Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 03:20 AM   #21

I usually have good luck on Craigslist -purchased motorcycles cars with no problems-

but I did get scammed on Craigslist too -
I purchased a car- the digital odometer had been turned back a lot -
and newer brake/gas pedal rubbers -

In Austin there is pretty much zero used class B vans available -

Im going to go to Sportsmobile location here and check them out -
Groovy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:45 AM   #22
Platinum Member

I almost got stung a few months ago. The deal was working along for a Rialta when the seller got squirrely about delivery via some "Pay Pal has the papers at its holding facility" thing...and the provided link was obviously bogus.

Virtually any "must sell, being deployed/PCSed/whatever" is bogus, according to a friend in law enforcement. And, of course, any deal that looks too good...
Old 06-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman53 View Post
I almost got stung a few months ago. The deal was working along for a Rialta when the seller got squirrely about delivery via some "Pay Pal has the papers at its holding facility" thing...and the provided link was obviously bogus.

Virtually any "must sell, being deployed/PCSed/whatever" is bogus, according to a friend in law enforcement. And, of course, any deal that looks too good...
Was this in Roaring Branch, PA by chance? Like too good of a price to be true? Because thats the scam that I came across the other day.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy2 View Post
I usually have good luck on Craigslist -purchased motorcycles cars with no problems-

but I did get scammed on Craigslist too -
I purchased a car- the digital odometer had been turned back a lot -
and newer brake/gas pedal rubbers -

In Austin there is pretty much zero used class B vans available -

Im going to go to Sportsmobile location here and check them out -
If you are in Austin, your four options are:

Sportsmobile for a custom rig.
Camper Clinic 2 for Airstream Interstates (they used to have PWs, but dropped them.)
Stahmann RV for Roadtreks and Winnebagos.
PPL Motorhomes in New Braunfels for used "B"s.

Class "B"s go very quickly here, just because there isn't much space to park/store stuff in the city, they are one of the only RV types allowed unless you can fence your rig completely in, and MPG is decent.

You -might- find a used one pop up on RVTrader, but look at it carefully. Sometimes people will drive them in from coastal states and price them low... not expecting a Texan to notice extensive rust damage.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #25
Platinum Member

No, showtime, it was an Ohio "address".

And then there was the old "My dear husband died unexpectedly, and we had such loving times together traveling that I now must sacrifice this RV to rid myself of this vehicle for my peace of mind. I cry whenever I see it in the driveway..." Caveat emptor.

For some reason, Rialtas seem to be very popular as bait. I think Westys are close behind.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:20 AM   #26
Bronze Member

I saw several ads like this earlier in the year. The person was station in Utah or Nevada typically. Price was too good, smelled like a fish on the beach for too long. Walk away and don't reply.