Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #1

Default Pleasureway in mountains

Can anyone tell me how 2018 Pleasureway does goig up 8% grade? How about 10%. This is Pentastar 3.6l.
Mike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:25 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Mike99!

From other posts about Promaster class b's, the owner's have no complaints. Some have reported they don't zip up steep grades, but with a gear or two down can keep up with traffic. I'm frankly surprised they are reported to do as well as they do with added weight of the class b conversion. A tribute to modern V-6 engines.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:28 AM   #3
Platinum Member

IIRC one member did post about getting front wheel spinning on very steep grades, but I don't recall what all the conditions were.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
IIRC one member did post about getting front wheel spinning on very steep grades, but I don't recall what all the conditions were.
I recall that. I think they were driving up a levee or something. Not a typical roadway environment.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I recall that. I think they were driving up a levee or something. Not a typical roadway environment.

The levee comment was in the same discussion, I think, but was a different poster that said he was able to drive up a levee.

It may have been in the Transit thread?

On edit, found the post.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post97794
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:35 AM   #6
Platinum Member

We have lots of 'mountain time' in our 92,000 miles of Promaster travels. Mountain performance is satisfactory, but not exhilarating. We often manually downshift - - as the transmission seems reluctant to do so - - in order to accelerate or, at times, maintain speed.
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:10 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
We have lots of 'mountain time' in our 92,000 miles of Promaster travels. Mountain performance is satisfactory, but not exhilarating. We often manually downshift - - as the transmission seems reluctant to do so - - in order to accelerate or, at times, maintain speed.
Your experience is line with what I've heard, and honestly, no rv is going to be happy going up grades carrying more than double it's original weight. Darned impressive that they do as well as they do.

92,000 miles! You must have seen a lot of places and have some stories to tell.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Sorry for the off-topic, but yes, those 92,000 miles were the end of a 6 year project encompassing nearly a quarter million overall miles to find a geocache in every county of this country. Done now (except for the former leper colony in Hawaii that has no geocaches) and looking to . . . as one writer suggested "slow down", stop, stay, smell the roses . . . relax. We're trying to 'retrain' ourselves to be lazy.
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Sorry for the off-topic, but yes, those 92,000 miles were the end of a 6 year project encompassing nearly a quarter million overall miles to find a geocache in every county of this country. Done now (except for the former leper colony in Hawaii that has no geocaches) and looking to . . . as one writer suggested "slow down", stop, stay, smell the roses . . . relax. We're trying to 'retrain' ourselves to be lazy.
Had to look up geocashe.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #10
Platinum Member

An 8% grade is quite steep. Big questions are what is road surface and how fast do you need or want to be going?

As a frame of reference the grade up the Eisenhower Tunnel approaches in Colorado is 6%. Between the grade and altitude of 11,000 feet the non-turbo Promaster struggles. We have a 2019 Travato K and even if you can keep your speed up you’ll slow to 50 or so. And this is while keeping the engine revs pretty high. Thankfully the really challenging section is not very long so just stay in the right lane and it’s over quickly.

There is a similar challenge on Highway 50 to Tahoe in California. The altitude is 7,000 feet so there is more air for the van than in Colorado but the grade in parts in 7%. Traffic can make it harder to keep speed up and my observation is the Travato works really hard to stay at even 50 mph, at times dropping below that. Other than these more extreme situations the Promaster does surprising well hauling the nearly 10,000 pounds of the Travato up grades and mountain passes.

If the 8% grade is not on a highway (few national highways exceed 7%) then hopefully the speed limit is lower and you’ll be OK - the engine will have to be kept at high rpm’s to maintain power and speed - it makes some racket but the Pentastar twin cam engine is designed to run at high rpms so don’t fret it.

Traction is a separate issue. Going from a standing start on a 8% grade on a slippery surface is going to be very challenging with the front wheel drive. The grade shifts the weight over the non-driving rear wheels and it’s problematic. I have been on very steep (don’t know the grade) and windy paved roads where I very nearly get stuck trying to go from a standing start. Some wheel spin and smoke and I barely go going. Be very cautious.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post
Can anyone tell me how 2018 Pleasureway does goig up 8% grade? How about 10%. This is Pentastar 3.6l.
I have traveled I-26 from SC to NC, which has a 7% grade. I have a Lexor FL.
I was towing my enclosed trailer and motorcycle, about 1800 lbs, I was able to keep it at. 55 mph in 4th gear.
MotoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #12

Default Uphill in the Pleasureway

We have a 2011 Pleasureway, have gone up real steep grades with no trouble at all, but we have an 8 cylinder.
shelleybeauvais is offline   Reply With Quote