Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Pleasure Way Plateau-Ford

A little over a year ago the following was posted on this forum.
https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...sit-11317.html
As mentioned in the post it was made for the rental market and never sold to the public. Now some are popping up for sale and I'm looking at a 2020. 21'9" with dual rear wheels.
Now that model is badged as an Ontour. Guessing they wanted to differentiate from the Mercedes version.
Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with the Plateau/Ford?
Also anything helpful re: Pleasure Way?
Thanks,
Steve
nvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Steve, my PW is a 2006 Lexor TD on the Chev.
we bought it at 8 years old w/80k on it.

PW has the same owners now, same plant in Saskatoon, I'd expect many of the same workers.( I have friends in SK, the company has a good reputation in town)

I am very happy with the build quality of my B
the AC, DC, gas, plumbing and waste systems all laid out well, the cabinetry and quality of build and materials all very good

There are a 1/2 dozen PW's on my neighborhood dog walk route

1 neighbor had a few recall issues with his ( '18 model? on a MB ) but didn't seem to know what the issues were...vehicle or RV, he was notified and took it in.

He did loose a few weeks use while it was at the dealer- but seems satisfied

I did rent the pass van version of the ford and hated the driver seat and position

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:01 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks Mike. In my limited research it seems their quality is very good.
Think you're on a Harley forum I frequent.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:11 PM   #4
Platinum Member

yes could be, although Mark Knopfler is an "MKguitar" as well

Shoulder injury/damage/surgery/rehab has me off the larger bikes, but the trail 90 is getting used !

Mike
Old 12-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It's always been sold to the public, at least from what I've seen on the PleasureWay Group. It is on the Ford. As a side note, stay as far away from any MB chassis as you can. POS Hard to believe people are still being fooled by the worst chassis on the market. They went from being the workhorse of vehicles, to the least reliable.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:32 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
It's always been sold to the public, at least from what I've seen on the PleasureWay Group. It is on the Ford. As a side note, stay as far away from any MB chassis as you can. POS Hard to believe people are still being fooled by the worst chassis on the market. They went from being the workhorse of vehicles, to the least reliable.
Thanks for your reply. Supposedly there were only 300 Plateau TS's made on the Ford frame for Canadian rental outfits. This came from 2 sources. Now that platform is badged as the Ontour. Either way The ford platform is what I'm leaning toward. They have the same motor as my F150 which I really like.
Agree with you on the MB platform. Didn't realize they had issues but maintenance costs are a concern. Also thought the engine performance was up to what I like.
Thanks again,
Steve
Old 12-30-2021, 06:12 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsteve View Post
The ford platform is what I'm leaning toward. They have the same motor as my F150
this makes total sense to me

if you have a ford you just "know" what you are looking at when you open the hood

that drove me to the chev, I have the manuals, tools and experience ( confidence to0 ) because I have a gm pick up with similar drivetrain

I already know where the sensors are what it takes to change the serpentine ( 1 x 15mm) vehicles share oil filters and fluid types

so it makes sense to get a platform where you can do maint. and save a few bucks

Mike
Old 12-30-2021, 06:23 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Supposedly there were only 300 Plateau TS's made on the Ford frame for Canadian rental outfits. This came from 2 sources. Now that platform is badged as the Ontour. Either way The ford platform is what I'm leaning toward. They have the same motor as my F150 which I really like.
Agree with you on the MB platform. Didn't realize they had issues but maintenance costs are a concern. Also thought the engine performance was up to what I like.
Thanks again,
Steve
That is correct. There was a small number made as OnTour prototypes on the Ford Transit 3500 chassis. They’ve been out and about in the public’s hands for some time now so don’t feel like you’re the first. Far from it. Apart from rentals being scaled down and less complex from normal models, you might be lacking in a few things that normal OnTours have, but that’s what it is. All I’ve heard on the PW forums has been positive. Everyone has been happy with them. If you don’t know much about PW the company, go to their website and read about them. Family owned and operated since the beginning. Now second generation and Dad is still involved. Employees are pretty much lifetime employees with many being there since the beginning and as the company grew. They treat their employees as well as their customers like extended family.
There are several groups on Facebook for owners and wannabes as well as a dedicated OnTour group. When you have your rig, you can join the various owners groups. We have an owners group that’s not on FB as well that’s been going almost since the beginning if you are like many and don’t want to deal with FB.
bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:30 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl_smith25 View Post
That is correct. There was a small number made as OnTour prototypes on the Ford Transit 3500 chassis. They’ve been out and about in the public’s hands for some time now so don’t feel like you’re the first. Far from it. Apart from rentals being scaled down and less complex from normal models, you might be lacking in a few things that normal OnTours have, but that’s what it is. All I’ve heard on the PW forums has been positive. Everyone has been happy with them. If you don’t know much about PW the company, go to their website and read about them. Family owned and operated since the beginning. Now second generation and Dad is still involved. Employees are pretty much lifetime employees with many being there since the beginning and as the company grew. They treat their employees as well as their customers like extended family.
There are several groups on Facebook for owners and wannabes as well as a dedicated OnTour group. When you have your rig, you can join the various owners groups. We have an owners group that’s not on FB as well that’s been going almost since the beginning if you are like many and don’t want to deal with FB.
Thanks for the reply. I really don't want to deal with FB. Would you point me to the owner's that you mentioned? I'm close to buying a PW and would love to join.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl_smith25 View Post
I agree with this post. I have a PW and visit the FB PW website/forum often. If it was a Canada Dream rental. Check out what features they have and compare with PW website Ontour model. The rentals made for Canada Dream tend have fewer options compared to the ones manufactured for retail market. However, they are still made with same quality, one finds in all PW.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:54 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I agree with this post. I have a PW and visit the FB PW website/forum often. If it was a Canada Dream rental. Check out what features they have and compare with PW website Ontour model. The rentals made for Canada Dream tend have fewer options compared to the ones manufactured for retail market. However, they are still made with same quality, one finds in all PW.
The former Canada Dream rental is exactly what I'm looking at. Have seen all the service records. They really take good care of their rentals. I did compare it to new Ontours. They are very close to the same options.
Thanks for your reply.
Steve
Old 12-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Rlum
You got me to checking a little further. The one I'm looking at doesn't have a screen door at the entry point. Deal breaker unless there's a relatively inexpensive way to add one.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:38 PM   #13
Platinum Member

many of us have made screen doors

for my van the "screen door" is the "as seen on tv" screen with the magnets in the middle

the screen material is a paper/plastic kind of material which sticks directly to the hook velcro I have around our door openings

these are like $10 and last a couple of years
Old 12-30-2021, 09:45 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
many of us have made screen doors

for my van the "screen door" is the "as seen on tv" screen with the magnets in the middle

the screen material is a paper/plastic kind of material which sticks directly to the hook velcro I have around our door openings

these are like $10 and last a couple of years
That certainly is a thought. We have one of those on a door that goes from our laundry room to the garage. Works sort of ok. Have a really smart dog that would take 2 seconds for him to figure his way out. So probably wouldn't work for us. Will check price for installation of a good one.
Thanks for the idea.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:09 PM   #15
Site Team

There are several high quality collapsable screens available that work quite well. The one on our current rig collapses accordion-style. ARV used to use the same one. Davydd posted the following link to what they apparently use now:

https://www.metroscreenworks.com/ret...creen-doors-1/

I will most likely use the same one.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:17 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
There are several high quality collapsable screens available that work quite well. The one on our current rig collapses accordion-style. ARV used to use the same one. Davydd posted the following link to what they apparently use now:

https://www.metroscreenworks.com/ret...creen-doors-1/

I will most likely use the same one.
That's a good thought. We have the same thing (different mfg.) on our front door and two doors leading to patio.
Thanks.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:51 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Rlum
You got me to checking a little further. The one I'm looking at doesn't have a screen door at the entry point. Deal breaker unless there's a relatively inexpensive way to add one.
You can make a really simple and inexpensive door. I made a couple of them with Amazon products. Velcro and magnets. They work OK. Finally broke down and purchased the Rolef screens. These are very, very expensive.

I installed them. They are 10 times more expensive than home made ones. About 2 years ago while I was camping. The squirrels were very aggressive and came into the camper under the screens when I was inside. They were very reluctant to leave my camper. I decided my next screen would/could prevent this from happening. Rolefs are weighted on bottom and create enough of a seal where small animals cannot get in. Again, they are not cheap. PW and Winnebago now provide the Rolefs as standard equipment. You can look Rolefs up. Canadian based product. Extremely well made and very, very expensive. I think well worth the money after dealing with those squirrels.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:37 AM   #18
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
You can make a really simple and inexpensive door. I made a couple of them with Amazon products. Velcro and magnets. They work OK. Finally broke down and purchased the Rolef screens. These are very, very expensive.

I installed them. They are 10 times more expensive than home made ones. About 2 years ago while I was camping. The squirrels were very aggressive and came into the camper under the screens when I was inside. They were very reluctant to leave my camper. I decided my next screen would/could prevent this from happening. Rolefs are weighted on bottom and create enough of a seal where small animals cannot get in. Again, they are not cheap. PW and Winnebago now provide the Rolefs as standard equipment. You can look Rolefs up. Canadian based product. Extremely well made and very, very expensive. I think well worth the money after dealing with those squirrels.
Thank you, I'll check out Rolefs. Are they expensive? Ha! Just kidding.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:23 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
That certainly is a thought. We have one of those on a door that goes from our laundry room to the garage. Works sort of ok. Have a really smart dog that would take 2 seconds for him to figure his way out. So probably wouldn't work for us. Will check price for installation of a good one.
Thanks for the idea.
The Rolef has a foam weight in a sleeve on the bottom. It is pretty light so a small dog could push out of way. If you do not want your small pets to get out. You could replace with a wood dowel (2 inch) would probably keep pet from moving. Or you just add a metal bar into sleeve holding the foam?
Old 12-31-2021, 06:39 PM   #20
Platinum Member

pleasure way tip:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post135663