Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: questions for wincrasher - Promaster battery

Nope.
---------------------------------
If you are wondering if the solar will keep up in storage:

AM Solar says: ( http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/page_26 )

Quote:
A 100 watt panel produces an average of about 6 amps per peak sun hour, or about 30 amp-hours per day.
You're getting 200 watts so double that but maybe subtract some for time of year / angle of sun etc. and add some for longer days.

Battery self discharge and parasitic losses are usually measured in milliamps.
Wild guess: .05 amps x 2 batteries x 24 hrs = 2.4 ah per day plus what the relay uses to be replaced daily.

Maybe 20 ah out daily but easily replaced by the 40 ah (or more daily) from the solar panels.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #22
Platinum Member

We have gotten to point that we leave our separator shut off almost all the time, except for when the charging one way or the other is really needed. We have a shut off override on the separator that has a switch on the dash, so it easy.

When we are under poor solar conditions, parked, the 1.4 amps for the separator, plus what the van is using in loads even when sitting (bigger than when in storage because stuff runs whenever you open a door), plus what the starting battery is drawing (even when full it is in the 2 amp range) can be more than we get from our 200 watt solar panels, so the coach batteries get almost nothing.

Having it disconnected is not a big deal because the starting battery is almost always full when we stop, because it is just running the van, and we could stay in one place well over 10 days, I think, without any starting issues.

In the poor solar conditions we had on our fall trip, we had days were we didn't get even 10ah of solar as it was rainy, fogging, trees, and low sun angles.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I'm starting to regret ordering the van- just kidding however that saying -ignorance is bliss-sure applies here.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Don't worry about it Gerry. It will be fine. Often, I make reference to optimal or best practice etc. when it comes to batteries & stuff so it may seem complicated. Millions of RV'ers do just fine not knowing all the little details.

Focus on your first trip while you're waiting for the van. That will be exciting. The rest of the stuff will fall into place as and when needed. Right now I think you're probably trying to understand the whole RV all at once. It'll be easier once you have it. You'll use and learn different systems when their use is required.

Over time some of the technical stuff will seem like it has been part of your knowledge base forever.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Gerry,

The one thing I think you will not do is run your air conditioner off your battery. In the real world I think you are going to use most of that amperage daily if you have a compressor refrigerator. I'm finding a second alternator to be infinitely more practical and versatile than an Onan generator.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:16 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Gerry,

The one thing I think you will not do is run your air conditioner off your battery. In the real world I think you are going to use most of that amperage daily if you have a compressor refrigerator. I'm finding a second alternator to be infinitely more practical and versatile than an Onan generator.
Davydd- if i had more battery capacity i would agree with you. however i will only have 186 amps(equal to about 210 standard agm amps) an extra alternator for so little battery capacity is overkill.

I'm getting the Onan as-just in case-for my 2 cats really. there is no way i can use air conditioner with this battery capacity.

you have 800 amps-i've got 210

PS- i also saw your post on advanced rv facebook-praising Roadtrek and Jim Hammill. is this the same roadtrek that you called the Mcdonald of rv's and fudged amp figures. lol
Old 02-25-2015, 02:21 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Yes. They do fudge and over state. Everyone does. I think you are being a little gullible to that. You really do only have 185ah to use and really do only have about 90 at your use and I think you will find all the ineffiency loss, standby, parasitic, refrigerator, inverter and idiot lights are going to eat up a majority of that. Running a generator is not a pleasant thing to do for yourself or your fellow campers. Noise is noise and all the suggestions for dampening it is for naught. I already told you running a generator and an air conditioner in a public place unattended is going to call attention and probably not for the better. Seriously that is a bad idea. You will just learn to travel smart in good weather and most likely seek electrical hookup campgrounds. It can be done and most B owners adapt and travel that way. Don't kid yourself on this. With a compressor refrigerator you have the equivalent of one house battery I lived with for several years. If you travel in the winter that solar performance is not going to amount to a hill of beans. If you drive every day that will be the most beneficial thing you could do in a B. That's why I said a second alternator was infinitely better than an Onan.

For what it is worth we have left our cat numerous times this trip in the B and haven't run our air conditioner yet. We open the MaxxAir ceiling vent and open our window vents to stabilize the van temperature. We have run the fan a couple of times. Yesterday we parked at the San Diego Zoo for four hours without the fan running that way. The temperatures were in the high 60s outdoors. We have gone as high as 80 like this.

You will learn and adapt with what you have. It is not a big deal. I think I have hit the no brainer sweet spot but suspect 600ah lithium ion and less solar would do it. That's why I think the experimental Etreks are massive overkill. Trust me, running a generator underneath and an air conditioner overhead in a small B is pure hell. That is worse than being cooped up in the B when it is raining outside. The idea of boondocking is to be remote, outside and enjoying it. You might as well stay home.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:56 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Yes. They do fudge and over state. Everyone does. I think you are being a little gullible to that. You really do only have 185ah to use and really do only have about 90 at your use and I think you will find all the ineffiency loss, standby, parasitic, refrigerator, inverter and idiot lights are going to eat up a majority of that. Running a generator is not a pleasant thing to do for yourself or your fellow campers. Noise is noise and all the suggestions for dampening it is for naught. I already told you running a generator and an air conditioner in a public place unattended is going to call attention and probably not for the better. Seriously that is a bad idea. You will just learn to travel smart in good weather and most likely seek electrical hookup campgrounds. It can be done and most B owners adapt and travel that way. Don't kid yourself on this. With a compressor refrigerator you have the equivalent of one house battery I lived with for several years. If you travel in the winter that solar performance is not going to amount to a hill of beans. If you drive every day that will be the most beneficial thing you could do in a B. That's why I said a second alternator was infinitely better than an Onan.

For what it is worth we have left our cat numerous times this trip in the B and haven't run our air conditioner yet. We open the MaxxAir ceiling vent and open our window vents to stabilize the van temperature. We have run the fan a couple of times. Yesterday we parked at the San Diego Zoo for four hours without the fan running that way. The temperatures were in the high 60s outdoors. We have gone as high as 80 like this.

You will learn and adapt with what you have. It is not a big deal. I think I have hit the no brainer sweet spot but suspect 600ah lithium ion and less solar would do it. That's why I think the experimental Etreks are massive overkill. Trust me, running a generator underneath and an air conditioner overhead in a small B is pure hell. That is worse than being cooped up in the B when it is raining outside. The idea of boondocking is to be remote, outside and enjoying it. You might as well stay home.

Davydd-i totally agree with you-are you not reading what i say? i got the ONAN in case. if i could get bigger battery capacity i would get second alternator-BUT I CAN'T on the zion. the Onan is just in case, i/m well aware how loud it is.