Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 11:14 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default propane tank

Over the winter, my propane tank on my 1997 Popular 190 RT rusted through. For the time being, I am using a 20 lb. BBQ tank that sits outside the vehicle when I use it. Has anyone replaced the original tank? Mine is a Dodge 3500 chassis.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:16 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I took one out of a 1991 Dodge to paint it. I had to remove the rear driver side seat base, pull up the carpet behind the driver seat, and unbolt the tank from the top inside the van. Thankfully the carpet glue was hard and easy to separate. Reattaching the tank without help is challenging.

The rear mounted ones on the Chevy's are fully removable from the underside.

You will not be happy with the cost of a replacement: https://www.mobiliferv.ca/rv-parts/r.../?ssearch=tank
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:34 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Can you identify the manufacturer? I believe a lot of tanks are made by Manchester. If you can, google the mfg and see. My Pleasure Way tank is a Manchester. Replacement part (w/o) install is not as expensive as on Stevemo's link. But it might be more specialized for RT. I can't believe that RT had it's own LP tank mfg plant as these have to be ASME certified. But I could be wrong.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It is a Manchester tank on my 1999 Roadtrek, and I would imagine it is so for all of the vintage Roadtreks. But I do not think that Manchester is making those old models of tank anymore, so I expect the only way to get an exact fit would be buying one of the expensive tanks from www.mobiliferv.ca. Perhaps a similarly sized Manchester model with new brackets welded on to it might be made to work? I would be interested to hear if any RT owners have tried this.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:24 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I have an 06C210V and the factory tank is a Manchester.
Swishewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:03 PM   #6
Platinum Member

They were Manchester back to 1991 and probably from the beginning.
Roadtrek only welded to the mounts on the Manchester tanks. You would never weld to the pressure vessel portion of the tank or to a previously filled tank.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:08 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Are you sure it’s not just surface rust? Tank should last 100 years. Valves etc may need to be replaced, but can’t imagine your tank is actually rusted through.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote