Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Potty Talk: Rookie Question

Okay, we've had our '04 Roadtrek 190P for a couple of months - have done 5 weekend trips. So far, so good. One puzzler I have yet to figure out is: How come we can flush the toilet without running the water pump? Is there residual pressure in the line?
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

yes, the pump runs until it reaches a preset pressure- so when parked your lines are pressurized.

if when parked with no use of the water and the pump comes on periodically- that might indicate a leak somewhere.

when parking for any period of time I open the tap to relieve pressure from the lines.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Since the lines are pressurized and the pump is not running unless called for is there any reason not to leave it on all the time while camping?
Old 10-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

only if your are afraid of a leak- which could empty your tanks and put water where you don;t want it.

i turn on the pump when using it, then turn it off.

we have had a couple of plumbing fittings shake loose on the road, so why chance it.

had the cold water to the galley sink get loose once Luckily we had a baking tray in the cabinet underneath...and had the drain get loose in the bathroom sink.

I tend to err on the side of caution in most things and my van is a 2006

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:47 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Yes, there's residual pressure in the lines, but I'm not sure you would get enough water to flush the toilet (though I've never tried it). You probably have an accumulator tank somewhere, like this one:
Shurflo Accumulator Tank - Shurflo 182-200 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

William
2000C200P
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

You'll get about a half flush is all and you may not have enough to refill the bowl to seal the valve. You need to turn on the pump. It is not that big a deal. No different than the light switch you turn on to use the bathroom.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
Site Team

William may well be right. We have an accumulator, and we can do several short flushes before the pump comes on. Nice for nighttime flushes with a sleeping partner. it also makes the whole system a lot quieter and generally better-behaved. Recommended.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
You'll get about a half flush is all and you may not have enough to refill the bowl to seal the valve. You need to turn on the pump. It is not that big a deal. No different than the light switch you turn on to use the bathroom.
It's not a big deal but in our 190P the switch is on the other side of the privacy door - so a little inconvenient - to date though we've had no issues with running out of water to flush with.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
only if your are afraid of a leak- which could empty your tanks and put water where you don;t want it.

i turn on the pump when using it, then turn it off.

we have had a couple of plumbing fittings shake loose on the road, so why chance it.

had the cold water to the galley sink get loose once Luckily we had a baking tray in the cabinet underneath...and had the drain get loose in the bathroom sink.

I tend to err on the side of caution in most things and my van is a 2006

Mike
I had thought folks didn't leave the pump on due to not wanting to drain the battery but this appears to not be the issue as it only uses battery when called for - right?
Old 11-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWonder View Post
I had thought folks didn't leave the pump on due to not wanting to drain the battery but this appears to not be the issue as it only uses battery when called for - right?
That is correct.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #11
Platinum Member

One more thing on this subject of using the toilet... I have decided to go ahead and drain my tanks in preparation for the winter. But I still plan on using the RV every weekend possible. Am I correct to think it will be okay to urinate in the toilet followed by a splash of RV antifreeze?
Old 11-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
One more thing on this subject of using the toilet... I have decided to go ahead and drain my tanks in preparation for the winter. But I still plan on using the RV every weekend possible. Am I correct to think it will be okay to urinate in the toilet followed by a splash of RV antifreeze?
As long as use antifreeze to flush you are fine but maybe more than a splash. Not sure how much you can dilute the antifreeze and still get freeze protection...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
What do you mean by "draining the tank"?

Not trying to be picky... draining is not winterizing.

There might be water trapped in the pipes, which can freeze and crack your pipes. You need to flush it with RV antifreeze until you can see pink coming out.

Regarding peeing... what do you plan to do with the urine? Keep it there until next year? You might as well bring a bucket if you are so intended.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Regarding peeing... what do you plan to do with the urine? Keep it there until next year? You might as well bring a bucket if you are so intended.

With the black tank having just liquids with a majority being antifreeze I guess you could dump it after ever trip or let it sit until it fills up and then dump it. Throw in some tank treatment if you find it smells.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Another option is to use the Walmart version of wag bags placed in the toilet which allows you to avoid flushing altogether and doing all your business not just liquids...
Old 11-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #16
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
With the black tank having just liquids with a majority being antifreeze I guess you could dump it after ever trip or let it sit until it fills up and then dump it. Throw in some tank treatment if you find it smells.
... but where do you dump it?

Most of the dump stations are closed in the north starting late fall.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:

Not trying to be picky... draining is not winterizing.

There might be water trapped in the pipes, which can freeze and crack your pipes. You need to flush it with RV antifreeze until you can see pink coming out.

I am in the process of winterizing... dumped the tanks last weekend and will drain the pipes, blow out any left over water and run antifreeze through the system some time soon.

I reckon with the little amount of liquid that would be going in the tank, it should be fine for a few months. We're only planning on using it for the "middle of the night" runs.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #18
Site Team

FWIW, the freezing point of urine appears to be approximately 21ºF:

https://icaspar.net/everything-you-n...-freezing-pee/
Old 11-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
... but where do you dump it?

Most of the dump stations are closed in the north starting late fall.
I've never checked but it is possible that dump stations at RV dealers, truck stops, etc. are open all winter even after campgrounds are closed...
Old 11-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I've never checked but it is possible that dump stations at RV dealers, truck stops, etc. are open all winter even after campgrounds are closed...
And, of course, there is probably a sewer washout in your yard. Or, a toilet if you have a macerator and a long hose.

Honestly, I have never had a big problem finding wintertime dump stations. Year-round campgrounds, highway rest areas, truck stops...