Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Picked up new Travato, took shake-down trip

Picked up my new Winnebago Travato on Friday (23rd). The delivery experience was less than I expected, as they weren't really ready to do it even thought they had a week's notice. Oh well. Other than the coach being filthy and the gas tank empty, everything worked. The only hiccup was a sensor on the passenger seat needed to be re-set so the alarm would shut off. Lucky I caught it still at the dealership and not down the road! If both seats aren't facing forward and clicked in position, a very loud alarm will sound and not shut off.

I spent that afternoon trying to shoe-horn all the equipment & supplies from my tag-along into the new van. I had to pare it down a lot and still have some more to go after this first trip.

On Saturday, I headed out to Mile High Campground, which is off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Maggie Valley, NC. The grade to get up there is 9% and rises to 5400 feet elevation, so that is about as tough as it gets east of the Mississippi. I thought the Promaster handled it very well. This drivetrain is very well matched to this vehicle and RV service. I got 16 mpg on this trip.

Once you get to the camp, you get views like this as well as temps in the 60's:

Here was my setup at the camp:

I had put the extender in my bike rack so I could open the doors. It also made a nice place to hook the hose to so I had water at my camp kitchen. You can also see the screen package you can get for the rear doorway:

I also got the screen door option for the main sliding door. One of my favorite features is that the TV, power antenna and the audio system are all 12 volt. The TV is in a good position for viewing outside, which is what I did to watch the Indy 500. I don't know how many B vans have outside speakers, but this one does, which was a plus watching the race:

All my gear fit easily in the back, but I need to go thru and reduce some. I think I get get the essentials down to one bin:

Organizing the cabinets is a challenge. Here is what you get for dishes (over the sink). Luckily I found some nesting cookware that saved me a lot of room:

This is the cabinet over the bed - I store some linen items, window coverings and the screens, and some dry goods:

The clothes locker seems big enough. It's tall enough to hang shirts, jackets, etc. I also stand some trays and cutting board behind the clothes. My dirty clothes bag is also in there:

The fridge is certainly big enough for weekend trips. This new model is narrow, tall and deep compared to the regular cube fridge's you see in other B's. It's a 3-way. I ran it on LP. The mid point setting froze most of my sodas, so I reduced it further.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Further...

This coach definitely has some quirks. The Tom-Tom navigation is not quite as intuitive as a Garmin or the other makes.
The tankage seems to be adequate for my usage. I had about 1/3 fresh water left on my return home today.

The kitchen will take a bit to get used to. It's quite small, so you are juggling things on what little counter top there is. It really could use a counter extender, but that would block the door way and the switches where they mounted them. Thankfully, I do most of my cooking outside. Might pre-prepare some items before the next trip to make cooking easier if I'm forced to do it inside.

The 2.8kw Onan is appallingly loud. Other folks in the camp had your cheap contractor grade genets that were a lot quieter than mine. I suppose in a parking lot or at a rest stop it doesn't matter, but for dry camping it really is unacceptable. I may carry my small yamaha if I go dry camping in a campground again.

The water heater seems to heat up rather quick- 20 mins with the generator running. It does stay hot a long time. I ended up doing dishes with water I heated in a kettle. I didn't want to make all that racket during the dinner hour.

So overall, I'm very happy with this coach. The navigator sure likes it:
Old 05-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Picked up new Travato, took shake-down trip

some ways to quiet your generator

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... 281511.cfm
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I bet the navigator likes it.
Nice view from Mile High Campground.
I like the fridge. Looks easy to see things and get them.

Some of your gear probably would not fit in some other Class B's. I like the versatility of that area.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I think that if I were traveling solo, I would try to get the front bunk comfortable enough for me, and save all that glorious storage space for "stuff". With the bed down, you even have one big shelf available. Nice update, thanks.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks for the update. Keep 'em coming. How comfortable was the bed?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:41 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I see you are carrying what looks to be 20# propane tanks inside. I was wondering about that. I'm getting a B built and asked if a 20# tank storage facility outside the van under chassis or vented box could be built. I'm not getting a generator or built in propane tank installed but might want the opportunity to carry the standard fill or exchange anywhere 20# BBQ tank. I also don't want to carry it in a hitch receiver box. I'm not sure if there are any safety regulations that cover this? I haven't investigated other than I did not want a tank inside the B. If not feasible it is a shrug of the shoulders non deal breaker for me.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I see you are carrying what looks to be 20# propane tanks inside. I was wondering about that. I'm getting a B built and asked if a 20# tank storage facility outside the van under chassis or vented box could be built. I'm not getting a generator or built in propane tank installed but might want the opportunity to carry the standard fill or exchange anywhere 20# BBQ tank. I also don't want to carry it in a hitch receiver box. I'm not sure if there are any safety regulations that cover this? I haven't investigated other than I did not want a tank inside the B. If not feasible it is a shrug of the shoulders non deal breaker for me.

davydd,

sportsmobile does outside vented compartments

http://www.sportsmobile.com/5_sys_generators.html

2/3 way down on page. I'm sure Advanced rv could do the same
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:03 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I carried a 20# and a 10# bottle this trip to use with my propane campfire. I think it's ok to carry these bottles inside with their valves shut. If you were really safety conscious, you would probably want a rack mounted to secure them in. It's a whole different matter to have a bottle inside the coach and connected to systems like a stove or heater. They do sometimes do that in boats. I think that would be pushing things safety wise, but I'm no expert. I do know that bottles must be transported in a upright position or their safety valves will not operate correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Where did you purchase your Travato? How well does the sliding door screen work? We're in the southeast and doing our own Promaster conversion and we would like to see a Travail at a dealer for ideas.

Thanks for your update and pictures, very helpful.
tgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd

davydd,

sportsmobile does outside vented compartments

http://www.sportsmobile.com/5_sys_generators.html

2/3 way down on page. I'm sure Advanced rv could do the same
An outside compartment would not be an acceptable solution. I will have plenty of space inside. I was wandering about the acceptability of such. Wincrasher answered with his opinion. I carry those little propane bottles now inside without too many qualms.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:44 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Hi Davyyd,

I have a 22,000 btu Coleman 2 burner stove I use outside for cooking as I too like to be outdoors so i dont cook much inside. I use those small gas cylinders one can get at Walmart and other places and I find one container lasts me at least a week. i keep 2 of them with the stove at the rear of the PW. My propane built-in tankful is mostly for hot water for washing up and showers. I assume you are referring to those types of small cylinders. I find them great but are not refillable.

Greetings

Al
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I refill mine. I put them in my freezer overnight. I set my 20lb tank in the sun, attach the 1lb tank to the 20lb tank using the fill adapter from Harbor freight(Coleman sells them also) ,turn them upside down and open the valve. The differing pressures allow the small tank to get nearly as full as from the store. Over fill is not an issue because the 1lb tanks have safety valves built in.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I ordered a hose to be able to use my portable grill off the accessory tap that is underneath the back bumper. So I can leave the little bottles at home now.

Still need to carry a big bottle if I carry my campfire. Probably won't carry it when I go to hot locations. On cool, mountain nights, it's nice to sit by a small fire.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
I refill mine. I put them in my freezer overnight. I set my 20lb tank in the sun, attach the 1lb tank to the 20lb tank using the fill adapter from Harbor freight(Coleman sells them also) ,turn them upside down and open the valve. The differing pressures allow the small tank to get nearly as full as from the store. Over fill is not an issue because the 1lb tanks have safety valves built in.
Very clever! I could use my bbq tank at home and refill the small cylinders before a trip. Thanks.
I will check with local store who sell Coleman eqpt,
AL
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:39 AM   #16
Platinum Member

I've been in a few campgrounds that encouraged recycling the 1# cylinders. But that would probably be maybe 1% of them. You do kind of wince when one goes empty and there is nothing to do with it but toss it.

My problem with them is I am toying around the idea of carrying around a propane outdoor pizza maker. Maybe this.

Three months on the road for me like I just completed is hell if I cannot make pizza. This one eats up 1# bottles.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:47 AM   #17
Platinum Member

I saw these demonstrated at a shop last year. You can always get a hose to connect to a 10# or 20# bottle, or one to use an RV accessory tap.

But it's a big item to carry, just like my campfire. Kinda of a pain.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #18
Platinum Member

We make pizza on our little Magma grill all the time while on the road. Usually make it on flatbread or Lavish, but could make a regular crust just as easy.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:34 AM   #19
Platinum Member

I take my pizza making rather seriously seeking to make as close to Neapolitan style as possible which requires high heat and short baking time (under 5 minutes). I make everything from scratch. That Pizzaque might do it. Grilled pizza and even home oven baked pizza is not cutting it for me anymore. On our last trip I did experiment with making a Dutch oven pizza but they take way too long to bake (15-20 minutes.) The problem with the Pizzaque is it takes about 10 minutes to pre-heat the stone and get temps up over 700F. You can imagine a 10,000 BTU burner going through small propane bottles.

BTW, they are selling that Pizzaque at Cabelas now.

With my Great West Van it would be no problem as I have a propane tank BBQ connection and a 12 foot hose to attach.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:05 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I think this is essentially the same thing - probably cheaper than Cabellas - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKWLWWI/...I34EOBL0ICD6VY

Surely under your new rig, there is a place to mount a small tank, fill and accessory disconnect.