Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Pleasure-Way Awning recall

In case anyone here is not aware of the current issue with Fiamma F45 andF65 Eagle awnings on many recent Pleasure-Ways, including mine!

I imagine this same awning is on other brands of van campers too.

I have already put safety straps on mine pending resolution from Fiamma - hope that won't be too long in coming but I am apprehensive!

https://www.rvtravel.com/pleasure-wa...YjzWF4NW6M7y6w
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Bronze Member

From the linked post:
"Pleasure-Way will notify owners, and dealers will install straps to keep the awning closed, as a temporary solution, free of charge. Fiamma will provide a permanent solution."

Now, that's an easy solution...as long as we don't mind packing a step ladder for our next trip.
Neals384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Yep, got my telescopic 9.5 ft ladder from amazon. About $105 Canadian, it collapses to 18"x3"x30" and weighs 15 lbs. I would also get me on the roof if need be!

Seems decent quality for the $ and easy to use - I used it last weekend on a camping trip (Canadian Thanksgiving!)

I mainly bought it because we are going an an extended trip this winter and I am not too optimistic about a proper fix from Fiamma before we leave, this problematic issue has been known already for quite some time!

Of course the safest thing to do is to strap the awning cosed and never to use it again untl a proper fix is available.

There is no guarantee that the awning won't fail when you remove the straps and try to use it!

I understand that if it does fail can be a bugger to get ot back in place so you can travel, and likely the hand crank won't work either if the problem is a gear failure!

As far as I know, this awning has springs in the arms, and it is spring loaded to extend. It is only held in the retracted position by the worm gear drive - no safety latches.

If the plastic gearing fails - as has happened - the awning will fly out due to the springs - not under control by the motor.

As well as the straps, I am also carrying long ratchet straps to help me pull the awning back in place in order to travel if it should fail during our trip.

Be great if there is a proper fix I can get installed before next Feb - but I am not holding my breath!

I don't know which vans use the Fiamma F45 and F65 Eagle awnings - mine is a 2019 Pleasure.Way.

I gather they are used on some Airstream Interstates, not sure what makes.

Fingers crossed for a solution! I tried to have mine swapped for a manual awning with legs when we ordered our van but was told that it would not be an option! Still would rather have manual with legs rather than electric with no legs I think, especially now!

Brian.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Yup, we zip tied our awning yesterday just to be safe. We are going to the Pleasure-Way Sarasota, FL rally next month where this will surely be a discussion topic. I hope Fiamma comes up with a robust solution.
svIntuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Finally received my recall notice and temporary straps in the mail last week. Sure took them long enough to send that! Really appreciate this thread as it allowed us to take precautions during the delay.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #6

I would think that after strapping the awning closed it might be a good idea to pull the fuse or breaker so that the awning can't be operated with the straps in position.
Topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

In my 2019 PW Plateau FL, there is just a 15A breaker dedicated to the awning, however it is a push button breaker and not one that provide you teh opportunity to trip it manually.

What you can do however is to locate the Fiamma awning controller box - in my case, found under the driver's side rear ottoman, and pull out the multicondutor connector and that will eliminate the possibility of power reaching the awning motor.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Thank you, B-Guy! I have done as you suggest.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
Bronze Member

I emailed PW to let them know I had self-installed the straps, and to ask about the timeline for a permanent fix. I received a nice response. In part:

"What we know so far is that Fiamma is issuing a solution mid-December and parts will be available mid-January. There will be another letter for the permanent fix."

Permanent fix communication will be direct from Fiamma, not via PW.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
Platinum Member

From what I understand as of a couple of days ago, it is hoped that Fiamma will be able to make the parts needed for the "Fix" available in January.

I gather that fix will include:

- A modified lead bar end cap to help ensure that the limit switch that contacts the lead bar to cut off power to the motor when the awning is retracted will not become misaligned and thus inoperative. (If the limit switch is inoperative, the motor contnues to try to wind teh awning in when already fully retracted and the drive mechanism can become damaged and fail, allowing undesired deployment of the awning.)

- A re-designed winch assembly. The existing winch assembly has a casing split in two parts, held together (I believe) by rivets. There have been cases where the two sides of the casing begin to separate due to gear forces, allowing the gears to slip and the awning to extend when not desired.

- A fusible link in the 12v supply to the awning motor (In addition to the 15A breaker aready installed.) I would think this is intended to blow before damage is caused by the motor in the event event of an electrical malfunction.

I'm not certain, but I think Fiamma will provide this kit of parts to the owners who will then arrange with RV dealers to install teh parts, being re-imbursed by Fiamma.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:26 AM   #11
Bronze Member

I received a call from Fiamma yesterday. They have the parts needed to confirm my mailing address and email before shipping them to me - "they should go out this week". They also asked where I would have the installation done.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #12

I also received a voicemail from Fiama today. The message said they needed more information before the part could be shipped. I tried to return the call but because the voicemail was somewhat corrupted, I could not hear the extension number of the person calling to get in touch with her.
Does anyone have a record of the number to call?

Not knowing of a repair shop personally, I was hoping to do the repair myself.
I am familiar with the lateral arm awnings and one of my suppliers for my business handles most parts for a similar brand.
I wonder if they will let us repair these ourselves?
Old 01-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
Bronze Member

We received our kit last week. If you email Fiamma they will send a pdf of instructions for the repair.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
I also received a voicemail from Fiama today. The message said they needed more information before the part could be shipped. I tried to return the call but because the voicemail was somewhat corrupted, I could not hear the extension number of the person calling to get in touch with her.
Does anyone have a record of the number to call?

Not knowing of a repair shop personally, I was hoping to do the repair myself.
I am familiar with the lateral arm awnings and one of my suppliers for my business handles most parts for a similar brand.
I wonder if they will let us repair these ourselves?
407 602-1099 ext 602. That will get you to an automated prompt.."if you are calling Miranda, type 999; if you are calling Bob, ..."

For me it was Miranda.

They did ask what repair shop will be doing it for me - does not have to be a Fiamma dealer. Lawyers and insurance people probably made the call on this. Won't hurt to ask about self-installing tho.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:13 PM   #15

Thanks for that number.
I did email Fiama and they also recommended that number or else try emailing: warranty@fiammausa.com.
Might be an idea to keep that address as well.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Got my upgrade kit installed today by Can AM RV in London Ont. They had the van for maybe two hours.

Fingers crossed that is an end to it! We never did have a problem with ours to this date.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #17

Okay, I contacted Fiama today by phone and gave my info to receive the kit.
They said I could take the coach to any RV repair place and have them do the installation.
They said the repair should only take 45 minutes or less and the repair shop can invoice Fiama for that time.
I think they said I would receive a tracking number to let me know when the kit might arrive.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:44 AM   #18

Hello Fiamma lovers. I had my F65 recall kit installed today by a dealer who was able to install in the allotted 45 minutes. The new winch, fusable link, and black plastic end piece seemed to work as the mechanic shook the awning and it retracted as it should in a windy condition. When I got home I tried to extend my awning it had no power. Checked the circuit breaker, doors, and owner's manual. Checked the new fusable link and it had blown the 6.3 amp fuse it came with. I installed the closest fuse I could find which was a 7 amp. It retracted and extended several times with no problems. Then the last time it went in it blew that fuse too. Is there something wrong with the micro switch or is the new black plastic end cap not doing its job? Has anyone had a problem after the recall kit was installed?
BrandonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #19

Do you know if they did a "finger test" as the installation manual recommends?
With the awning extended and stopped out around 3' or so, retract the awning and manually push the micro switch to make sure the awning stops.
I would imagine if the adjustment is not right, the motor and winch will keep running at the stopping position and then blow the fuse.
If you hand crank the awning out a few inches or so, and then crank it in, and the cap rests on the micro switch, you are suppose to be able to hear the micro switch "click".
Old 01-31-2020, 11:52 AM   #20
Bronze Member

Sounds like the micro switch needs to be adjusted. The fuse is there to protect against the motor continuing to run and stripping the gears after the awning is closed.