Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Preventing Rain in RT's

Recently I have read on other Forums about people getting rain in through the air conditioning vents on the rear of the RT 170-210's. Some said they were setting level, others nose down. I was wondering, if you were to put Snap On's and a Vinyl Cover over it if that would be practical in eliminating the rain. Back in '05, I run into a Candian RT190 (Dodge) Owner, he had cut a piece of pvc lengthwise and affixed across the top...looked good but I always wondered the practicality of it. Any ideas, curiosity keeps me wondering. Ron
Old 04-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

That's also a relevant question for me. I recently acquired my mother's RT 190 and I noticed some staining of the ceiling fabric around the A/C. I knew she had it parked nose down all last winter in suburban Washington, DC, and there had been quite a bit of rain and snow. I made sure it was parked slightly nose up this winter at my house. We also had a very wet and snowy winter, and it stayed dry as a bone. I'm hoping that was it, but...

I have also wondered if perhaps A/C condensation drainage was blocked somehow, but I haven't run the A/C since I brought it to Arizona, and we won't really have enough humidity until July to get significant amounts of condensation during A/C operation. Hoping to open up the exterior cover and have a look soon.

Following...
Old 04-14-2019, 02:46 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's also a relevant question for me. I recently acquired my mother's RT 190 and I noticed some staining of the ceiling fabric around the A/C. I knew she had it parked nose down all last winter in suburban Washington, DC, and there had been quite a bit of rain and snow. I made sure it was parked slightly nose up this winter at my house. We also had a very wet and snowy winter, and it stayed dry as a bone. I'm hoping that was it, but...

I have also wondered if perhaps A/C condensation drainage was blocked somehow, but I haven't run the A/C since I brought it to Arizona, and we won't really have enough humidity until July to get significant amounts of condensation during A/C operation. Hoping to open up the exterior cover and have a look soon.

Following...
Jon, I've been off traveling and away from the forum for a while. Were you able to resolve the electrical issues you inherited in your 190P?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Jon, I've been off traveling and away from the forum for a while. Were you able to resolve the electrical issues you inherited in your 190P?
It’s in the shop now. Thanks for asking. I’ll update my previous post when I get some answers rather than take this thread on a tangent.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 AM   #5

This morning at 5 am I was woke up by dripping on my chest from the AC duct over the bed. We had heavy rain & strong winds at the campground. This never happened before & didn't last long. What should I do to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have a 2005 RT 190 Popular. AC was not running for hours before the leak & only running for about an hour that evening. Thanks, George
georgeherberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:32 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I feel that the AC condensation and rain/wind/angle are BOTH a factor in the water intrusion. Mine too has very slight water stains on the material just under the AC. You have to look close to see but it is there. I was in Oregon during very heavy wind/rain and I found a little water one time had made its way in but very little. Parking with nose a little higher could well take care of the water getting in. Do that every single time and see if it clears up.
MrMyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestion but wouldn't that interfere with the refrigerator operation? Or are you suggesting a vey slight "nose up"?
georgeherberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Yes, slightly nose up. I am not sure how high you could go before it impairs or damages (?) the fridge. Our RT is rarely on level ground even though we use plastic levelers. I have not noticed a change in the cooling of the fridge, apart from the erratic temperature behavior that absorption fridges have regardless of being level or not.

Some people are bothered by their heads being lower than their feet with the front raised. They want the opposite which maybe could lead to water issues. I have noticed a very small amount of water only a couple of times since I have had my RT since 2007. I know one time was during raging wind and rain in Oregon.
MrMyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
Silver Member

On our 2006 Versatile the root cause was the TracVision satellite antenna mounting. We troubleshot this for several months, sealing the roof vent, making sure the A/C drains were clear, etc. When we sealed the mounts with 3M rubber electrical tape the leaking stopped. If I were to do it over again I'd use Eternabond or similar product.
2006 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, 400W Solar, 320AH LiFePO4. Suspension mods: Front: Moog 81004 coil springs. Rear: SuperSteer Track Bar, AirLift airbags with integrated bump stop, 2" lift blocks, removed overload leafs. All around: Bilsteins, 265-75R16 K02's
Luv2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #10

Default Roadtrek Rea Grill

The rear A/C grill on a Roadtrek is not designed to be rain or water proof. The waterproof seal is in the sealed duct area behind the grill extending forward to the condenser coils. f you are getting water leaks it's not because of the grill - you have a hole somewhere inside. On my 94 RT the bottom pan rusted through under the Fedders AC unit for example. Tilting your whole vehicle up at the front can help the water run out the back (as it was designed to do) more easily but you still have a hole somewhere.

Note that a cover over the grill will keep the rain out but you need to figure our what to do on hot rainy days. Also, I think the condensate drain just free flows out the back so will likely go into any leak on its own.
anthil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Is this because of placement of the A/C unit in the rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthil View Post
The rear A/C grill on a Roadtrek is not designed to be rain or water proof. The waterproof seal is in the sealed duct area behind the grill extending forward to the condenser coils. f you are getting water leaks it's not because of the grill - you have a hole somewhere inside. On my 94 RT the bottom pan rusted through under the Fedders AC unit for example. Tilting your whole vehicle up at the front can help the water run out the back (as it was designed to do) more easily but you still have a hole somewhere.

Note that a cover over the grill will keep the rain out but you need to figure our what to do on hot rainy days. Also, I think the condensate drain just free flows out the back so will likely go into any leak on its own.
What about the roof mounted A/C units like the RS, Etrek and CS series? Have you ever heard of those leaking?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
What about the roof mounted A/C units like the RS, Etrek and CS series? Have you ever heard of those leaking?
Sorry, I have me personal experience with roof mounted units. However, people have mentioned issues with the seals on the bolts used to hold the AC units to the roof IIRC.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default I'm not familiar with that reference, please explain in more detail

Quote:
Sorry, I have me personal experience with roof mounted units. However, people have mentioned issues with the seals on the bolts used to hold the AC units to the roof IIRC.
AC units to the roof IIRC?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
AC units to the roof IIRC?
There have been a lot of Roadtrek model over the last ~45 years. I don't know all the configurations

"IIRC" is an internet shortcut for "If I Recall Correctly" if that was your question?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:50 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Default OK, thanks.

Quote:
There have been a lot of Roadtrek model over the last ~45 years. I don't know all the configurations

"IIRC" is an internet shortcut for "If I Recall Correctly" if that was your question?
I've never heard of anyone telling me that the roof of their Class B Sprinter leaked, ever. But, I suppose anything is possible 😁.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #16

We also had a rude awakening in the early morning hours with water finding its' way into our '01 Xplorer XLW. I first tried a fixed panel with louvers punched into it but the surface area was insufficient to allow the AC to exhaust on hot days so the AC would overheat and shut down when you need it most! I then fabricated a vent with opening louvers and added a supplemental muffin fan to help direct the airflow outside. I used a door lock actuator to open/close the vent and it works like a charm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141025_170015 small.jpg (35.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20150629_151650.jpg (117.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20160926_124526.jpg (105.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20180530_082413.jpg (168.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20180530_082558.jpg (95.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20160826_102933.jpg (132.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20161022_104121.jpg (108.8 KB, 4 views)
an av8r is offline   Reply With Quote