Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2022, 05:53 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Propane POL connectors.

I'm replacing the POL connector on my onboard propane tank.

I see there are POL connectors with built-in "excess flow" safety valves. But "full flow" connectors, without the safety valve, are also available.

Question.. when or why would one use the full-flow connector and forego the safety feature? Are there applications when one would not want the excess flow version?

Same with "hard nose" verses "soft nose". The soft nose connector comes with an integral rubber O-ring.

Similar question.. when or why would one use the "hard-nose" connector if the soft nose one is easier to install provides a better seal? Are there situations where the "hard nose" version is preferable?

- Thanks in advance
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:12 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I see you haven't gotten any replies. Here's what I put on mine when I replaced the regulator. It's a full flow. Works fine. Didn't use the black plastic part.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought this at the same time which helped me diagnose that my leak was in the first stage of the 2-stage regulator. Also works. I take it with me when we RV but have also used it when changing BBQ and smoker tanks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I see you haven't gotten any replies. Here's what I put on mine when I replaced the regulator. It's a full flow. Works fine. Didn't use the black plastic part.
Thanks for the reply. LOL yeah I didn't even get any answers from the manufactures of these things! No one, not even the manufacturer, would explain the intended application of the different designs.

I ended up just using the exact same thing I took off (full-flow soft nose).
Old 02-14-2022, 05:57 PM   #4

Hi,

Some info about POL fittings. The flow restricting fitting is a safety feature that prevents or reduces uncontrolled venting of propane if a hose is broken. I do not think that there are any RV appliances that would require a full flow fitting.

As for the hard vs soft nose fitting, the hard nose fitting makes a gas tight seal by compressing the brass of the male and female fitting together. This fitting requires a wrench to tighten. The soft nose fitting uses an O-ring to make the seal. Introduced in 2002, these fittings are also called Type 1 service valves and are only tightened hand tight.

I do not think that the two types of POL connector are interchangeable. You did the right thing in replacing the fitting with the same type of fitting.

William
William1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Good info William, thanks.

Interestingly.. the original (and my replacement) was a soft-nose tightened with a wrench. Thinking about it, that's not the ideal one to use.

But what you say makes complete sense.. the soft-nose is for hand-tightened installations which are going to be disconnected/reconnected frequently.

While my replacement is OK, what I really should have used is a hard-nose POL with the safety feature, seeing as mine (like most RV installs) will rarely if ever be taken apart.

By the way, one thing I did come across is that there are some warnings out on those with the safety feature. Apparently they can trip and shut down the supply even when there is no leak - an unwanted hassle.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:30 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The only reason that I would have to take my POL off would be to replace the regulator. That's not a frequent repair. When I replaced mine, I did, like you, replace it with same brand/model that was on the RV.

It's probably worth mentioning that attention should be given to the propane hose(s). On my PW the only hose I have is from the regulator to the main line. From the main line on, throughout the coach, the rest of the LP routing is hard line. I believe it was Interblog who drew attention to the fact that any soft hoses should be examined and replaced at regular intervals.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote