Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #1

Default Pleasure Way Lexor/Class B Initial Impressions

We're long time campers with many different models through the years but new to class B camping. It's my wife and I and 80#dog. Here are some initial impressions after taking out the van for two trips.
1. It's tight. Especially with the dog at night. We particularly selected the PW Lexor as we thought it gave us the best floor space. It's best if the dog sleeps on the raised platform in the front lounge. Also, we are learning our organization skills to pack efficiently. I am adding shelves in the closet as well as the under sink cabinet.
2. We're struggling with the sheets. My wife has sewed specially fitted sheets; one full to fit the entire sofa bed then two smaller for the bench seats. The ultra leather is very slick and we find the sheets come loose very easily. We'll probably try some sort of velcro combination next.
3. The air conditioner is loud. One night was very hot and we slept with the air on. It's right overhead and disruptively loud.
4. 3 way fridge. I've found the fridge works superb on propane (when camped) or on battery (when driving) but I've had trouble 'pre-cooling' the fridge on electric while still at home on our driveway. It is on a slope but PW folks say it should cool fine while on electric even though not level. I have found it shuts off. PW thinks I have interrupted the electric supply and since it's not automatic, I need to manually turn it on again. I'll try to take more care prior to our next trip.
5. The 6 cylinder Dodge struggled with wind on the highway. I was trying to maintain 68mph and it was down shifting regularly. A rough mileage check was 13.5. I have a covered trailer and motorcycle which I plan on towing (1950lbs) but am having second thoughts.
6. Our first night out rained and we found wet sand was ruining our carpeted ledge behind the passenger seat. We need a rug there to protect it.
7. PW build quality is excellent. Our only issue is with the bathroom taps--the diverter doesn't work and water comes out the shower when turning on the faucet. The Ask Pleasure Way rep is sending out another faucet. This really isn't an issue with PW build however and we are very pleased with the quality workmanship.
8. We're learning about the battery, charger, and inverter. This is new to us and it's a real education. I found a blog 'Can I leave this on' dated March 12, 2019 to be great information.

The jury is still out on whether this is the best for us. It's our only vehicle when we're camped and not sure if a separate car and trailer might be better. Hope I didn't ramble too much and look forward to any suggestions others may have.
jimservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #2

I enjoyed reading your initial impressions report, best of luck to you with settling into your van. I could not find the “can I leave this on” blog with a google search. Can you provide a link? I’m trying educate myself in all things electrical as well. Many thanks!
ClssBLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #3

https://www.svintuition.com/2019/03/...e-this-on.html
tonyp063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
Gold Member

I can almost hear your dog grumbling "I had more room in those other rigs!"

You might wanna look into getting those combined sleeping systems (i.e. glorified sleeping bags)

RVSuperbag.com

https://beddys.com/collections/rvs-campers
tmshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Not sure about your fridge situation. Mine runs best on 120, then propane, then 12v. None of the old style fridges like unlevel conditions. If it's a Dometic fridge I'd consult the manual. I've read that it shouldn't appear too unlevel to you visually. Another thing I read is that if you use a bubble level, the bubble should at least touch part of the "centering circle" on the level. So if your drive has a mild slope, both of these conditions should be satisfied and, PW is correct. But if it's a steep slope maybe not.

Re the beds/bedding. We use sleeping bags as "mattress toppers." You may be able to secure something like that on top of your cushions to prevent sheet movement.

Also wind conditions plague all Bs to some extent. Many RVers won't drive in heavy winds.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #6

We have an Xalta, 24 foot and at times travel, with three dogs each weighing 60 pounds. We learn to step over a lot. Our couches are our twin beds so we can use an rv size twin set and a rv mattress cover so easy to stay on and use a nice cover for day use as a couch. We put shelves in the wardrobe and that gave us much needed storage. We have learned what is absolute necessities. We did put a screen on the back door so we can open it up and give us more light and not so small feeling. Enjoy your travels and you will learn as you go along.
2blacklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Congratulations on getting your new rig! I have a 2017 PW Lexor TS and love it, as you will your FL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of your comments suggests that off-level fridge operation is okay when the power source is electrical, rather than LPG. That's not the case--when it's being used, and regardless of operating mode, the fridge should be level at all times, within the tolerances given in your fridge manual. In my case, that's plus-or-minus 3 degrees fore-and-aft, and plus-or-minus 6 degrees side-to-side. I'm pretty sure yours is the same. You get a free pass while driving, unless you're tackling an exceptionally long and steep grade, but I have to confess that I never turn the fridge off when in motion.

As to dogs, we're always accompanied by two Labs. While the space is indeed tight, we and the dogs are used to it and do fine.
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:58 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Congratulations on your Lexor. We have a 2018 Lexor TS and wrote the Can I leave this on blog post. My creative wife made fitted sheets for the ottomans and we nailed Velcro to the cushion backs for the hook side and she sewed the loop side to the sheets. We use a twin bed fitted sheet of the same pattern to go on the couch. She made an extra wide top sheet to cover the whole (wider than a queen size) bed. We roll the sheets, blanket, and comforter up and put them in a hammock that suspends behind the couch and hooks into the seat belt tabs. We will do a blog post on the method when we have better connectivity. Currently three months into a wander around North America spending tonight in Elk Point, Alberta.
svIntuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Jim, I don't think that the response of the fridge to being on a slope differs no matter what the source of energy. In all cases, be it propane, 12vdc or 110vac the objective is to create source of heat to support circulation of the solution within the refrigeration system.

The only thing I recall reading from Dometic about the reasonable inclination levels for correct operation of their absorption fridges is 3 degrees side to side and 6 degrees back to front. These figures relate to the the fridge itself, not the vehicle.

So if the fridge in mounted along one side of the RV when the RV is parked on a slope, then that slope should be no more than about 3 degrees.

That is just about what my driveway is and the fridge seems to work fine when plugged in to 110vac when parked on our drive.

You might want to confirm what the slope of your drive actually is - it may be that you fridge would be outside these limits and not perform well on your drive no no matter
the source of energy.

Just my thoughts! Could be something entirely different!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #10

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I have learned:
1) When pre-cooling the fridge before our departure, I will put our unit out onto the street where it's level, then plug in using an extension cord.
2) Others have had frustrations with the bedsheets. Really like/look fwd to SvIntuitions creativity with the velcro (our idea as well) and upcoming blog. Your hammock sounds amazing. As for the bags/superbags/liners, we thought we'd take a ride to our local REI and see what they may have available. They may not fit the bill but it's at least a start.
3). Upfitters Resource sells a quiet, roof mount a/c. We really aren't a/c people and much prefer the screens down with the side and back doors open but it's good to know this is an option should the heat and humidity be too much.
4). I need to ease up on the accelerator. I'm recently retired and this concept of time is still lost on me.
5). We need to hit the road more!

Thanks again. This forum is really helpful to make the whole Class B thing much more enjoyable. Much appreciated!
jimservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Jim,
FYI there are two, very active, Pleasure-Way groups on Facebook and a Yahoo group. All of those have searchable archives which can be quite helpful. There are two Owner’s Clubs in the US (East & West), plus one in Canada. The Pleasure-Way website has the contact information. The clubs sponsor rallys where we get together to make new friends and exchange ideas (and eat). Pleasure-Way often sends a representative to answer questions and do on-site fixes to vans, no matter what the age. We have been to eight Rallys in our four years of ownership and highly recommend them to any new owner.
svIntuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We just bought our 2016 P-W Lexor TS and so far love it. I share your sheet frustrations. We sleep with the split twin configuration. Next time out, we will try out silk sleeping bag liners, which are essentially bags with the top open and 3/4 of one side that can be open or fastened with velcro "buttons". I think this will make them easy to get in and out of. They take up very little space in their stuff sacks and are very nice against the skin.

-Mike
reilym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #13

Default Lexor Mileage

I have about 4000 miles on my 2019 Lexor FL and since new it has gotten about 18 mpg. I don't run it over 70 mph.
kanes@frontier.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #14

Default Lexor

I thought an extension cord was Never to be used! Correct or not?
Kdbjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Awesome feedback are getting from many one. its really amazed me for such kind of feedback. Appreciated from my end always.
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

You'll find that with the FCA Pentastar V6 and a heavy vehicle that it's better to run the Promaster in 5th gear when you get into hilly and/or windy conditions. Won't hurt anything but a slight decrease in gas mileage, maybe 1/2 mile per gallon. Also, you'll want to disable cruise control in these conditions as it'll make it downshift even more trying to maintain a set speed.
We get right at 14.6mpg over the first 16k miles in our Travato, '18 chassis, figuring actual gallons used vs miles driven. That also includes the generator hours too....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #17

Thanks for the review/impressions. I'm still trying to decide between a Class B and a car/truck towing a small trailer, and the answer seems to be related to which camping style I will adopt: Will I be a camp and stay type or a constantly moving type of nomad? Class B vans seem to suit best those nomads who are constantly moving, or camp in one spot for no more than a day or two, since it allows them to make frequent stops at spots optimized for regular length cars during their travels. On the other hand, those who tow a trailer or a towed seem to be happier setting up camp and staying for a while, and making occasional trips into town for resupplies or to sightsee. I need to decide which type of camper I really am and choose my rig accordingly...
Cal 20 Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #18
Bud
Platinum Member

"I need to decide which type of camper I really am and choose my rig accordingly..."

For the 'most part' yes, or maybe not. There are those where money is of no importance, period. They want to go out to the driveway and drive off to camp for 4 days, want the handling, etc. and will not spend much time in the B. But opposite is cost matters and will go camping in the rain spending lots of time in the trailer wanting the spaciousness.

Have fun shopping and thinking, sorting it out.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:36 PM   #19

Bud: Thanks, but I think your reply is a bit of a non sequitur: How is a small trailer necessarily less spacious than a Class B, and why would the trailer camper be more inclined than a Class B camper to camp for days in the rain? Either way, van or trailer, I'd be inclined to move to a better location if I saw a front of bad weather moving in rather than stick it... My point is, I can see the appeal of a Class B for moving at the spur of the moment or easily pulling into a parking stall to sightsee or go shopping, but it can be more of a hassle to pack up camp just to make a run to the store or go sightseeing and possibly lose your campsite while gone. Leaving a tent behind to "claim" the spot could work, but if I'm going to be set there for a while, why not just leave the rig there and make the run in the tow vehicle with probably better fuel mileage now that the rig is no longer being towed? Anyway, that's the dilemma for the time being, and who knows I might end up swapping to the other after trying the first...
Cal 20 Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #20
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal 20 Sailor View Post
Bud: Thanks, but I think your reply is a bit of a non sequitur: How is a small trailer necessarily less spacious than a Class B, and why would the trailer camper be more inclined than a Class B camper to camp for days in the rain? Either way, van or trailer, I'd be inclined to move to a better location if I saw a front of bad weather moving in rather than stick it... My point is, I can see the appeal of a Class B for moving at the spur of the moment or easily pulling into a parking stall to sightsee or go shopping, but it can be more of a hassle to pack up camp just to make a run to the store or go sightseeing and possibly lose your campsite while gone. Leaving a tent behind to "claim" the spot could work, but if I'm going to be set there for a while, why not just leave the rig there and make the run in the tow vehicle with probably better fuel mileage now that the rig is no longer being towed? Anyway, that's the dilemma for the time being, and who knows I might end up swapping to the other after trying the first...
I agree with the above except I was not trying to say a trailer was less spacious, the opposite. One of the advantages of a trailer, not a teardrop though.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote