Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2023, 04:31 PM   #1

Default Power sofa motor for 96 Leisure Travel Widebody?

Anyone know of a replacement for the Power Sofa Drive Motor for a 96 LTWB?

When I bought the van, the whole thing was disconnected and taken apart. Everything is back together and it wants to work but won’t quite move the Sofa/Bed.
House battery was low volts and hoped replacing it would help.... but no deal. Looks similar to a power window motor, but I haven’t been able to find a matching replacement.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
DexClassB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 05:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

make sure you are getting full voltage and current

if we try using a duff battery the current draw increases and we can inadvertently burn up wiring, coils, switch contacts, relays etc.

test the motor with wiring connected directly to a perfect battery to test whether it is the motor of a damaged switch or relay

sometimes when low power is applied to a motor it while squeal/whine before the coils start to burn up- that is when to disconnect power

if the motor is bad- there is likely a code on it/ part number. in the US a 6 or 7 digit EIA code on electrics/electronics will often be a 3 digit manufacturer code followed by 3 or 4 production date codes
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 05:55 PM   #3

Thanks mkguitar.
Tested after new battery was installed and it’s getting good voltage. Figure damage might have been done while they were using the low voltage battery.
FWIW, It does turn the cables, but not enough power to move the sofa/bed. Nothing seems bent or impinging in the process.
There are no numbers visible on the motor, but I will take the motor out and look at the back side.
Thanks for the info.
(Also suspect it may have caused a problem with starter solenoid on the generator. It started great ... until it didn’t! )
Old 01-15-2023, 08:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

a low battery will cause the solenoid to "chatter" -each time the contact disk hits the contacts the field will collapse and the disk fall away, then repeat as long as you hold the button. Each cycle will arc leaving carbon soot and pit the disk and contacts. on most car type solenoids the easy fix is to brighten the contacts with sandpaper and flip the disk over to the clean side.

if you can test the motor wired directly to the battery- no switches, nothing... and see if it works better
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:45 AM   #5

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:40 PM   #6

Default Power Sofa Motor, etc.

Take a look at V-Sales Company, Elkhart, In. Van Conversions, Conversion Vans, Repair Parts, Van Accessories, Van Parts, V-Sales, Elkhart, Indiana, IN, Mark III, Mark 3, Mark Three
They sell all the parts, including motor, for Van Conversion Sofas. Look for "Sofa Power Parts" in their menu.
Hope this helps.
jschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:14 PM   #7

Thanks jschurman for pointing me in the right direction in that motor.
Looking into that ASAP
Old 01-28-2023, 08:40 PM   #8
Silver Member

V-Sales doesn't have everything shown on that older web page. I think the same person/people are also on this page and they show the 2 common motors (my LTFWB has the long motor): https://www.rvandvansurplus.com/Sofa-Motors_c_96.html
98LeisureTravelDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:47 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Too bad you are so far away. We have a power sofa from our 07 Roadtrek 190 you could have the whole thing for free. Barely used at all as we replaced it with a full time bed very early on.

We are in the Minneapolis area.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:35 AM   #10

Yes, that would be great. Looks like I may have to adapt it ....haven’t found the correct one yet.
This one is silver and rectangular. Most I have found are cylinder shaped. Been tied up and haven’t pulled it to see any numbers. There is a circle with “A” at the top , an “11” under that, in the center. If the circle... then at the bottom, “9 M” and what could be a 1, T,, 7, it 3) ��
Basically a small horizontal line up top and a semi verticals blurry line below.
Serial number or model number must be in the back side toward the bottom of the sofa.
Just need to focus and check it out tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:36 AM   #11

Widh it were closer. Thanks for the offer.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:25 PM   #12

Well, to close this out… after much struggle I ended up at the same conclusion as the previous owner. It’s faster and easier to do it in one move by hand. Only thing I really loose is the ability to recline.