Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2023, 03:13 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Planning roof top AC gasket installation.

Planning roof top AC gasket installation.
After unbolting AC I’m hopping I can lean the unit 45* diangley to roof an prop one side w/ a couple pieces of wood. Then remove old gasket an glue on new gasket.sure hope the new gasket blocks rain water.
Plan B (mite be easier) would be place the wood under both sides of the squirrel cage use two small sissor jack one on each side to elevate then R&R.

I've read there are drains on each side of AC are these drains on a tray under the condenser or are they though the roof?

anyone replace this seal on a chevy or van w/ similar dropped down roof?
Thanks for gasket advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new gasket install.jpg (411.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-21-2023, 06:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Before replacing that gasket, have you 1) Made sure that is is not leaking condensate? 2) Tried snugging up the gasket with the mounting hold down bolts, assuming a standard rooftop install? It likel varies among manufacturers but maybe 40"lbs would be a good guess. Retorqueing that gasket is listed on some makes as an annual maintenance item.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 07:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Before replacing that gasket, have you 1) Made sure that is is not leaking condensate? 2) Tried snugging up the gasket with the mounting hold down bolts, assuming a standard rooftop install? It likel varies among manufacturers but maybe 40"lbs would be a good guess. Retorqueing that gasket is listed on some makes as an annual maintenance item.
purchased van on june1. just started testing AC.rules out condensation leak
it's not just a leak its a splash of wetness.
roof leaks when driving whenever it rains. leaks when van front is even w/ or barely higher than rear.

snugged the AC bolts still the leak I either remove AC an seal hole or try a gasket replacement. I was to the point ah better not drive the van bc it's raining.

here's how I have to park if I do opt to drive van when there's a possibility of rain.on curb.
she still leaks w/ 2 elevation plates on flat part of driveway, hell I've currently parked her on flat driveway w/ front wheels proped up on my rhino ramps which are I think 6"s still leaks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg how to park.jpg (254.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg elevate front wheels.jpg (302.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg only 3 boltsp.jpg (148.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-26-2023, 02:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Received camco $20. gasket it’s a soft spongy gasket as described by this guy while pushing his gasket at 3 times the cost. Not sure I wanta spend $80. $60on a gasket + $20 ship less than a LB for nordick.

Here’s a overpriced steele gasket
https://www.amazon.com/Steele-Rubber...a-873027801318

I hate to amit it but sometimes I let reviews influence my choice. Camco 2.4K + against 150.

Is there a better than camco gasket which is a bit more dense an reasonably priced available?
Been looking but are times where even me miss’s.

https://www.nomadiccooling.com/produ...54876591&_ss=r

don’t get me wrong camco likes decent but I don’t want’s have to do this again in near future.
Additionally as far as how wonderfull they make the one piece gasket sound by ragging on the 4 piece basicely prying on the seam won’t happen while the gasket is just laying there.
thanks for gasket advice
Old 05-26-2023, 02:41 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Can't comment on the gasket type; but, I would have gone with the camco as well.

While I have not done this on your specific model, this is what I did with mine on a sprinter roof. Get two ladders and a helper monkey and work from opposite sides of the vehicle; remove the cover, and lift the unit off of the opening and place it forward of the hole on wood blocks (a piece of plywood on a blanket will help distribute the weight and protect your roof surface). Complete access to the opening makes it easier to work and inspect (look for cracks and imperfections). Looks like your roof is fiberglass, so you won't have the same problems as a steel roof (rust and pitting). Removing the old seal from both areas will be the hardest part. You may find it easier to take the unit off of the roof to work on it.
Make sure you have a smooth surface on both parts (may have to lightly sand the AC bottom or fill in any imperfections with fiberglass putty on the roof). Avoid standing or working on the roof directly.
The ACs that I am familiar with, all drained onto the roof directly, so check the drain holes on the pan, if this is your case as well. Also check the bolts for tightness while you have it apart (fan motor, compressor mounts, etc.) Take your time, you only want to do this once. A helper is critical for the installation (imo). You want to lift the unit up and place it directly over the opening without a lot of lateral movement. On my installation, the seal was glued onto the pan. Good luck.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 04:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I was more interested in a decent gasket compared to the turd camco sent.

what is a helper monkey?

I have already stood on roof are you saying they will collapse?
thanks Jim for advice
Old 05-26-2023, 08:10 PM   #7
Platinum Member

If your roof will support you, no problem. Sometimes a steel van roof won't support the added weight of a person without denting. (How do I know this???)

I call my neighbor "my helper monkey". Anytime I need extra hands, he comes over. Might be an east coast thing. Just seems to work better with two people. Your unit may be around 100 pounds. At 72 years old, I can't lift that alone anymore.

Also be careful when working off the ladder, they might kick out to the sides, since you are leaning over the center. Two more helpers might be needed to steady the ladders.

Sorry I can't help you on the gasket issue. Does the manufacturer of your unit sell them?

Good luck
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 12:32 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Jim View Post
If your roof will support you, no problem. Sometimes a steel van roof won't support the added weight of a person without denting. (How do I know this???)How do you know this?

I call my neighbor "my helper monkey". I can't call ppl around here monkeys I'd be called racist there so touchie Anytime I need extra hands, he comes over. Might be an east coast thing. Just seems to work better with two people. Your unit may be around 100 pounds. At 72 years old, I can't lift that alone anymore.

Also be careful when working off the ladder, they might kick out to the sides, since you are leaning over the center. Two more helpers might be needed to steady the ladders.

Sorry I can't help you on the gasket issue. Does the manufacturer of your unit sell them?

Good luck
OK so total of 3 monkeys.

I'm thinking the camco mite not be a big turd as previously thought.like when I squeeze down on the gasket it will compress making it more dense. weird how the lever pads are dense but they to will get compressed when tightening the unit.
thanks Guys for advice I'll post up how it was done for the next Guy.