Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2020, 01:48 AM   #1

Exclamation Propane over fill problems

We got our 2015 ERA 170x out of storage last weekend. Still quite cold here in Wisconsin. Took it to Sprinter dealer and got oil change and fuel filter $560 ouch. Next stop was to get propane filled in prep for our first trip of the year. We got packed up today in hopes of leaving tomorrow AM. Unplugged MH to turn around in driveway to hook up the trailer. Wife gets concerned when fridge is not on. We plug back in to the house so as not to spoil the food in there. We tried the other propane burners (furnace & water heater). Nothing will light. I’m looking around and I see the propane gauge needle is pegged at the top of the gauge, way past full. So the first thing I did was Open the bleeder and let the pressure off until it was at the full mark. It took about 1 hour and the front yard smelt like propane. Took a shower to give the propane time to dissipate. Took three tries to light the stove but it all works now. Just wanted to share this experience so someone else may benefit without going to the repair shop.
Jpetzrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:33 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Question: Are you supposed to fill your LP tank to 100%? I thought I read somewhere 80% and also that new fill valves have a shut off that won't allow them to be filled over 80%.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The overfilled propane tank may have been done while the dealers outside tank was supper cold. Then your tank would be overfilled. As the temperature warms up the propane expands to overfilled. With your propane turned off during storage, turning back on will take time for you to purge the air out of the lines as you have experienced. I flat tow my 2014 Smart Car.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:54 PM   #4

Smile Over filling

I thought they knew what they were doing as it is a big propane place near our home we go to for all our propane needs. It was cold that day but the guy way over filled it. If you look close at the gauge it has a scale with different temperatures and it looks like 85% is the target fill point and you compensate for the outside temp by the scale. I just bleed it off to the 40 degree line since that’s what the temperature was at the time. Fortunately nothing blew up and it all works now. We are currently in Cape Girardeau, IL heading to see the wife’s sister in Lake Charles, LA. Then heading west returning home the end of April.
Jpetzrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:23 AM   #5
Site Team

I once had a guy in a "big propane place" destroy my regulator in a similar stunt. Make no assumptions.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote