Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #21
Bronze Member

There's no regulator, I traced the lines and the feed just goes straight to the solenoid. I tried to clean it but it's pretty gummed up where the wires are going in...ordered a new one and will have to procure some ramps but will replace within the week and see if that fixes the issue. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

*pic is sideways and I'm too lazy to re-upload
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0587.jpg (173.6 KB, 13 views)
Kinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Regulator is under the plastic cover.
IMG_0587.jpg

Solenoid might be leaking - I've never had an RV with a solenoid so I don't know whether they all look like that.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Regulator is under the plastic cover.
Attachment 9390

Solenoid might be leaking - I've never had an RV with a solenoid so I don't know whether they all look like that.
Ah ok, thanks. I was just shuffling under but will get some ramps to be able to access better and get to the regulator then
Old 07-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Probably time to have a tech look at it - no point in risking a fire.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Yeah I have a mechanic set for next week, Will probably hold off and just have the replacement reg and solenoid on hand in case he needs.

best to avoid hazard
Old 07-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #26
Gold Member

Close the valve down completely. Then turn on your stove to bless off the pressure. Then turn off stove go outside and turn valve on slowly and fully. Sometimes when you open it too fast it senses it as a ruptured line and shuts it off.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #27
Gold Member

On my Travato there are two switches. One inside and one next to where you fill the tank. The only valve is underneath on the tank and is always on. The solenoids control off/on. If either one is off, no gas. Like others have said the small "finger" valves are used when filling the tank. The one at the tank is always off and the other is on while filling the tank. When propane comes out of it the tank is full and the valve turned off.

The solenoids have a fuse somewhere. Probably where are the others are. If the fuse is blown the solenoids are off and no gas.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #28

Could you have a leak in your system, and the tank has emptied itself?
John Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #29
Gold Member

I do agree with Btad1998 to turn the tank off and leave for a few minutes. Then with all appliances off, fully open the main valve and try again. Even a propane bbq has this feature where the regulator has a safety valve that turns everything off If it senses an open line even when your tank is full. This may seem an over simple solution but best to start with simple Then move to The rest of the system and parts replacements.
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #30

I feel like an idiot, I missed the heading in the article. (Full tank)
John Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinch View Post
Yeah I have a mechanic set for next week, Will probably hold off and just have the replacement reg and solenoid on hand in case he needs.

best to avoid hazard
Kinch,

Unless an aha moment arrives & it is a simple fix you have overlooked, having a Professional work on this is not only best, its prudent.

Its an older rig & who knows, maybe it needs some specific work to get everything up to safe requirements.

Owners forget you are driving around with a potential Gas Bomb attached, plus the Fire Hazard.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Kinch,

I have a 1999 Roadtrek 170. Just to sum up: the on/off switch on the top-right of your first picture controls a solenoid that can open or close the gas flow. The small valve to its left is the pressure release valve. The small valve in your second picture is the other end of that same release valve (connected together by the hose and always closed). The pressure release valve (in the first picture) should be closed unless filling - but if it were open, you would hear and smell gas.

The solenoid is shut by default and only opens if you have power. It consumes a bit more than 1 amp-hour, which can wear down a small battery very quickly. So perhaps you simply don't have enough juice in your battery to open the solenoid. You can try to see if it works when you are on shore power. When you turn that switch on, you will hear (if you listen closely) a click as the solenoid engages.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #33
Bronze Member

Thank you all for the replies. My laptop hard-drive died so I haven't been able to respond but I ended up swapping out the solenoid but still no gas.

In reconnecting the wiring for the new solenoid the fuse for the propane shutoff
inside the cab (which was good before) blew. I replaced that but still no luck.
I then put in a new regulator which solved the issue.

I agree bout the safety concerns but felt comfortable enough that what I was working on was down-stream from a closed main tank valve and I left plenty of time for any line gas to dissipate and checked for any leaks before proceeding.

Cheers again for all the suggestions
Old 07-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Glad you persevered and we appreciate the update. Might help someone else down the road. Thanks.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Kinch,

You sre still with us & above ground, Hallelujah!
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote