Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Don't think I was clear on my query, sorry. I was asking about going the other way - converting a TS to a TD. So the question is: is there anything behind or underneath the sofa that would preclude yanking it out and putting in a pair of twin beds?

OP wants to leave one bed set up at all times and use the other as a bench to sit on for working at the table.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #22
Platinum Member

GettinHitchy, I am going to make a suggestion to you.

Go to some RV dealer that has a Roadtrek 190 Popular of any vintage. These are built on a standard Chevy 3500 chassis and are not widened or stretched. Then, drive a wider body van like a Roadtrek 210 or a PW like you mentioned. They will also be longer. You will instantly get a feel for the difference in being able to park and by comparing two similar products ( a 190 and a 210 if both happen to be Roadtreks) you can really grasp a lot of things about what you get and give up for width and length.

The newer model 190s often have an enclosed wet bath just like the bigger brothers. I am not suggesting a 190 to you but just am saying you can readily get a broad grasp of the differences. Our personal preferences determine which brand and model works best for our uses. And they all beat a tent!!!!!!!!

Just a thought.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #23
Platinum Member

The Chevy Roadtreks will only be after 2002/2003, and in those early years there were also Dodges. The years before that were all Dodges except for some Chevy 210s. The late 90s and early 2000s did have a Chevy based Roadtrek 200 that was on a cutway chassis and a wide body that is also quite short.

A 190 Chevy Roadtrek will be longer than an Excel, not shorter, as Excels are not all that long. A Roadtrek 210 will be longer than a 190 by about 16".
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:22 AM   #24

Hi all - I'm so happy to see all the input, suggestions and thoughts.

WanderingWes - I appreciate the details on what you did and the costs associated to address the handling problems if they exist. I will certainly keep that in mind.

MsNomer - I probably will head over to the other site to see about building my own. If I do the math and it works that could certainly be a nice option. Thanks for suggesting it!

Paul - I've driven a 190 and loved it except for the bathroom set up not meeting my needs. I've been in an Excel TS but didn't drive it at the time because I wasn't sure a wide body is the direction to go, but I think you are right - I will have to drive it as well.

Booster - Thank you for the details on lengths and widths of the differing vans, I will keep both of those in mind.

I had to take a two hour trip into Los Angeles yesterday and noticed a lot of Winnebago Sprinter vans and they are shockingly tall and boxy to me! I think I've seen some with lower tops, but it re-enforced my decision that I prefer the lower and "rounder" style vans like the PW and RT. The Promasters seem to hit a nice middle of the road between the two styles, so that option is not out. Thanks all, I'm appreciating the direction, suggestions and comments very much.
GettinHitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #25
BBQ
Platinum Member

Tall and boxy is the new norm.
Look carefully, 90% of the new vans (whether RV or not) are tall and boxy.

ps. not saying the older style is not good enough. Just stating the trend.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #26
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
GettinHitchy, now that your head is full of options, maybe consider another. For $50,000, you can start with a new gas Promaster and upfit it fairly luxuriously to your wants. I have about $40,000 in mine. With that kind of money, you can afford to have almost everything done by someone else if you can't do it yourself, though most surprise themselves at what they can do--this is not rocket science.

We have a number of women on promasterforum.com who are enjoying their self-builds. You would be welcome. Feel free to PM me with questions.

To address your original question, all versions of the PM are 80" wide. Fifteen minutes into the initial drive, the width will cease to be an issue.

+1

Old 01-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Default Questions about bathrooms(!) and wide body vans

... also Mercedes has only stopped selling diesels cars and SUVs in the USA. The V-6 diesel engine is still the only option in Sprinters for 2018. That might change in 2019.
- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 01-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayelle View Post
………………………Their engines require less than 5% biodiesel, and the US does not produce this fuel…...
Correction, 5% or less available in US, at least for me. There are many business Sprinter or RV Sprinter owners happy now and in the future as Mercedes will continue to sell them.

I can see your point that large Nissan vans are the best-looking vans in the World sipping practically no fuel.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #29
Bud
Platinum Member

"I figured it wouldn't take y'all long to jump all over everything I said.
Oh, well... As I stated, this is all my opinion.

Gosh, sometimes it is much quicker. There is very good feedback here. You did want some comments, right?

"But, evidently Mercedes Benz is noticing that a lot of us do not WANT
diesel... or else, perhaps something of what I said might have some truth (?)

Well, Sprinters are selling well, record breaking. Oh, Vans and passenger cars are not the same.

But, what do I know ? Research over 4 years, I guess is totally wrong! Nobody out there knows as much as y'all !

I suppose that is true. Collectively, this forum knows more than almost all of us, if not all. Very cool, that is why we're here.

"I have a lot to contribute to this forum. But with the personal attitudes here,
...a great welcome you have spread..."

I have really enjoyed the attitudes here, fun. The forum is more about evidence than opinions, but both are welcome from all.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #30
Bud
Platinum Member

Chayelle, I forgot to mention that there are Sprinter B owners here that did not necessarily want a diesel Spinter, but they accepted it because it was what they wanted behind the front seats. Others wanted the Sprinter, then the rv portion.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #31

Hi Chayelle!

Thank you - you have given me so much food for thought and I LOVE that you have shared your opinions from 4 years of obviously in-depth research. As for me, I have only invested about 1 year of research so far on Class Bs (10+ years on RVs in general) but everything you've said resonates with what I have already found in Class Bs that look like they will (or will not) potentially meet my wants and needs.

I'm not up for doing a build myself - at least I don't think so as I'd be doing it myself, not much room to do it and mostly because I have VERY LITTLE patience and literally NO woodworking/electrical/plumbing skills! I find the PW and RT have thought of everything already.

I must ask could it be that your Nissan might be for sale by any chance????? It sounds absolutely perfect and I am envious of how much you are enjoying it and that it truly meets your needs. THAT is exactly what I am aiming for. Also thank you for the tip on the Airtabs - excellent suggestion.

I've already ruled out the Class Cs after spending about 2 years looking at them! I just don't want to have a toad. I need to be able to drive all the regular places a car can go and also camp, tour, shop and whatnot. The Class B offers all of those advantages. I currently have a 29' Travel Trailer and although I love it for traveling with my husband and dog, it's just too big for me to take solo. Further, I am not really comfortable having my "getaway" truck separate from me while in the trailer if "getting away" was necessary at any point. And set-up, hitching, unhitching, leveling etc. isn't efficient for the "whatever/whenever/sightseeing/getting away" quick-ish stops I am hoping to create for myself.

I very recently *almost* completed the purchase of a Roadtrek 190 and spent a lot of time in it and driving it, so I do know that Class B is the exact right solution for me. Glad the purchase of the 190 didn't go through because the bathroom in that model would have driven me nuts with the two doors and being halfway in the aisle! (although I would be happy if I had gotten it cuz the price was fabulous, but there was too much rust discovered at the final inspection by the mechanic when it was up on the lift.)
I hate that I've truly had to prioritize the bathroom set-up because of my gastro issues I really need the privacy, quick access and do prefer some comfort - all of which the wide body set-up offers

You have so much wonderful knowledge and experience to contribute, I hope you will continue to do so as I am sure I am not the only one that finds your detail and information incredibly helpful! I've found that all forums in general have the typical conversations/debates re: diesel vs. gas, Chevy vs. Ford, even chocolate vs. vanilla etc. etc. etc.(!) I find them all informative for me to see what other people find that works for them, and they usually always help me to potentially re-think and either further solidify my direction or open my mind to something I hadn't considered before. It's all good!

Thank you again kindly for all your info, it is so helpful.

WISHING YOU A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR **WITH LOTS OF VAN TIME**!!
Old 01-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #32
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayelle View Post
I figured it wouldn't take y'all long to jump all over everything I said.
Oh, well... As I stated, this is all my opinion.

But, evidently Mercedes Benz is noticing that a lot of us do not WANT
diesel... or else, perhaps something of what I said might have some truth (?)

But, what do I know ? Research over 4 years, I guess is totally wrong! Nobody out there knows as much as y'all !0

Oh yes, here is an article for you to chop up as well:

Gas Engine New Sprinter
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...nter-7191.html

It is ok to have your opinion.
I enjoy reading opinions.
but you should check the facts before posting all over the internet.

Facts from the source, not hearsay from another thread!

Old 01-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #33

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all BBQ, Bud, Avanti, Boxster1971, Phoebe3 and GeorgeRa for making sure that I don't fully discount diesels! As was mentioned I agree that sometimes the floor plan will "trump" the motor. That is what I am still open to and as I mentioned in my original post the older 2005-2007 PW Plateau TD has MY favorite floor plan with the diesel Dodge/Sprinter engine. If I find one of those clean and in my price range - well, it will be a win!

I think the bigger reason I am not looking at the newer diesels is primarily because of pricing. AND if I were to find MY floorplan in BOTH a gas and a diesel - and all else equal - if the diesel was a lot taller than the gas model, I would prefer the lower height and then would probably end up with a gas engine! Your help, comments, suggestions, doing my time watching ads (and of course availability) will ultimately direct where I end up as I still can't justify going above $50K and will prefer staying around $40K.

I love everyone's contributions and hope they keep coming as this forum and the members posting here are kind and knowledgeable. I'm sorry to see it looks like Chayelle removed her posts or maybe I just can't see them anymore? I appreciated that she has the van she wants, loves it, is passionate about it and is willing to share her thoughts and opinions that brought her to that point as I am looking to end up feeling the same way about the van I end up purchasing.

Thanks everyone for all of your input, I'm listening and including everything in my considerations!!
Happy 2018!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Besides the love or hate relationship with diesel engine; diesel fuel allows to use some appliances which can only be powered by diesel and all of them coming from the diesel oriented EU. For example, Eberspacher (Espar) D2 is one of the best furnaces known to me. Webasto Dual Top is a very efficient water and space heater powered by diesel. Most of hydronic system are power by diesel except the new to NA Swedish Alde powered by LPG.

I did my own conversion and elected to used diesel appliances. I like the results but could easily be swayed to LPG appliances. The high efficiency compressor fridge (Danfoss compressor) would be one appliance I would not be swayed away from, it is efficient, works well in hot weather, it is insensitive to levelling – an absolute winner for a van.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #35

Hi George,

I really appreciate the additional info about what a diesel can provide as far as appliances - I was truly not aware of any of that! And it provides some more support for the choice to not to rule out the diesels. My learning continues!

Also thank you for the link to your van build, that really is quite nice and appears that you have meticulous attention to detail. Beautiful layout, wonderful woodwork and fittings (and love the paisley curtains!). Overall -
WOW!

Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:40 AM   #36
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Besides the love or hate relationship with diesel engine; diesel fuel allows to use some appliances which can only be powered by diesel and all of them coming from the diesel oriented EU. For example, Eberspacher (Espar) D2 is one of the best furnaces known to me. Webasto Dual Top is a very efficient water and space heater powered by diesel. Most of hydronic system are power by diesel except the new to NA Swedish Alde powered by LPG.

also... the diesel cooktop

Old 01-02-2018, 01:26 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post

I did my own conversion and elected to used diesel appliances. I like the results but could easily be swayed to LPG appliances. The high efficiency compressor fridge (Danfoss compressor) would be one appliance I would not be swayed away from, it is efficient, works well in hot weather, it is insensitive to levelling – an absolute winner for a van.
If you choose to use LPG, the Truma Combi will provide heat and hot water via Propane or Shore Power. Agree on the compressor refrigerator - since they don't use propane, you aren't running a flame all the time and they don't care about being level. I'm so happy with my NovaCool refrigerator, that if I found a used RV with a LPG refrigerator, I would swap it out for a compressor version as soon as I was able.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #38
Site Team

It is worth mentioning that Espar makes gasoline versions of many of their heaters. I don't know anything about them, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
If you choose to use LPG, the Truma Combi will provide heat and hot water via Propane or Shore Power. Agree on the compressor refrigerator - since they don't use propane, you aren't running a flame all the time and they don't care about being level. I'm so happy with my NovaCool refrigerator, that if I found a used RV with a LPG refrigerator, I would swap it out for a compressor version as soon as I was able.
Truma would be my option if I would use LPG. It wasn’t available in NA during my conversion so I used Espar D2 and D5 powered by diesel.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:14 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
It is worth mentioning that Espar makes gasoline versions of many of their heaters. I don't know anything about them, though.
I had gasoline powered either a Webasto or an Eberspacher furnace, just don’t remember, on my EU delivery Westfalia 1985. Don’t know if this was just my unit by reliability was bad, the ignition was done by a strange combo of glow and spark plug requiring often deep cleaning or replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR110815.JPG (87.6 KB, 8 views)