Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2022, 10:41 PM   #1

Default Propane filling problem - solved

Hi, I thought I'd share a solution to my propane filling problem.
After taking my 05 C190P to a local RV propane filling station and having the attendant try for a while unsuccessfully to attach the fill nozzle, I did some investigating.
Turns out that on my 190, the intake for the propane tank is pretty close to the front end of the rear bumper (ie. the inside lip of the rear bumper, facing front of vehicle). It's so close that the propane station's nozzle just wouldn't catch onto the threads.
I found out that filler stations have two types of nozzle, some have a fat diameter nozzles, some have a thin one. Kind of like the old leaded gas filler nozzle was a different diameter from the unleaded gas ones. The thin one works ok but it's harder to find a station with them.
After driving over to Mobilife in Cambridge talking to the resident Roadtrek guru at Mobilife and showing him my vehicle, I found the answer.
He told me that when these issues came up at Roadtrek, they would alter the attachments for the propane tank.
The propane tank is held on to the frame from underneath by 4 bolts. The Roadtrek fellow told me that following a complaint such as mine, they would loosen (but not remove) the 4 bolts slightly, insert a fender shim or washer under the front two bolts, and then re-tighten all 4. The net effect was to tilt up the angle slightly of the rear fill station of the propane tank, allowing it clear the rear bumper much more satisfactorily.
I'm having this done to my rig this week, so I thought I'd share. Cheers and have a great RV season!
Jfstang is offline   Reply With Quote