Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 08:58 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average_alice View Post
Make sure you run a chemical block test! We didn’t know about those...around $40 maybe...our biggest buying mistake.

Are you referring to a combustion product in the coolant test? Water in the oil test? The only way I know of to check a block itself is with it disassembled and Magnflux it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:01 AM   #22
Silver Member

I probably am mis-quoting our mechanic but it was done through the radiator; my understanding was that our coolant was mixing with engine hydrocarbons, and we had a blown head gasket (even though there were no signs of overheating). The cost to repair a V8, with noisy valves and possibly other unknown problems as yet to be discovered, persuaded us to get the new engine. Who knows if that was a good call but we are enjoying the relative peace of mind anyway.
Average_alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:18 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average_alice View Post
I probably am mis-quoting our mechanic but it was done through the radiator; my understanding was that our coolant was mixing with engine hydrocarbons, and we had a blown head gasket (even though there were no signs of overheating). The cost to repair a V8, with noisy valves and possibly other unknown problems as yet to be discovered, persuaded us to get the new engine. Who knows if that was a good call but we are enjoying the relative peace of mind anyway.

That is the combustion products in coolant test and a very good thing to do. If there are combustion products in the coolant it is most often a blown head gasket and can also be a cracked head or block.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote