Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Propane fitting question

My LP regulator is leaking and I need to replace. I have a question about removal/installation. It appears that I need to loosen the nut (red arrow) and once unscrewed from the fitting, the regulator will pull out of the main valve. Is that correct? If so, I read somewhere that the nut is reverse thread (clockwise turn = loosen). Is that correct? The other end of the regulator goes to a flex hose so that's no problem.

Any other recommendations for the overall process? Main valve is closed and I've opened the stove burner to vent; then closed.

Thanks.glenn

Fitting.jpg
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:15 AM   #2
Platinum Member

For me, this is something I leave to the Experts - sorry, no help
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Bronze Member

I have no experience with regulators. BUT, It is an industry standard on nuts and bolts to identify left hand thread with hash marks at the crests of the hex. As shown in your pic.
2010 Pleasure-way Excel TS
Never a problem, Sometimes a challenge, Always an adventure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fittingm.jpg (179.6 KB, 13 views)
Wandering Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks Wes. You confirmed what I read after my OP. I disconnected that end of the regulator by turning the nut CW. Easy. It had a soft nose POL that simply pulled out. The rubber O-ring on the POL was beginning to lose thin strands of rubber so I ordered a new O-ring today. hbn7 had recommended a LP detector that I used to find the leak. Definitely in the small (first?) stage of the regulator. I tested twice; a day apart. Went slowly from the valve to the regulator and then from the fitting on the output of the regulator the other way toward the valve. In both cases zero readings anywhere (including flex hose and fittings) until I was over that part of the regulator. We'll see.

And Doc: If I end up with a non-leaking system, I still plan to take it to a RV place for a leak-down test. In general, I agree. If my RV place hadn't put the "no RVs older than 20yr" restriction on going forward, I would have gone there to start.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Thanks Wes. You confirmed what I read after my OP. I disconnected that end of the regulator by turning the nut CW. Easy. It had a soft nose POL that simply pulled out. The rubber O-ring on the POL was beginning to lose thin strands of rubber so I ordered a new O-ring today. hbn7 had recommended a LP detector that I used to find the leak. Definitely in the small (first?) stage of the regulator. I tested twice; a day apart. Went slowly from the valve to the regulator and then from the fitting on the output of the regulator the other way toward the valve. In both cases zero readings anywhere (including flex hose and fittings) until I was over that part of the regulator. We'll see.

And Doc: If I end up with a non-leaking system, I still plan to take it to a RV place for a leak-down test. In general, I agree. If my RV place hadn't put the "no RVs older than 20yr" restriction on going forward, I would have gone there to start.
Gallen both I & Dometic Corp are trying to keep you alive, you are one of the last bipedal humans whom possess the magic sauce of fridge knowhow under 80%.

And are you saying that if a rig is over 20 years old, your dealership/repair place won't allow it to be worked on?

Isn't that Ageism?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Definitely age discrimination. It's not just propane. They won't work on it, period. Too bad. Otherwise they were a good company that I trusted. Now I have to find another. It's like when your doctor retires...............or your dentist.