Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Silver Member

Question Promaster question

We recently looked at a Travato 59G. Question is that the passenger seat seemed extremely upright and we could not get it to recline to a comfortable position. Did we miss something? The drivers seat was able to adjust ok. It was terrible seat and would be a deal breaker. Sat in a Ford seats in a Fuse and it was much more comfortable. Looking for a gas class B like the Travato and loved everything else.
Thanks
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Were you able to get it to recline at all? If so, that may be all you get. If not, pull up on the door-side lower corner of the seat base. It's a large plastic piece. That is the recliner. You may have to adjust forward and backwards to get the maximum recline. The inboard corner is the swivel.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I am a Travato owner (and love it).
But you are NOT mistaken. Both the driver and passenger seats put you in a very "upright" position. I was concerned about that same thing. I have grown to really LIKE the drivers position (more so than my laid back conversion captains chair in another van), but I still do not find the passenger seat very comfortable for long distances. The back DOES recline, but the BASE of the seat does not tilt back very much. I guess this is because of the swivel base added to the chairs, as I have been in another promaster where the seat reclined "better" but had an entirely different (non swiveling) base.. I have taken a pillow and put it under my thighs, and put my feet on the dash, which is reasonably comfortable for "lounging". But more importantly, My wife likes it just fine, and since I do about 80% of the driving, that works for me. Actually, if I am not driving, I am usually doing something in the back (like sleeping).

Edit: Reading Erics post, and rereading yours: If the drivers seat felt OK to you, the passenger seat should as well (they are the same). In a G, you may have to slide the seat forward a bit to clear the tank seat behind it in order to get full recline..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I really wanted to like the Promaster chassis because it would have been the perfect size motorhome but I just could not find a comfortable driving position. My knees were almost up to the steering wheel. I also wish the steering wheel would adjust up and down. I ended up with a Sprinter because the cab was just more comfortable to drive for my wife and I.
timp410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

If you are taller than 5'10",
and if the seat has a swivel base,
your line of sight could be near the top of the windshield.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Were you able to get it to recline at all? If so, that may be all you get. If not, pull up on the door-side lower corner of the seat base. It's a large plastic piece. That is the recliner. You may have to adjust forward and backwards to get the maximum recline. The inboard corner is the swivel.

Eric
ahhhh we found the corner swivel handle, but didnt find one on the other corner to recline that might make a big difference. We turned the big knobs and they just didnt do much. THx
Old 07-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #7
Silver Member

HOw well does the cab AC work to keep the back of the coach cool? We would have a dog in a crate in the rear and would need to keep the back cool going down the road. We currently run the generator in our DP but with a diesel generator and 100 gal of fuel that is no biggie.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Insulate well and it should be doable. I have 136', maximum window area with no coverings, 2" roof and wall insulation, but exposed interior metal. IOW, a mixed bag not nearly as good as it could be. >100° outside, AC comfortable for me (max cool but lower medium fan) and rear was 80’s.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I am 6'2" with a Travato (swivel seat). Windshield height is no issue. I will say though, that before purchasing the Travato I considered "building my own" and I do remember driving the standard promaster and thinking it was alreay close, and that after adding a swivel seat base (another 1" in height) that would be a concern. Possibly the entire seat base is different in the Travato than in the stock Promaster, but I don't know that for sure..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I traveled through the desert during the recent heat wave in the west, the Promaster AC kept the van cool the entire time on medium fan. I did quite a bit of insulating my build.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

6'4" here.Travato 59K owner. Windshield height is no issue at all. Can't lean the seat back quite as far as I'd like because of the kitchen countertop. Seat does raise vertically though so I raised it as high as it goes. Gives me a better seat angle. Even with seat at it's highest, the view is fine.
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:46 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

5' 10" here. Drove a Travato last week. Stepped from a Sprinter ERA to the PM Travato. Had zero issues finding a comfortable seating position. No windshield issues either.
Only issue I had was the turn signal lever being in such a different position. No deal breaker though....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote