Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2021, 01:10 AM   #1

Question PW. 1999 window curtain replacements

My ( new to me ) vintage van is missing the windscreen curtains but has the rail mounted with the little clips for the curtains still in place. The seller said he didn’t get them when he bought the van - he was the 4 th owner . The other curtains are there but look a-bit bleached out and if they are original and they look to be then that would make them over 21 yrs old . What are the options for replacing the window curtains in a 1999 Dodge pleasure way ? I know they are useful for preventing sun bleaching of the interior and dash board and privacy when the van is in use .
And while I have your attention - the bath room has a curtain rail but no shower curtain - I am used to a house bath room shower curtain fixture . What attachments do I need to buy in order to attach a new shower curtain ?
Thanks
Mayanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:36 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Contact Pleasure Way for both items as a starting point.

Roadtrek was totally irrational at $240 for a $10 shower curtain. It would help to know if the OEM items are available and at what cost and make your decisions from there. Just an opinion.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:23 AM   #3
Platinum Member

How about something like this? I find the front curtains on ours a complete nuisance.
Window cover.jpg
Old 01-31-2021, 03:52 AM   #4

HI Jon
One of my concerns about the coverings mounted outside is - if I wanted to see out the window during the night - i have to leave the vehicle to remove the cover . I have a question what did you find the most annoying about your front window coverings ? I am interested to know bec that may be why the previous owner on my rig opted out and removed it .
Old 01-31-2021, 04:27 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I don’t use the front windshield curtains either. We put a line behind the front seats and thread a retractable curtain on it. When sitting in the rotated seats we prefer to see out.

The shower curtain is another matter. It needs to be a high quality fabric based waterproof curtain that extends to the floor. If you are going to use the shower you need to have one.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The curtains are stiff and time-consuming to deploy and stow. The track doesn’t slide very smoothly. The front hangs down straight but the windshield is slanted, so the whole top of the dashboard is behind the curtain and gets hot. Your head bumps them when you're sitting in the seats. They let a lot of light past the folds and small gaps, as well as the fabric itself. When stowed they sometimes brush against your head while driving, depending on the seat and headrest position. The fabric deteriorates with extended sun exposure in storage.

I actually just put a pop-up sunscreen in the windshield and pieces of Reflectix friction fit in the driver and passenger windows. We usually park with views to the side or back and leave the front covered in camp. I sometime remove one to crack open a front window for ventilation.

I’ve considered a wraparound exterior cover but haven’t bought one yet. It’s a bit heavier and bulkier to store compared to the Reflectix and sunscreen. I hadn’t thought about the security issue of needing to peek out the front. I guess if you camp where security is a concern, you wouldn’t want to exit the camper to remove the cover to drive, either.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:38 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I too, stashed my PW curtains.

they are fiddley and hang down in line with the dash board

I cut a piece of reflectix which covers the windshield and use the visors to hold in place ( other pieces cut for door windows and the doors closed on them) this gives a bit more space and if the seat is rotated it's not snagging

I do have the exterior cover and use for multi-day camping

you can get shower curtain at home store and find the roller clips which attach to the rail ( if you don't have) and make one.

i'm not sure if these roller clips are the correct size, but you get the idea

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-A...s%2C327&sr=8-3

my shower curtain is stashed as well, we don;t shower inside. we are either in a campground and paying them for water and energy to heat it ( wear flip flops) or we are in the boonies and use the out door shower wand

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:39 AM   #8

Thanks everyone . Great advice . I will look into the pop up sun screens for the inside windscreen and get some reflectex. Saw some vids on you tube on how to customize it to fit .
Old 02-01-2021, 02:26 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayanna View Post
Thanks everyone . Great advice . I will look into the pop up sun screens for the inside windscreen and get some reflectex. Saw some vids on you tube on how to customize it to fit .
I used newspaper and tape to make templates. Then I cut the Reflectix a bit large and trimmed it down just enough to get a tight fit. I made panels for all the windows except the front windshield.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:58 PM   #10

HI Jon
I like the idea of the newspaper templates . Did you purchase the Pop up sunscreen for the windscreen on Amazon ?
Old 02-02-2021, 02:48 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayanna View Post
HI Jon
I like the idea of the newspaper templates . Did you purchase the Pop up sunscreen for the windscreen on Amazon ?
Walmart, I think.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:13 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Here is what I got for the windscreen : https://www.carcoversdirect.com/part.../materials/333

It is custom tailored to fit your windscreen.

And used Reflectix for the side windows.

Very happy with the setup.
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Some years back I installed the Eclipse sun shade. Quick to deploy and retract. Helps keep the hot sun out. Stores itself at the sides of the windshield.Would buy again in any future Class B.
https://eclipsesunshades.net/

Tom
07C210
Roadtrek
Roadtreker357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:40 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Me too, bought one and we love it...
Hammernine is offline   Reply With Quote