Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #1

Default Questions about 2014 Roadtrek 190 Popular Anniversary Edition

I recently ran across a 2014 Roadtrek 190 Popular Anniversary Edition for sale. It has many unique features that I have never or rarely see on any other Roadtrek's on the Chevy Express chassis including:

- Underhood generator
- Higher roof (seems to have the Ranger roof with no real 3 window ports)
- Alde heater / water heater system
- Compressor fridge
- 3000 watt inverter
- Four season package (not sure what this entails)
- 10 gallon larger tank
- Large solar array
- Large AGM battery bank
- Under carriage spare tire

My question, from those who want to speculate or have first hand knowledge, is why do I not see hardly any of these features on later production models on the Express chassis?

Were there failures with the systems or did they just want to have something "special" for the Anniversary Edition?
Old 10-31-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

They list the options for the anniversary model in the 2014 brochure online. Pretty much as you describe.

With no Onan generator and AGM batteries, maybe no propane, it could have been a hard sell in 2014.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf57 View Post
I recently ran across a 2014 Roadtrek 190 Popular Anniversary Edition for sale. It has many unique features that I have never or rarely see on any other Roadtrek's on the Chevy Express chassis including:
Is this the unit at Sunshine State RV with 75k miles ??? I looked at that 4 months ago and know the previous owner.
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
Is this the unit at Sunshine State RV with 75k miles ??? I looked at that 4 months ago and know the previous owner.
Yes. I find it interesting that they have it listed as a 2015. Why didn't you purchase it?
Old 10-31-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Sounds more like a gussied up Ranger than anything special. Did it have a small propane tank in the driver side storage? Ground effects on the doors?

They may just had a whole pile of unsold Ranger parts they had to get rid of.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Sounds more like a gussied up Ranger than anything special. Did it have a small propane tank in the driver side storage? Ground effects on the doors?

They may just had a whole pile of unsold Ranger parts they had to get rid of.
Yes, it has a small propane tank on the driver's side. Looks like you are on to something!
Old 10-31-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:

- Compressor fridge
I'm pretty sure this is a 3 way/propane fridge and not a compressor model. I don't think RT adopted any compressor fridges on their Sprinters and 210 Chevys until 2016 and only now for the 2019 190 Chevy model can you opt for a compressor fridge.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I'm pretty sure this is a 3 way/propane fridge and not a compressor model. I don't think RT adopted any compressor fridges on their Sprinters and 210 Chevys until 2016 and only now for the 2019 190 Chevy model can you opt for a compressor fridge.
I believe the fridge was not a dometic. it was replaced i think with a norcold. It was a compressor fridge.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:07 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes. I find it interesting that they have it listed as a 2015. Why didn't you purchase it?
Mark,

It's an absolutely beautiful unit. Legitimate high quality leather instead of the junk they are using on most of the units. beautiful led lighting and, according to the previous owner, everything worked except the aldi heating system.

I plan on putting on some serious mileage, and i wasn't willing to go near the price they were asking. (73k). Based on the appraisal i got (RV Prices and values) I offered 63k due to the mileage, but they wouldn't budge on price. I think it's been on their lot since early mid-june and they have not lowered their price.. Sunshine State is a great dealer and they move lots of equipment.. But they ask high prices based upon the quality work they do, so i could not come close on any of the units i looked at... I ended up buying a 2015 w/ 29k miles with solar for 70k from PPL motorhomes. I'll end up putting 5 or 6,000 into it, but for me, it was a better deal...

The original owner is a road warrior and from what i could tell did take good care of it. I loved all the options...

But the mileage and price difference make the deal a non-starter for me...

I did NOT test drive it...
Old 10-31-2018, 11:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Mark,

It's an absolutely beautiful unit. Legitimate high quality leather instead of the junk they are using on most of the units. beautiful led lighting and, according to the previous owner, everything worked except the aldi heating system.

I plan on putting on some serious mileage, and i wasn't willing to go near the price they were asking. (73k). Based on the appraisal i got (RV Prices and values) I offered 63k due to the mileage, but they wouldn't budge on price. I think it's been on their lot since early mid-june and they have not lowered their price.. Sunshine State is a great dealer and they move lots of equipment.. But they ask high prices based upon the quality work they do, so i could not come close on any of the units i looked at... I ended up buying a 2015 w/ 29k miles with solar for 70k from PPL motorhomes. I'll end up putting 5 or 6,000 into it, but for me, it was a better deal...

The original owner is a road warrior and from what i could tell did take good care of it. I loved all the options...

But the mileage and price difference make the deal a non-starter for me...

I did NOT test drive it...
Thank you for the great follow-up. I wonder what's wrong with the Alde heating system? Looking at the pictures, the reservoir for the Alde looks empty.

I was going to order a price report from RV Prices and values. Thanks for letting me know what your experience was with them standing firm on price.

They definitely have a good reputation and sell a lot of Roadtreks. I'm surprised they have it listed as a 2015 when my understanding is the Anniversary models are all 4's.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:29 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you for the great follow-up. I wonder what's wrong with the Alde heating system? Looking at the pictures, the reservoir for the Alde looks empty.

I was going to order a price report from RV Prices and values. Thanks for letting me know what your experience was with them standing firm on price.

They definitely have a good reputation and sell a lot of Roadtreks. I'm surprised they have it listed as a 2015 when my understanding is the Anniversary models are all 4's.
The paperwork i remember said 2015. I believe there were only 40 of them built.

I'm sure sunshine state will have the aldi system working... My comment about it not working was at the time of the trade in.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:47 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Is it like this? gfgfdgdgf

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:54 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Yes,
that's it..
Old 11-01-2018, 12:20 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
I believe the fridge was not a dometic. it was replaced i think with a norcold. It was a compressor fridge.
Probably the owner switched it out which is a plus. From what I was told, a 190 ordered today delivers with a propane fridge unless the owner orders a compressor unit. I hazard the guess that RT is depleting existing 3 way units in inventory and after that is accomplished, compressor units will become standard.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Probably the owner switched it out which is a plus. From what I was told, a 190 ordered today delivers with a propane fridge unless the owner orders a compressor unit. I hazard the guess that RT is depleting existing 3 way units in inventory and after that is accomplished, compressor units will become standard.

The compressor fridge was original equipment. Notice the lack of "holes" on the side of the van.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:

The compressor fridge was original equipment. Notice the lack of "holes" on the side of the van.
Yep, you're absolutely right. There's no arguing with a photograph.

It's perplexing why they would offer a compressor version that year and discontinue it subsequently while going to compressor fridges in every other model in subsequent years. A dealer tells me that currently the 190 still normally delivers with a propane fridge but can be ordered with a compressor unit which IMO is a no-brainer. . They also said that the mocha steel paint job wowed folks but that the $20,000 premium for the 190 anniversary version resulted in only around 30-40 units sold. It employed the Alde heating system that had some problems.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:20 AM   #17
Platinum Member

One big plus for the Anniversary Edition; if you're tall; is they kept the 190 lowered floor and used the Ranger's higher cap which adds 2" of headroom over a normal 190 (about 6"3" according to the video).
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't think RT adopted any compressor fridges on their Sprinters and 210 Chevys until 2016.

My 2013 RS has a Norcold compressor refrigerator as standard equipment.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #19

I saw it also a few weeks ago. I'm partial to the extra seat of earlier Populars, and service on the Aldi combo unit was a question I didn't want to answer at that price level. Nice unit but not for me.

$.02 Paul (Summerfield, Fl)
Marathonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #20

Default 40th Anniversary Edition

I owned an Anniversary edition (Mine was a 2014, but they did offer the package as a 2015) as my first Roadtrek. I could go on forever talking about it, but wanted to mention a few issues particular to that model:

1. The shower is very cumbersome to use and ends up making a mess. The center aisle drain is the only shower drain, there is no pan.
2. The toilet is an electric flush model. Although very nice, it fills the 10 gallon tank up VERY quickly, using 1/2 to 1 gallon per flush depending on the setting. I didn't even fully realize what a difference this made until I bought my current van with a manual toilet and the same size tank.

There are many other differences, but those I found the most limiting. Unless you're going to tow something heavy, I would take a long hard look at a new Promaster build, such as the Simplicity (SRT). For less money you may be better served and have a warranty to boot!
preludes is offline   Reply With Quote