Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #1

Default Portable Gas Grill

Can anyone recommend a brand/model of a small portable gas grill that can be used outside that will tap into the external gas outlet of the RV? Some of them say that low pressure 2.8kPa is recommended. We have a 2019 Pleasureway Plateau XLTS.
dentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentman View Post
Can anyone recommend a brand/model of a small portable gas grill that can be used outside that will tap into the external gas outlet of the RV? Some of them say that low pressure 2.8kPa is recommended. We have a 2019 Pleasureway Plateau XLTS.
I think 2.8 kPa is just about 11 inches of water column (or just less than a half a psi which I belueve should be what the gas outlet on your PW should be. Ours is a 2019 Plateau and FL and its outlet is low pressure (I believe some RV's might have a high pressure quick disconnect in which cae you would need a bbq with a regulator - and high pressure hose.

Almost any portable BBQ can be set up to use on low pressure if it does not come so equipped.

I went to the trouble of converting out old portable Weber that we have used for years with our travel trailers for use on our new van.

But now I have done that I have decided against taking it anyway - it is large and messy to deal with - especially with less space in the van.

Instead I think I'll take along some of our newer innovations - sous vide, instant pot, convection hotplate, which we can use inside or out, with shore power or without, plus we have the cooktop in the van as well as convection microwave.

When I started to think about it, we lugged that BBQ around for so many miles and seldom used it more than once a week - if that.

As well, my guess is that out eating patterns might change a bit with the van. I am thinking we will likely eat out more and probably have main meals at lunch time more often with just a snack in the evening in the van. But if we want to cook up something special we can!

We'll see how it goes on our first long trip this winter. If we miss the bbq at all, I'll take it next time. We were planning to take all the other cooking equipt anyway so this will be one less item to find space for!

Brian.

(PS I did at one stage think about buying smaller BBQ for the van and found several nice stainless ones - one by Cammco and one by Kuumo I think was the name.)
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:11 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Mine is a Camco I think? Amazon or Camping w]world has them. Perfect little stainless steel grill fits perfectly in the Travato outlet. We’ve grilled rack of Lamb, potatoes, Porterhouses, etc.
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Instead I think I'll take along some of our newer innovations - sous vide, instant pot, convection hotplate, which we can use inside or out, with shore power or without, plus we have the cooktop in the van as well as convection microwave.
What is a convection hotplate?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I suspect they meant induction hotplate. Or there is something new altogether unknown to me.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
my screw up - induction hotplate!
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #7

Default How about a Weber 1000?

Swapped out the regulator on Weber 1000 with appropriate adapter so the grill can be used with van's quick disconnect propane supply. This link is for a local supplier that I purchased hose and adapter from. It took me all of 20 min. to change it over. https://barbecuesgalore.ca/products/...cSCrwDTyEDfpEY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weber1000_IMG_3278.jpg (296.0 KB, 22 views)
breezeway95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I love my induction burner..quick, safe, easy to store..gotta buy the correct pot/pans, can’t use just any...and my InstaPot (awesome) can be used indoors or out, plus my mini toaster oven..only 3 things needed..have a Cook-Air for grilling, but never use it..hence it has been left in garage for a while..
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #9
TC8
Bronze Member

I plug in a charbroil infrared gas grill. I was ready to remove regulator but not need to it works fine.

https://www.charbroil.com/portable-g...x200-gas-grill
TC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:02 PM   #10
Platinum Member

We use the Magma Grill, but it might not be as small as you wanted. It cooks evenly and is made from steel - we don't like cooking on painted surfaces or teflon coatings. I think you'll need to add their low volume gas valve.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-06-2019, 11:31 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
We use the Magma Grill, but it might not be as small as you wanted. It cooks evenly and is made from steel - we don't like cooking on painted surfaces or teflon coatings. I think you'll need to add their low volume gas valve.

We use the same grill.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:46 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I know camping world sells a “no name” grill that doesn’t include its own regulator so it can be hooked up to RV propane. Most small BBQ’s can be adapted to remove the built it regulators fairly easily. If I was going that route, as others have mentioned, I’d go with the Weber Q 1200. I actually figured out that I prefer using our BBQ closer to where we eat - often on a picnic table so I just use the green cylinders. It’s easy and saves the propane in the van for heat and cooktop. I purchase the O-Grill and it is surprisingly amazing. It cooks an inch and a half ribeye as well or better than my top shelf 4 burner Weber at home. And it is surprising small all folded up. Highly recommended.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
We use the same grill.

As do we, and have for the last decade. Big thing for us is that it fits in the outside storage area of our Roadtrek C190P.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #14
Silver Member

Default Magma BeachFire grill

We use a Magma BeachFire grill. It's very small, at 11.74" wide, 10.125" tall and 16.625" long with the valve (Mfg # BF10-106). Designed for tabletop use with short folding legs which keep the table cool. It's extremely well made from stainless steel. West Marine is having a sale on them right now ($100 but normally $150). Comes set up for propane bottles so to feed from your onboard tank with a quick connect hose you'll need a Magma A10-219 LPG Propane Type 3 Extra-Low Output valve. Changing the valve is very easy. We store our grill in a soft sided ice chest, which muffles the rattles when we're driving and contains the odors somewhat in bear country. Also of course, we can also use the ice chest as an ice chest.
VanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFan View Post
We use a Magma BeachFire grill. It's very small, at 11.74" wide, 10.125" tall and 16.625" long with the valve (Mfg # BF10-106). Designed for tabletop use with short folding legs which keep the table cool. It's extremely well made from stainless steel. West Marine is having a sale on them right now ($100 but normally $150). Comes set up for propane bottles so to feed from your onboard tank with a quick connect hose you'll need a Magma A10-219 LPG Propane Type 3 Extra-Low Output valve. Changing the valve is very easy. We store our grill in a soft sided ice chest, which muffles the rattles when we're driving and contains the odors somewhat in bear country. Also of course, we can also use the ice chest as an ice chest.

That looks to be the same grille as the 9X12 Trailmate from Magma that we have. They have changed name several times over the years on them, I think to attract various markets. Under $100 is a good price.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #16
Bronze Member

We have never carried a grill of any kind but see a lot of B owners using a Coleman Fold and Go. It is small and easy clean up. It is used mainly with a small propane bottle but with an adapter can be connected to your outside propane connector. There is also a carry/storage bag available.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Coleman Grill

I got a Coleman at their outlet in Branson. Thought about connecting by hose but decided to just stick with bottles. That way can always move downwind if needed. It is lightweight, folds down to size of a briefcase, and cleans easily. Downside is the stamped enameled steel grill, which may give out in time. I got a cast iron flat griddle that fits it.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I concur with several posts here - BBQ and non-stick is a non-starter unless we’re talking porcelain coating. Teflon and it’s relatives can not take BBQ temps. The Coleman is a great grill and often on sale. Powerful and versatile. Only issue is it is fairly big even when folded up. Also a bit tinny. As I previously posted, if you want a great smaller size grill check out the O-Grill. It’t very well constructed and sturdy. The grate itself it very heavy porcelain coated cast iron. The grill folds up very small and is designed to be easy to clean. Those interested in a compact grill good for 2-4 people should have a look.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #19

We use a small inexpensive Charbroil that folds up nice and small, and connect directly from the pigtail quick disconnect on our Roadtrek 190P to the regulator on the grill, meaning that the propane is not already regulated at the RV pigtail. Here are links to the grill and the propane connect hose we use:
https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Po...portable+grill
https://www.amazon.com/Sturgis-10047...+quick+connect
jamesv999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesv999 View Post
We use a small inexpensive Charbroil that folds up nice and small, and connect directly from the pigtail quick disconnect on our Roadtrek 190P to the regulator on the grill, meaning that the propane is not already regulated at the RV pigtail. Here are links to the grill and the propane connect hose we use:
https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Po...portable+grill
https://www.amazon.com/Sturgis-10047...+quick+connect

Unless Roadtrek had changed things by 2014, you 190P would have the pigtail connection connected to a regulator, just not the low pressure regulator that runs everything else.

The specs, and even some of the tags on the ones I have seen on our 07 190P and others would indicate that the pressure out of the regulator is 15psi, although when I tested a couple of them, they actually were running at 10 psi. This is still considered "high pressure", but can cause issues with some "high pressure" appliances. We have seen issues with Coleman stuff, like our Fold-N-Go folding stove and have heard of quite a few other brands of appliances that didn't work well on the lower than propane tank pressures.

You know you have a problem if the appliance lights, but has very low output and very small flame. On our Coleman stove, it appeared to be caused by the fact that the stove has what is likely a flashback arrestor in the stove's regulator input fitting. It is a small piece of semi porous brass material. It is designed to allow gas through to the burner when pushed with the high tank pressure, but stop a flame going back down out of the burner area. Although not recommended to do, the arrestors can be defeated, but that does certainly increase the risk. Many appliances, like our Magma grille do not have the arrestor in them and work fine at the lower pressure.

I have gotten a bunch of different answers about why Roadtrek does it this way, but I do think it is a safety thing to prevent a huge rush of gas from full tank pressure if the pigtail hose fails. Secondarily, I think it also helps with preventing tripping of the high flow shutoff built into the tank. In particular, even at the lowered pressure, if you have a long hose on the line (we use 15') and open the propane valve quickly, you can get an high flow shutoff in the tank. It is a PITA to get reset, but doable without going in for service.

Just like the main low pressure regulator, the pigtail ones do fail (maybe even more often than the main one) periodically. If you see that your output has gone way down on your appliances, you first need to make sure you have propane in the tank (most of us have made that mistake, I think) and if you do have plenty of propane then do the high flow reset procedure. If you still have low flow out the pigtail it is likely the regulator or a plugged up hose and you will likely need to get that serviced.