Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2020, 07:36 AM   #21
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the Gardens View Post
What does UHG stands for ?
Actually, it’s abbreviation is “GU”, not UHG... but it does mean “Underhood Generator”, and it is a second, larger alternator that is installed that will charge the battery bank pretty fast. There are a few cons to this, however... The first is that the physical alternator is mounted so close to the ground on the passenger side, that it’s actually lower than the bottom of the bumper. So, many people have accidentally ripped theirs out while driving over road debris or rough roads or those awesome, beautiful, forest roads that we all love. The second con to the GU is that when the vehicle auto-starts (like EcoTrek) so the GU system can charge the batteries, the engine is just idling normally. It doesn’t high-idle, and so many owners have stated that idling this engine is its death, cause at regular idle the oil pump is not pumping enough oil to the top of the engine. And top-end failures are pretty much what is happening to these engines.

To be fair, I’m on my second PM, sold the first one with 25K and my current van (@VocalVirgo on IG) is a 2018 with only 21K on it.

BUT, I have switched to 5W30 (fully synthetic) and off of 5W20. I and many others believe that a 20 Weight oil is too thin for the work this engine performs. You can load the vans with ~4000lbs, and you can tow a 5100lb trailer (2014-2019). So minus the tongue wieht if the trailer, you could carry 3400lbs in the van, the tinge weight of the trailer (~500lbs) and pull a 5100lb trailer. That’s a lot of heavy duty work, and that’s not even including the original weight of the van itself. FCA is wrong to have people use W20 on these engines. W20 is like water, the viscosity is so thin. Everyone is getting smart now and switching to 5W30 or 0W30. If you go on the transporters groups you’ll see that most of them are using a 30 Weight oil. They are the ones who are getting 200K-400K out of this engine. And yes, if you read the owners manual it clearly states you can use 5W30. Many of us think that 5W20 was “chosen” to make it easier for fleets to only stock 1 oil, AND because it improves CAFE ratings the *tiniest* bit.

It’s a shame so many people are having to replace entire engines, this is on FCA. I believe that they should recall the top components of the engine that routinely fail, or extend the warranty to at least 120,000 miles.

It’s 2020, there is no reason a car company can’t build a car to last at least 200,000 miles. When you’re dropping over $100K on a Travato, and the engine blows up at 70K, that’s just f*cking embarrassing.

Again, I have no issues with my current 2018, but I’m talking extra steps to try and avoid engine failure in a few years.

Do some good research on the transporters forums, those are the folks that really drive these vans, usually with heavy loads, and they are making them last. Follow their lead. No one wants the place they live (some of us) to have a blown engine.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #22
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
Actually, it’s abbreviation is “GU”, not UHG... but it does mean “Underhood Generator”, and it is a second, larger alternator that is installed that will charge the battery bank pretty fast. There are a few cons to this, however... The first is that the physical alternator is mounted so close to the ground on the passenger side, that it’s actually lower than the bottom of the bumper. So, many people have accidentally ripped theirs out while driving over road debris or rough roads or those awesome, beautiful, forest roads that we all love. The second con to the GU is that when the vehicle auto-starts (like EcoTrek) so the GU system can charge the batteries, the engine is just idling normally. It doesn’t high-idle, and so many owners have stated that idling this engine is its death, cause at regular idle the oil pump is not pumping enough oil to the top of the engine. And top-end failures are pretty much what is happening to these engines.

To be fair, I’m on my second PM, sold the first one with 25K and my current van (@VocalVirgo on IG) is a 2018 with only 21K on it.

BUT, I have switched to 5W30 (fully synthetic) and off of 5W20. I and many others believe that a 20 Weight oil is too thin for the work this engine performs. You can load the vans with ~4000lbs, and you can tow a 5100lb trailer (2014-2019). So minus the tongue wieht if the trailer, you could carry 3400lbs in the van, the tinge weight of the trailer (~500lbs) and pull a 5100lb trailer. That’s a lot of heavy duty work, and that’s not even including the original weight of the van itself. FCA is wrong to have people use W20 on these engines. W20 is like water, the viscosity is so thin. Everyone is getting smart now and switching to 5W30 or 0W30. If you go on the transporters groups you’ll see that most of them are using a 30 Weight oil. They are the ones who are getting 200K-400K out of this engine. And yes, if you read the owners manual it clearly states you can use 5W30. Many of us think that 5W20 was “chosen” to make it easier for fleets to only stock 1 oil, AND because it improves CAFE ratings the *tiniest* bit.

It’s a shame so many people are having to replace entire engines, this is on FCA. I believe that they should recall the top components of the engine that routinely fail, or extend the warranty to at least 120,000 miles.

It’s 2020, there is no reason a car company can’t build a car to last at least 200,000 miles. When you’re dropping over $100K on a Travato, and the engine blows up at 70K, that’s just f*cking embarrassing.

Again, I have no issues with my current 2018, but I’m talking extra steps to try and avoid engine failure in a few years.

Do some good research on the transporters forums, those are the folks that really drive these vans, usually with heavy loads, and they are making them last. Follow their lead. No one wants the place they live (some of us) to have a blown engine.
It's so funny- I'm just seeing my original post again and it's now 15 months later... (my typo's are atrocious!). I sold this van 3 months after I posted the above quote. It still had only 21,000 miles. The new owner is so very nice. But at 31,000 miles, she had to have the engine replaced because of (shocker) the #2 cylinder failed and wrecked the engine. I'd say at 31,000 miles, with ~4000 mile oil changes, the engine was probably a lemon. But, the warranty covered it and she's been back on the road.

After having 2 ProMaster self-built vans, I went and bought a "proper" 2022 Class B based on the ProMaster (2021). I'm doing all scheduled maintenance by the book, but I say that loosely because I know I'll do oil changes early, lol. But I'm using the recommended Penzoil (Penzoil Platinum Fully Synthetic 5W20) and the newest Mopar oil filter (ending in "AC").
Here's to hoping my RV lasts as long as the payments, lol!
Old 06-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Check out this video. This guy has 3 PM’s with a total of ~1.5,000,000 miles.

https://www.promasterforum.com/threa...9/#post-756520

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #24
Platinum Member

keep records of all services

rec'ts for the filters and oil etc

take a pic of each rec't and the odometer and save as a file.

and let's hope you never ever need- also keep aware of Technical service bulletins or "secret recalls"

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #25
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post

Oh, I can’t get on that site… I got kicked off for sticking up for myself when I was being bullied by an admin for being gay. At first, there was a message saying I was banned because “little f*****ts not welcome here“. I took a screenshot of it (along with all of his homophobic private messages to me) and posted it to Twitter, and they promptly changed it to “troublemakers not welcome here“, lol. The 92-year-old admin, who has since passed away had a real issue with the gays. Now I use the Facebook ProMaster group and this one.
If the video ever pops up there or on YouTube, I will take a look. Thank you for sharing though! Of course now I am totally curious how he got so many miles on his fleet!
Old 06-25-2021, 08:12 PM   #26
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post

Oh, never mind, I was able to watch the video. I guess the Promaster forum no longer has me blocked, lol.
I have to tell you, I was watching that video and the guy talks just like I talk. I feel like whatever was in his head just flew out of his mouth, lol.
Anyway, I can’t believe the first engine lasted that long. Good for him. I didn’t watch the entire video but I will. And of course, I can’t believe after all of those years in Ohio, no less, there is no rust underneath. That’s awesome. Good for him!
Thanks so much for sharing this video!
Old 06-26-2021, 02:47 AM   #27
Platinum Member

For PM, rust is simply not an issue. The cut-outs for my windows have been stacked against the shop wall for six years with raw cut edges buried in damp dirt and even they have not rusted.

Itss not just the engine. Notice all the other components that have lasted 686,000 miles.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote