Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2022, 08:31 PM   #1

Default Propane Tank from UK

With the recent shortage of undermount lpg tanks, I've considered ordering one from the UK. I'm hesitating because their tanks don't have a bleed valve. Of course, they include an OPD for 80% fill but no bleed valve. Are bleed valves required on permanently mounted rv tanks in the US, or will I have to add a bleed valve to be compliant? Thanks!
CampB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Probably more problems than that. Fill ports are different in the UK. May be best to wait it out.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #3

Actually, in the UK, rv tanks cannot be filled directly at the tank. A remote fill line is required, so the tank comes equipped with a 3/4" straight threaded male fitting on the fill valve. I've already sourced all the fittings I'll need to connect one of these tanks to my system. Only thing missing is the bleed valve and I don't know if I actually need one. The entire continent of Europe doesn't use bleed valves, so.... what could go wrong? Even if the OPD valve breaks and the tank is overfilled, the pressure relief valve will open when pressure gets too high. I'm just afraid that fill stations may not fill the tank if I don't have a bleed valve.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampB View Post
I'm just afraid that fill stations may not fill the tank if I don't have a bleed valve.
You could put your own in. Gotta admit I get uptight when the guy doesn’t use the bleed valve. One guy waited for the overfill protection valve to shut the filling down and it ended up too full. I bled it down to proper level after he left.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:37 PM   #5

I've looked into that too. Drilling a hole at the 80% line and tapping it with tapered NPT thread is a complicated project that I'm not sure I can make happen. Maybe a machine shop would be willing to do it for me.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Why are you replacing it? The tank is good for about 100 years. Are you doing a new build?
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:18 PM   #7

It's a new build. I decided not to get a tank from the UK. Found a Manchester 6840 (12"x28"), gonna move the spare to a rack and mount it through the floor

Tags
bleed, bleeder, propane, regulations, tank