. I also had a guy who rents an Ideal SS text me that “There's room for 2 people to be seated at the back of the motorhome while traveling.” So, I’m guessing one passenger sits in the middle and the other behind the passenger.

Some other post showed lap belts, but no shoulder belts, so it’s probably not safe to sit behind the fridge even if you could.

I think the slide out adds 600 lbs. The photo of the door sticker states that the OCCC is 886 lbs and the GVWR is 8,550. Thus, it appears there is only 886 lbs left for passengers, gear, and water. I calculated that the water tank could weigh 250 lbs, so maybe only 636 lbs left for passengers and gear. My wife and I weigh a combined 340 lbs, so 296 lbs for gear could work. My whole family weighs 580 lbs, so only 56 lbs for gear, which might only be enough for a day trip or possibly an overnight. So if traveling with the whole family I would probably need to leave the water tank near empty and fill it up at the campsite.

The slideout seems like a good idea, but with these Class B’s everything you gain means you lose something else. I dunno. Maybe the SS Agile would be better. (My driveway is exactly 20’5” from the house to the curb, so definitely looking for something under 20’)
Greg Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Kudos for doing homework and calculations in advance

driving with empty tanks helps the MPG when/if you know you can get water at or closer to your destination

sometimes we know we can- sometimes not.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:52 PM   #7

Default Ideal Owner

I own a SS Ideal, 2011 Roadtrek on 2010 MB Chassis
It has seatbelts for two, no shoulder harness.
As previously described, the two sit towards the right side of the seat, not behind the fridge, no leg space there.
The seatbelts are likely tucked into the seat cushions.
The rear seating is not really suitable for any regular distance travel. We used our once in 10 years for a short distance travel only.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote