Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 1998 Roadtrek 170 propane tank full but nothing coming out

Hi all. I'm pretty new to all of this and am stumped on getting propane to my burners and other LP appliances.

I had turned on the propane valve from the tank and the burners were working fine. I made sure the burners were off and closed and locked up the van but forgot to close the valve on the tank.

I went back yesterday to test a few more things, starting with the burners again but this time no gas was coming out. I then noticed that I had left the tank valve open so I flipped off the switch by the gas fill, shut the tank valve, flipped the switch back on and very slowly re-opened the tank valve. Still nothing so I went and had the propane topped off, still nothing.

I've attached pics of the main tank valve and on/off switch. The two things I'm not familiar with are the small release valve next to the gas fill and the small knob next to the main valve on the tank itself.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0574.jpg (175.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0576.jpg (173.1 KB, 50 views)
Kinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

My tank doesn't have a switch by the fill. Others: What does that do?

But I don't see why, when it was working fine, how failure to turn off the propane valve would result in the lack of propane at the stove burners. After all one could do the same thing while camping and, say, off for an overnight hike somewhere. It doesn't make sense to me. But again, I don't have your exact system.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Agreed, I feel like I'm missing something basic and will feel dumb once I find out what it is. I know that regular propane tank regulators (like on an outdoor grill) can cut off pressure if gas comes out too fast etc but not sure if that has anything to do with it, hence wondering about the two smaller knobs.

On a side-note, the propane detector inside of the vehicle (that I've read could potentially cut the feed) is green and appears to be functioning fine
Old 06-27-2020, 05:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Just a guess, but as a Roadtrek owner one of the photos looks like the RELEASE VALVE, to be used only when filling the tank.

That should ALWAYS be turned off ALL other times.

It is NOT the propane tank on & off knob.

Unless someone modified your knob.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Proceed CAREFULLY ..
Old 06-27-2020, 06:06 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Are you referring to the one on the left of the on/off switch?

If that's the case it narrows things down but now I'm curious as to what the knob to the left of the main valve on the tank is
Old 06-27-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinch View Post

If that's the case it narrows things down but now I'm curious as to what the knob to the left of the main valve on the tank is
I am 50 miles away from my unit so.I cannot advise you as accurately as you need in this situation that has the potential to be deadly.

My on off knob is designed to be turned by a hand, its bigger than a Silver Dollar, versus the RELIEF VALVE which can be manipulated by fingers.

Also I do not have an On Off Switch on my rig.

I recommend reaching out to BOOSTER
Old 06-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
Bronze Member

sounds good, thanks
Old 06-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:

I just enlarged your photo - it may be that the relief valve on YOUR MODEL is actually the small knob in between.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Again, I have no idea what the switch is for but if it is some type of switch controlling a valve that shuts off the propane, despite the fact that the manual valve is open, I'd check all fuses and breakers to see what circuit that valve is on. Perhaps as simple as a blown fuse.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #11
Site Team

Many (most?) setups that have electric solenoid propane valves have such a switch at the fill point, so that the filler guy can ensure that the propane is off before beginning the filling. Often, this switch is in series with ANOTHER switch inside somewhere, so that the occupant can shut off the gas when it is not needed. In this case, they both have to be on in order to have gas.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Many (most?) setups that have electric solenoid propane valves have such a switch at the fill point, so that the filler guy can ensure that the propane is off before beginning the filling. Often, this switch is in series with ANOTHER switch inside somewhere, so that the occupant can shut off the gas when it is not needed. In this case, they both have to be on in order to have gas.
Interesting. So the solenoid valve is in addition to the manual valve. I wonder why, in that setup, you'd even need the latter. Perhaps for service (replacing the solenoid valve)?
Old 06-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies, I'll search around for another switch and will see if I can find out if that's relief valve
Old 06-27-2020, 10:48 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Interesting. So the solenoid valve is in addition to the manual valve. I wonder why, in that setup, you'd even need the latter. Perhaps for service (replacing the solenoid valve)?

My Rig is a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190 - to have two switches seems like overkill.

And if by chance you are a Smoker, of any kind, now would be a great time to stop completely.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:29 PM   #15
Platinum Member

check with Marco Polo, he has the same rig
Old 06-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Just a guess, but as a Roadtrek owner one of the photos looks like the RELEASE VALVE, to be used only when filling the tank.

That should ALWAYS be turned off ALL other times.

It is NOT the propane tank on & off knob.

Unless someone modified your knob.
THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Only talking about the first picture, it looks to me like you have the electric solenoid propane on/off (switch). The yellow cap is the fill, the small bleeder valve is to the left and above. Should only be opened by the person filling propane. If you turned the bleeder valve, all your propane could have leaked out over night. What does your monitor panel show?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:20 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
And if by chance you are a Smoker, of any kind, now would be a great time to stop completely.
Yeah, I quit smoking so that's not an issue. I do remember seeing a cartoon maybe 30 or 40 years ago that had 2 old decrepid guys with walkers at an assisted living home with one saying "God damn I'm glad I quit smoking." A friend and I quit smoking at about the same time. We tell ourselves we'll start again at 85.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Only talking about the first picture, it looks to me like you have the electric solenoid propane on/off (switch). The yellow cap is the fill, the small bleeder valve is to the left and above. Should only be opened by the person filling propane. If you turned the bleeder valve, all your propane could have leaked out over night. What does your monitor panel show?
Yeah, I made sure the bleeder was tight and that it hadn't bled out and the monitor panel and gauge on the tank both show full (I had it topped off to make sure as well).

I won't get over to the van until tomorrow but will post my findings
Old 06-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Location: East of world famous Sedro Woolley, west of Concrete

Quote:
Yeah, I made sure the bleeder was tight and that it hadn't bled out and the monitor panel and gauge on the tank both show full (I had it topped off to make sure as well).

I won't get over to the van until tomorrow but will post my findings
Maybe I missed it being mentioned, and I don't see it in your pics, but have you checked the 2-stage regulator? (I'm assuming you have one.)

Sometimes those fail, with exactly the symptom you describe.
Now, with trip reports!!!!
skagitstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #20
Bronze Member

I didn't see one but will check again, maybe I missed it