Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Plant-based insect repellent

I looked for Repel Lemon Eucalyptus insect repellent locally this summer but couldn't find it. On my last trip to the U.S., I found it at a Fred Meyer store in Washington. It's too late for me to use it this year but I will try it next summer.

Manufacturer Link:
http://www.repel.com/ProductCategories/ ... ucalyptus/

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnil ... pdates.htm

CDC recommended repellents:
Quote:
DEET (Chemical Name: N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide or N,N-diethly-3-methyl-benzamide)
Picaridin (KBR 3023, Chemical Name: 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-piperidinecarboxylic acid 1-methylpropyl ester )
Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus* or PMD (Chemical Name: para-Menthane-3,8-diol) the synthesized version of oil of lemon eucalyptus
IR3535 (Chemical Name: 3-[N-Butyl-N-acetyl]-aminopropionic acid, ethyl ester)

EPA characterizes the active ingredients DEET and Picaridin as “conventional repellents” and Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, PMD, and IR3535 as “biopesticide repellents”, which are derived from natural materials.

* Note: This recommendation refers to EPA-registered repellent products containing the active ingredient oil of lemon eucalyptus (or PMD). “Pure” oil of lemon eucalyptus (e.g. essential oil) has not received similar, validated testing for safety and efficacy, is not registered with EPA as an insect repellent, and is not covered by this CDC recommendation.
Basically, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus is an option for anyone who wants to avoid DEET or Picaridin. I don't know the risks to health from using DEET or Picaridin if there are any. DW won't use them.

Quote:
Note that the label for products containing oil of lemon eucalyptus specifies that they should not to be used on children under the age of three years.
Has anyone here tried Repel Lemon Eucalyptus insect repellent?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote