Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

Default Portable Power Generator

Getting ready for a one month round trip from CA to MA in our (new to us) 2011 Pleasureway Lexor. We plan on 2 days dry camping, then 1 night at a campground to plug in and charge up all electronics. My wife needs her computer to work remotely and I need a cpap machine to sleep, so I am thinking about the purchase of a Jackery Explorer 440wh Lithium power pack to keep us going while we are dry camping. Does anyone have any experience with this type of battery pack?
An outreach for those who can do the electric math: will this battery pack be able to recharge a laptop a couple of times as well be able power a philips dream machine cpap machine for a couple of nights ? (I will not be using the humidifier
section of the cpap machine), 2 cell phones and other small appliances I can charge from the cigarette outlets as we go down the road.
As this is our first major trip, I do not want to overtax the chassis or coach batteries until I get to know/understand the van. Thanks in advance for any input you may be able to offer.
rpns51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Before you buy a separate battery pack, why not find your house batteries and see how much capacity you already have? I’ll bet your Luxor has a lot more than 440wh. The house batteries with daily charging from the alternator will likely cover a laptop, Cpap and other light uses.

Have you tried to sleep in it overnight with your Cpap to see how the house batteries do?

To more directly answer your question, I carry a 100wh lithium battery pack when I travel in RV, boat, plane or whatever as a backup in case all else fails for my Cpap. I find that it lasts for about 10 hours of Cpap use. So in my experience, a 440wh battery would likely last fine for the 2 nights you are looking for.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #3

rpns51, Knit made some good points and camp driveway can teach you a lot about how a night of dry camping will go. You didn't say whether the 2 nights dry camping on your cross country trip were in one spot or if you would be driving the van each day. That makes as difference since while driving your alternator will charge your house batteries. You also didn't mention using your air conditioning while dry camping. That would be your greatest power drain and wouldn't be advisable while dry camping if you are concerned about power drain.

A couple of years ago I made a cross country trip that included 4 days dry camping in August without moving my vehicle. I purchased a 10" 12v fan since I wasn't going to use the AC. I didn't need extra house batteries, a generator or solar panels, but I don't use a Cpap. You will need to become familiar with how you personally use power with your van before any major purchases or the cross country trip.
Enjoy your van!
Sotovoce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:47 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I’ve only seen the videos on you tube, but I like the Inergy Kodiac solar generator. When I go full time rving in a couple of years I’m getting that unit. It has a lithium battery that you can recharge 3 ways. AC plug, solar panels or car cigarette lighter.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:59 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Every time I read somebody repeating the lying marketing term of “solar generator” I cringe. All these are are battery packs. Battery packs are great. I use them all the time, but you have to be able to recharge them to match your use.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
Every time I read somebody repeating the lying marketing term of “solar generator” I cringe. All these are are battery packs. Battery packs are great. I use them all the time, but you have to be able to recharge them to match your use.
I guess with my lead acid battery mounted to the Roadtrek and separate solar panels and separate controller I already have a modular "solar generator".
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #7

I think you are on the right track. I have the same CPAP and can run it for at least 2 nights (without humidifier) on my Goal Zero Yeti 400 lithium using the CPAP 12 volt adapter. In addition, I can also get another 2-3 nights off of the house battery (deep cycle). Goal zero finally will have a 12 volt charger available in a few weeks that will allow one to charge the Yeti from alternator while driving. I hope to eventually add a solar panel but for now this is working OK for me. As for running laptop I would think that between house battery and your Yeti or Jackery you should be fine for a couple of days. But no, I didn't do the math.
Good luck!
akroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
Platinum Member

2 six volt 232 amp hour batteries discharged down to 50% will give you approximately 1,400 watt hours. If you have a single 12 voly battery of similar AH capacity figure 700 watt hours. You can go below 50% in a pinch but it is not recommended for daily discharge.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote