Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk View Post
Yeah, it's the compressor. Tested by the shop that installed it and compressor wants to start but bucks. Proair is replacing the compressor. Hopefully this is a rare occurrence
Sorry to hear that happened, these compressors seldom fail.

Quick question, since it's unlikely the RV dealer would be qualified or have a license to do the repair since this requires capturing the Freon and pulling a vacuum during for the replacement, are they shipping the unit back to the vendor to change out the pump?

If it were my coach I would absolutely demand they replace the entire unit. You bought a new unit why have it refurbished?' Does not seem right you would be inconvenienced by having the coach down during this event. Might be worth calling the factory and express you would like to have a new unit.

Having worked on AC units for years, 90% of the time when you have pump failure is due to foreign material (metal fragments, etc) in the system causing the compressor to fail and lock up. If the system has contamination (which it will if the pump failed) Even though some of these AC units have a dryer/filter in line, there is still a good chance there is still some contamination in the system which it will eventually cause the new pump to fail.

Thanks Mike
IdleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #42
Bronze Member

Hello Mike,

Thanks, they are shipping out a new compressor and dryer. The shop does have equipment to reclaim the refrigerant. I'm just hoping that I got a bad unit.
thawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:45 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk View Post
Hello Mike,

Thanks, they are shipping out a new compressor and dryer. The shop does have equipment to reclaim the refrigerant. I'm just hoping that I got a bad unit.

Ok thanks for the reply - I wish you a quick replacement and years of great use. Keep us posted

Stay Safe - Mike
IdleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #44
Bronze Member

Air conditioner running again. I looked up the compressor part number and its proair's 12V compressor. Seems like its a hit or miss on them failing
thawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:19 PM   #45

Just picked up a 2021 Galleria Li3 with a Pro Air 20k. While the AC is very quiet inside, the outside fan sounds like a giant angry drone trying to rip the roof off. It's so loud, it makes sitting outside under the awning somewhat unpleasant and will not be making any friends of neighbors in the campground. The fan appears to be a SPAL 14 inch automotive radiator fan running in reverse to pull air out thru the coils. It has straight blades instead of the quieter sickle shape blades. It runs constantly and doesn't throttle down when the inside blower does.

Another point - when plugged into shore power a converter inside the coach has to convert 120ac into 12vdc to run the aircondioner. While minimal, this heat from the converter is blown into the coach.
KPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #46
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPhoto View Post
Just picked up a 2021 Galleria Li3 with a Pro Air 20k. While the AC is very quiet inside, the outside fan sounds like a giant angry drone trying to rip the roof off. It's so loud, it makes sitting outside under the awning somewhat unpleasant and will not be making any friends of neighbors in the campground. The fan appears to be a SPAL 14 inch automotive radiator fan running in reverse to pull air out thru the coils. It has straight blades instead of the quieter sickle shape blades. It runs constantly and doesn't throttle down when the inside blower does.
Same 2021 Galleria with LI3 and ProAir - outside AC is MUCH quieter than my Coleman Mach 8 with curved composite blades. Plus no generator to add to it - no complaints here from neighbors.
black88mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #47

Just watched a video about the Mach 8. Woa ya, those are loud too but did see that a company, Orbital Machine Works, offered a hush kit that throttles the fan down when the internal blower slows. Hopefully someone figures out how to do that with the Pro Air. Shouldn't be hard adding a PWM in the wiring.

BTW: I replaced my cover bolts with stainless since they were rusting already. Replaced the external star lock washers with internal star since the external were too big to grip the head of the bolt.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:59 PM   #48
Bud
Platinum Member

"I replaced my cover bolts with stainless since they were rusting already."

There are some b forum members here that have lived a life in all kinds of stuff, manufacturing. 2020, how does this happen?

Bud

I've come close to buying one of these that was attached to a Beyond, Twice. I'm not on facebook. David would say something like I'm cutting off my nose to....
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPhoto View Post
Just watched a video about the Mach 8. Woa ya, those are loud too but did see that a company, Orbital Machine Works, offered a hush kit that throttles the fan down when the internal blower slows. .
The newer Coleman Mach 8 "Plus" is updated to quiet the outside fan. But if the ultra low profile was not a requirement for my unit, I'd be looking at the Colrman NDQ units which, just as importantly (if not more so), are quieter inside.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:27 PM   #50
Bronze Member

Did look into Orbital but with the generator making the noise what I did with the AC didn’t matter.

Would love to hear more about your stainless bolts and lock washers. Would be great to already had the correct ones before going up top.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:41 AM   #51

Housing cover bolts are 1/4-20 x 3/4 inch long, quantity 10x. Lock washer (inside star). Washer to go against ac housing. Some thread lock - blue (medium) will help keep them from vibrating loose but still be removable.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #52

Ahhhh loose money then this ac. Im sticking with Coleman Mach 8 plus low profile.
Captain Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:41 AM   #53

I Dutch, I had a Proair on my new 2020 Beyond and I changed it for a Coleman Mach 10 at 3000 miles. With Proair I never had fresh air inside an the noise inside is okay but outside is like a chain saw. If you can, do not go that way!
Plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 01:45 AM   #54

Yes thanks for the confirmation. Im sticking with Coleman but debating on going with the Mach 10 low profile 11”8 inch unit instead of the Mach 8, 8 inch unit. According to the Coleman reps the Mach 10 is quieter in and out. I appreciate the reply. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:34 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bo View Post
Yes thanks for the confirmation. Im sticking with Coleman but debating on going with the Mach 10 low profile 11”8 inch unit instead of the Mach 8, 8 inch unit. According to the Coleman reps the Mach 10 is quieter in and out. I appreciate the reply. Happy Holidays.
Get the Coleman NDQ unless you absolutely cannot tolerate the extra 4" in height. I have the newest Mach 8 Plus low profile mentioned above because my Avenue required the lowest profile available to fit under the roof shroud (see pics below).

While it is quieter than the older Coleman unit it replaced (shown in the pics), that is mainly due to the Mach 8 Plus having a true low/mid speed for the interior fan. The older unit had only "High" & "Higher". However, if not for this welcome feature, it is otherwise comparable to the older unit.

I've read great things about the NDQ. I don't believe you'll regret the quieter operation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8261 (1).JPG (348.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.jpg (248.4 KB, 5 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:59 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Get the Coleman NDQ unless you absolutely cannot tolerate the extra 4" in height. I have the newest Mach 8 Plus low profile mentioned above because my Avenue required the lowest profile available to fit under the roof shroud (see pics below).

While it is quieter than the older Coleman unit it replaced (shown in the pics), that is mainly due to the Mach 8 Plus having a true low/mid speed for the interior fan. The older unit had only "High" & "Higher". However, if not for this welcome feature, it is otherwise comparable to the older unit.

I've read great things about the NDQ. I don't believe you'll regret the quieter operation.
Great setup i love the express vans. The NDQ was one of my choices but after learning that they do not make a 15,000 btu and only 13,500 i moved on to the Mach 10 low pro 15,000 btu or the Mach 8 Plus low price 15,000 btu. My RV is pretty big and i'll be mostly in hot temp locations. The Coleman rep recently contacted me and stated that for 2021 they will be coming out with new NDQ units, but due to the covid situation thats yet to be seen what part of 2021 that
would be.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

There appears to be a very large vent size reduction with the cover on. Are there any other venting openings other than the rear?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote