Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 12:55 AM   #41
BBQ
Platinum Member

OK, just for argument's sake,
if you drive a Tesla across the country,
and intercept the SuperCharger Stations along the way,
you can have a free ride !!!

Old 06-12-2018, 01:02 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

OK, just for argument's sake,
if you drive a Tesla across the country,
and intercept the SuperCharger Stations along the way,
you can have a free ride !!!

Sure, you can even chew on the leather upholstery for food and sleep in at night, all for free, and then the only cost will be for a chiropractor when you arrive.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:42 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Driving 3 days across the country is very optimistic or self-torture. That's about 3,000 miles and over 46 hours pure drive time at best not counting rest stops, food, gas stops, sleeping, etc. You definitely would not have time to see anything.

But hey, the next Roadtrek Adventurous owner is going to have a creampuff of a Class B in pristine condition. They may have to replace the almost new Michelin tires with age.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:53 AM   #44
Silver Member

Like mumkin, I don't have a car anymore. I drive my Aktiv everywhere and don't think twice about gas mileage. If you can't find a campground, pay for a day pass at a local gym, grab a quick workout and a hot shower.
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:00 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Well, the record time from Manhattan to Redondo Beach in less than 29 hours was in a Mercedes but I don’t think it was a Sprinter...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #46
Bronze Member

The personal values applied in deciding to buy a class B and/or to use it for a particular cross country trip are infinitely variable. There are no universal "right" answers and a mess of personal values tradeoffs in most decisions. We can probably only express what makes sense to us individually and hope that, at best, others will find it helpful to them. We are all muddling through, it's nice to have fellow muddler travelers on this journey called life.
jaak1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
But hey, the next Roadtrek Adventurous owner is going to have a creampuff of a Class B in pristine condition. They may have to replace the almost new Michelin tires with age.
Your sarcasm is duly noted, but one can be confident that his RT Adventurous will see many miles, maybe to the chagrin of the next owner and you 😉 Though I'm still a wannabee, I appreciated RTA's posts because his thought process was typed for us all to see. I learn a lot from posters like RTA and you. I gain perspective on how I will use my future van and if I will even own an auto.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Default Well said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaak1993 View Post
The personal values applied in deciding to buy a class B and/or to use it for a particular cross country trip are infinitely variable. There are no universal "right" answers and a mess of personal values tradeoffs in most decisions. We can probably only express what makes sense to us individually and hope that, at best, others will find it helpful to them. We are all muddling through, it's nice to have fellow muddler travelers on this journey called life.
I'm NOT selling my Class B.... anytime soon.... BUT, that doesn't mean I'm getting rid of my car either......

It's all about choosing the right vehicle for the right circumstance...and the places I'm going really require a vehicle that is more agile and competent on back roads.....

A few years ago before I acquired my Class B...I took the Subaru here...see video...it's an unmaintained dirt road........let me tell you...the RS Adventurous would not be good here....

https://youtu.be/3mFXjXCnGL0

My next adventure with the car is in Colorado and possibly at places where there may be similar situations like this.....

The Subaru Outback is quite capable of doing this .... the AWD and athletic suspension with a higher ground clearance than either my RS or many other cars... makes it ideal for this sort of thing.....

The mere suggestion by one of you that I should sell the RS just because I'm thinking of taking a trip like this demonstrates how little you know about what I intend to do...

I don't think you would take your Class B down roads like this... maybe I'm wrong???
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Driving 3 days across the country is very optimistic or self-torture. That's about 3,000 miles and over 46 hours pure drive time at best not counting rest stops, food, gas stops, sleeping, etc. You definitely would not have time to see anything.

HaHa,

Not long after I opted for early retirement I drove our truck and 31 ft Airstream trailer from our home near Toronto to San Diego in 3-1/2 days! But that was nearly 20 years ago - I've slowed down now that I realise that being retired means I can take things easy.

Now, if we are on a multi day drive, I like to get an early start - maybe 0730hrs, and call it quits around mid afternoon with a G&T or two!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #50
Platinum Member

If I needed a 4x4 at any particular destination, I’d simply rent one. Otherwise, nothing beats the convenience or comfort traveling in a B, and the cost savings are easily demonstrable. Also, you can’t put a price on the cost of having a heart attack from loading and then unloading all of your and spouse’s luggage at each nite’s stop, All the packing and unpacking would drive me nuts, and last I checked, psychologists are pretty expensive.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #51
Platinum Member

RA, that's a great video for reference. That video looks on the edge of something I would try with the B, around 50 sec there are some ruts that would require careful attention, and around 1:50 there is another section that I might get out to survey before driving. Those are the only places I saw that looked worse than my last outing. I would also want it to be dry, which it was in the video, but won't always be. I didn't see low branches that worried me, but maybe I missed something. So I'd probably be foolish enough to do it, but I'd be driving more slowly...
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #52
Platinum Member

FWIW, my last cross county trip (SC to CA) was 4 full days. no restaurant meals and did not pay to park anywhere. just gas. it was alot of fun and not fatiguing at all.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Default Chicago Stump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfturner View Post
RA, that's a great video for reference. That video looks on the edge of something I would try with the B, around 50 sec there are some ruts that would require careful attention, and around 1:50 there is another section that I might get out to survey before driving. Those are the only places I saw that looked worse than my last outing. I would also want it to be dry, which it was in the video, but won't always be. I didn't see low branches that worried me, but maybe I missed something. So I'd probably be foolish enough to do it, but I'd be driving more slowly...
Just so you know, in many places the road was completely washed out... with a huge chasm down the middle... and the Outback bobbed up and down going over these places... think Indiana Jones here... I'm not kidding. BUT, the Outback got us there and back... thank goodness. From the entrance to the area off the main highway inside Sequoia ... it was about 2 1/2 miles of twists and turns up and down this dirt road..

See this picture and enlarge it... It's partly in shade, but, you can still see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Washed out road on the way to the Chicago Stump.jpg (230.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpig View Post
Your sarcasm is duly noted, but one can be confident that his RT Adventurous will see many miles, maybe to the chagrin of the next owner and you 😉 Though I'm still a wannabee, I appreciated RTA's posts because his thought process was typed for us all to see. I learn a lot from posters like RTA and you. I gain perspective on how I will use my future van and if I will even own an auto.
RTS asked and all he said was gas would be cheaper. Then later he said his wife did not share in the driving. Then later he said he would need a car when he got to his destination. Now, he introduces a video going to a trail head and needing his Subaru. I watched the video. I've been down many a road like that in my B and without 4x4. I don't need lectures about Subarus. I've owned five of them. In effect he provides moving criteria to justify his decision he probably made before posting because he ignores any comment contrary to his decision. He is consistent with that in most threads he has started. I wish I had all that Class B knowledge after an 11,000 mile trip.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Default If you want to ruin your suspension go ahead

Quote:
RTS asked and all he said was gas would be cheaper. Then later he said his wife did not share in the driving. Then later he said he would need a car when he got to his destination. Now, he introduces a video going to a trail head and needing his Subaru. I watched the video. I've been down many a road like that in my B and without 4x4. I don't need lectures about Subarus. I've owned five of them. In effect he provides moving criteria to justify his decision he probably made before posting because he ignores any comment contrary to his decision. He is consistent with that in most threads he has started. I wish I had all that Class B knowledge after an 11,000 mile trip.
I'm not interested in your opinion or anything you think about taking your Class B into the back roads. Actually, I don't believe half of anything you've posted on the forum including your previous comments to me about my suspension upgrade being all in my head....

As for Subarus.. I'm just stating a fact that they are light off road capable.... most people know that....

Gasoline aside... it's not about money as I'll probably spend more on hotels..... every vacation is different....mind your own business.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #56
Site Team

[From your moderator team]

Hey, folks:
Please address the issues, not the people.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I'm not interested in your opinion or anything you think about taking your Class B into the back roads. Actually, I don't believe half of anything you've posted on the forum including your previous comments to me about my suspension upgrade being all in my head....

As for Subarus.. I'm just stating a fact that they are light off road capable.... most people know that....

Gasoline aside... it's not about money as I'll probably spend more on hotels..... every vacation is different....mind your own business.
This post clearly indicates an inability to recognize the difference between a scalpel and a bludgeon.

Fact: Davydd has already forgotten more about class Bs than you are likely to ever learn.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #58
Site Team

PLEASE don't make us start deleting messages again.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
FWIW, my last cross county trip (SC to CA) was 4 full days. no restaurant meals and did not pay to park anywhere. just gas. it was alot of fun and not fatiguing at all.
Do you ever have that right! There's nothing like the feeling you have when you're King of the Road.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:41 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
. I've been down many a road like that in my B and without 4x4.
I used to think that 4 x 4 was invincible until I watched the ARV video of a Sprinter sinking like a stone in the mud requiring a Jeep to pull it out. Is it feasible to set up a rear hitch mounted winch that could at least drag you back out of what you get into?