Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 06:55 PM   #1

Default Propane tank flush?

Just got back our '99 Roadtrek 190 Popular from a refrigerator replacement. Maybe I'll post later the work done to get a new Dometic RM2351 to fit where the original Dometic RM2310 had been. Not a pretty picture.

Instead, I'll relate what the service guy here in Reno told me about the propane tank. I'd already removed the old fridge to bench test and determined it was a goner. Put a cap on the propane line so we could use the stove. The service guy said that after he turned of the propane and removed the cap oil bubbled out for quite a while. Turns out the oil is the odorant added to the propane to make its wonderful odor. He suggested the tank was probably close to needing replacement - and a new tank might take as much as three months to get. He wasn't sure that such an old tank could be flushed.

Does anyone know whether such a vintage propane tank can be flushed? Or need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

George
truckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckee View Post
Just got back our '99 Roadtrek 190 Popular from a refrigerator replacement. Maybe I'll post later the work done to get a new Dometic RM2351 to fit where the original Dometic RM2310 had been. Not a pretty picture.

Instead, I'll relate what the service guy here in Reno told me about the propane tank. I'd already removed the old fridge to bench test and determined it was a goner. Put a cap on the propane line so we could use the stove. The service guy said that after he turned of the propane and removed the cap oil bubbled out for quite a while. Turns out the oil is the odorant added to the propane to make its wonderful odor. He suggested the tank was probably close to needing replacement - and a new tank might take as much as three months to get. He wasn't sure that such an old tank could be flushed.

Does anyone know whether such a vintage propane tank can be flushed? Or need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

George

We have had that several times on 20# bottles at home and found that it isn't normally mostly in the tank. It would appear so, but it really was just in the tank valve and the hose. We think it comes from leaving the hose pressurized outside in cold causing the odorant or other things to condense out.

The last time, we didn't get a new tank or hoses. I flushed the hoses and then opened the valve a bit outside. It sprayed quite a bit for maybe 30 seconds then almost nothing. I let the remainder of the gas out of the tank that way, and then turned the tank upside down with the valve open and no oil. To do this you may need to put a short hose on to open the push shut in the valve.

You may have most of it in the lines if yours is similar. You can release the gas, then remove the tank and flush the lines. A new regulator would probably be necessary. You can remove the valve and turn that side down to see if anything comes out.

Propane shop guy told me that all tanks have some of the liquid laying in the bottom of them, but it can't get out so not a problem in use.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the encouraging reply. My problem is that the tank is fixed to the underside of the van behind the left rear wheel. So there's no hope of turning it upside down. I've looked at the thing and wasn't even able to identify the regulator. (I expected something like the one on our grill. No such luck.) While I'm ready to do mechanical or electrical stuff, messing about with gas is way down on my list.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Here is a photo of my Propane regulator that I had to replace after 2 years. I had left the valve open during the winter and the odor oil had plugged it up. Found a replacement on eBay for less than RV dealers. The photo changed rotation, the regulator is horizonal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Propane Regulator GR-9959.jpg (219.7 KB, 13 views)
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #5

Thanks. Now I have an idea of what to look for. Much obliged.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:46 AM   #6
Platinum Member

If it's any help at all: I cut short a trip because I smelled propane. My usual shop has instituted a policy where they won't do ANY work on a RV over than 20 years. So I bought an electronic LP sniffer and determined that my leak was coming from the regulator (2-stage which is why it looks different than the one on our BBQ). It really is an easy replacement. The POL fitting which goes into the tank valve is similar to your BBQ and is hand tightened. That left 2 connections: The POL fitting to the new regulator and the regulator out to the house line (mine was a flexible hose fitting). I put gas sealant on the threads of those 2 connections.

Back from 5 day trip: No smell; no leaks; all appliances working well.

Like you, LP gas is a bit scary. But after I did the replacement, I sniffed....turned off the gas....came back later, turned it on and lit the fridge plus the stove burners and the water heater. Turned everything off. Came back and opened the valve. Again no leaks or smell.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Welcome to the DIY club. Now you are learning about your rig and saving money by doing it yourself. There is a lot of knowledge on this and other sites with lots of us going thru the same problems. Glad you fixed your regulator.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:32 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I had a mixture of oil and water cause my water heater gas valve to fail. You may want to also check that.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ater-9378.html
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
Here is a photo of my Propane regulator that I had to replace after 2 years. I had left the valve open during the winter and the odor oil had plugged it up. Found a replacement on eBay for less than RV dealers. The photo changed rotation, the regulator is horizonal.
That looks like the Fairview regulator off of my 2016 Pleasure Way Lexor TS. I am surprised it lasted so long. On FB forum most of use have changed it out to the Marshall Excelsior (MEGR-29 Excela-Flo Two-Stage Compact Regulator. Some people have been replacing every two years or less? Why do you think we having so many problems with them?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, roadtrek 190 popular