Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default PLUMBING PROBLEM - Winnebago ERA

OK ... here's the problem. When the valve for the hot water tank is open (not on bypass) I get plenty of HOT water. When I move the single lever tap handle down to COLD ... nothing. No HOT or COLD water.
When I put the valve on HW tank on bypass I get plenty of COLD water from the fresh water tank BUT the tap lever is on the HOT water position.

When I put the tap lever down to the COLD water position it literally does not pump any water ... so if I want HOT water I have to open the HW tank bypass. If I want COLD water, I have to close the bypass valve on the HW tank.

Is this an indication that the single lever kitchen tap is malfunctioning?? I don't have this issue with the bathroom taps that have separate HOT & COLD water taps or the outside shower that has HOT & COLD water taps.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
Karsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: PLUMBING PROBLEM - Winnebago ERA

It certainly could be an indication that the single lever kitchen tap is not working. Or maybe the cold line is blocked or kinked somehow. Do you have any shut-off valves under the sink?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Bronze Member

No "markopolo" ... there is no shut-off valves under sink. After I removed the faucet I have discovered something strange however. The RV dealer made an emergency repair for me last year when I was leaking from one of the water lines coming from the water filter. This appears to be the line leading to the cold water side of the kitchen faucet. They disconnected the water line going to the water filter/diverter and capped it off. On closer examination it appears that the cold water line ran throughout these lines and then back out the other side to the line leading to the tap. Apparently by disconnecting the line and capping it off they might have totally bypassed the cold water line going to the kitchen sink faucet. It's hard for me to tell because the lines are not colour coded, but that's what I am suspecting right now.

It seems that as I suspected right from the beginning three years ago ... this dealer doesn't have a clue what they are doing.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
Old 10-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Do you have one of those sinks with a fold down into the bowl faucet with the glass cover? If you do you probably will not get satisfaction at a hardware store but would have to search RV supply stores. Probably would have to go back direct to Winnebago for a replacement unless you can find where the clog is and determine if it is repairable yourself. It is obviously your cold water side line connection of either a clog in the line or sink valve. So the first thing you need to do is check to see if there is water coming through your cold water feed before it gets to your faucet. If it doesn't, then your faucet is most likely OK. If water does come through to the point where it connects to your faucet, then your faucet is the culprit.

From your further description I think it most likely would be your cold water line. I just have a difficult time believing a faucet could go bad with so little use.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Do you have one of those sinks with a fold down into the bowl faucet with the glass cover? If you do you probably will not get satisfaction at a hardware store but would have to search RV supply stores. Probably would have to go back direct to Winnebago for a replacement unless you can find where the clog is and determine if it is repairable yourself. It is obviously your cold water side line connection of either a clog in the line or sink valve. So the first thing you need to do is check to see if there is water coming through your cold water feed before it gets to your faucet. If it doesn't, then your faucet is most likely OK. If water does come through to the point where it connects to your faucet, then your faucet is the culprit.

From your further description I think it most likely would be your cold water line. I just have a difficult time believing a faucet could go bad with so little use.
"Davydd" - As it turns out I think you are right about the tap. I just was in the RV and started to trace the lines. Where the dealer made the emergency repair the other year they totally by-passed the filter/diverter and capped off the line coming from the main water line. As it turns out the cold water kitchen line comes out the other end of the water filter/diverter assembly. In fact this was where it was leaking in the first place that necessitated the "emergency" repair. So ... as it turns out there has been no water going through this cold water line.

I am going to run up to the dealer on Monday and speak to the owner. I've spoke to him before about issues I've had with their service department and he told me to come straight to him if I had any issues.

Since I don't use the water filter and never have, I figure to just re-attached the kitchen cold water line back to the main line (where they capped it off) and I should be back in business ... <<<with fingers crossed>>>

The whole thing with this dealer has been a debacle since day one. Unfortuantely it has been an agonizing three years for this non mechanical guy to s-l-o-w-ly figure this stuff out.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsty
The whole thing with this dealer has been a debacle since day one. Unfortuantely it has been an agonizing three years for this non mechanical guy to s-l-o-w-ly figure this stuff out.
One of these days you are going to surprise yourself and start tackling projects like MarkoPolo and Booster do.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Davydd ... when I sit down to start discussing my "electrical needs" with Mike and/or Brittany or whoever ... that will be when I surprise myself. LOL