Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #1

Default Pull van body off chassis

Hi all I am Todd from Iowa I just bought a 1978 Dodge Xplorer Weekender and a 1970 TowLow. I have been camping for years never knew about this group but am real glad I did it will help in the restore of my RV's. The motor is locked up but I have found a 1978 Dodge Goodtimes van with a working motor need to find some manuals if anyone has any. I do not know if it can be done but I want to pull the body off the chassis to do the swap and rebuild of the motor does anyone have any info on how to do this?

Thanks
Todd from Iowa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2184.JPG (192.2 KB, 663 views)
Old 08-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pull van body off chassis

Note: I copied this post from the registered members area so that more people can see it.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
Platinum Member

You have an ambitious appetite Todd. I can't help, but wish you success. Regards.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Hi,
I'm also uncertain as to how to do it, or if it can be done without spending enough to buy a new RV.
I'm not familiar with the model you're working with, but there are probably a few spots where the body
and frame are inter-connected for the RV systems, like plumbing and electrical, which would make it
harder to pull the body off.
Two starting points might be the manufacturer of the van body/chassis (Chrysler/Dodge) to see if it
can be done inexpensively, or the conversion company, Xplorer.
I think you'd be better advised to work around the "body still on chassis" issues when swapping in the
functional motor. It might be awkward, but will probably save you money in the long run.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Bronze Member

the dodge van is unit construction, it does not have a seperate frame. it is, however, well designed and very strong. i have had 5 or 6 of these vans, with no body problems at all. the front suspension and rear suspension are mostly bolted on and can be exchanged if necessary. the front bumper, grill , radiator , etc, are easily removed. i believe the engine comes out the door with a small lift. it may be necessary to unbolt and remove the front seats. sounds difficult, but, most is bolt on. buy or borrow a dodge van repair manual, a cheap one will do. it shows the steps to remove the engine. it's not as bad as it looks. the manual gives great tips and tricks, and you will need friends to help. be sure and salvage any good parts from your donor van, it will save money down the road. if only the transmision needs replaced, it can be removed from below on a lift.

good luck !!
obiewan kanobe is offline   Reply With Quote