Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default ProMaster Engine is wet

I have a 2015 Pleasure-Way Lexor TS on a ProMaster 3500 chassis.
After either washing it or after it rains, the engine is wet as if I had washed it.
The cowl drains are not clogged.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks for any replies.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:06 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I find this an unusual question... probably because in my whole life I have never checked my engine after it rains... so I wouldn't know if they got wet or not. LOL

Sorry... hopefully one of our Promaster people has looked... just ignore me... but I look forward to reading the comments.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:09 AM   #3
Platinum Member

There's a thread on water ingress issues on the Promaster forum Promaster frozen up - Ram Promaster Forum

Similar story on unwanted water in the engine bay.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #4

Thanks TJ for the info. I never thought to check under the hood.

Ive been starting and driving the van on a weekly basis during the winter. After reading your post I decided to take a look today before I started it up.

It was rainy/snowy earlier in the week and the temps have been in low 20's the rest of the week. I looked under engine compartment and sure enough icicles where formed from front axle to ground. I popped the hood and took a look. Very surprising. Ice had formed on intake manifold. On the driver side bulkhead is a voltage regulator or something electrical completely covered in ice. On top of engine is alot of debris and ice on electrical wires. WOW. I decided not to start it today. Temps are going into the high 30's mid week. Think I will wait to see if some of it melts before starting engine.

BTW, we have a 2016 PW lexor on a 2015 chasis, I believe.

Thanks again for the heads up
TNT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

That is definitely not a good thing, for sure. If it also gets wet from road spray, you will be getting all the dirt and/or salt all over everything. Hopefully there is an easy fix that Fiat comes up with.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #6
Bronze Member

TNT88,
You're welcome for the heads up.

I believe a majority of the water comes in from the cowl cover, the part that is above the cowl and fits against the windshield, it is two pieces with a splice in the center. I put tape on the splice and when it rained again, there wasn't much water on the engine. Also before there was a lot of water on the fuse box top and this time there wasn't. Another area that water comes in is on the driver's side wiper location. The shaft has a slot on it and allows water to drain thru and drips under the cowl to the engine area. And yet another area is where the HVAC air inlet housing meets the air inlet box. I have adjusted the hood stops to lower the hood when closed to make a better seal, but that didn't work.

The engine has white powder-like stuff on the aluminum engine parts, believe that is from moisture.

I will be taking it into the dealer when the ignition switch contact holder recall part is available and ask about the leaking issue.

Good luck with your issues, I'm sure most ProMasters or all of them have this problem.