Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2007, 02:17 AM   #1
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Power Switch

It has been many years since I have had a camper so I don't remember details and I am new to the B campers. My question is in order to get house 12V I must turn on the master power switch. This activates a relay and the problem is the relay draws power. The only things powered by 12V are a couple outlets, fan, lights, water pump and of course the co & propane detectors. The lights and water pump both have their own master switch so why can't the battery just go to a terminal pole and these things be wired from there without a solinoid?
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I copied this from my Intellitec 100 amp Battery Disconnect manual

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=225

"Battery Disconnect is an easy-to-install system that will allow RV owners to disconnect coach and chassis batteries with just the touch of a switch. With BatteryDisconnect, the owner can be sure the batteries are disconnected when his RV is not in use or being stored off-season. It is conveniently located inside the RV, and it's all remote.

The heart of the Battery Disconnect system is another Intellitec invention. A latching relay, capable of carrying heavy coach currents, draws power only when switched on or off; yet, it requires no power to stay open or closed. This sturdy relay is sealed against the environment and is designed for the toughest use."

-----------------------------------

So I think its main function is convenience. When the switch is off the house battery(s) are disconnected. My battery monitor panel runs off of it as well.

I would have guessed that it drew some current when on but, according to the above, it doesn't. I looked at the service manual. It uses a magnet.

g1g - maybe yours doesn't draw power when open or closed. Do you know what brand it is?

You could have a manual cut off switch but a Battery Disconnect is more convenient especially if located near a door.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote