Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Rok
Platinum Member

Default Quick Question About LP

Hi everyone:

We have a 2013 Great West Legend SE.

We are trying to keep the food in the refrigerator cold using propane. We have a 6 or 7 cubic foot Domestic 3 way fridge. A couple of days ago, the LP reading was 54% this morning it is 44%. We need to continue using it this way for about 4 more days.

Are we going to need to fill the propane before those 4 days are up?

Thanks in advance.

......Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you reading those percentages from an in-the-van monitor, or directly from the gauge on the tank? The remote monitors (when they work at all) have limited resolution--they tend to "jump" from one value to the next in rather large steps. So, your extrapolation may be misleading. The physical dial on the tank is more accurate. 54% should be plenty for four days of fridge use, I would think.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
Rok
Platinum Member

We're using the in van monitor.

We didn't even know about the on tank measure.

Dometic...not domestic (awful autocorrect).

It's 6 days from 54%.

I can't remember what is bottom...I vaguely remember 34%. Don't have the manual.

....Rocky
Old 07-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member

to stretch fridge effectiveness- try to have the fridge side in the shade- that may mean moving the van

we dont much use the freezer- we rotate blue freezer packs from the freezer to the fridge- this may allow a lower fridge setting to be used

we have a remote thermometer in the fridge so that we can monitor temps with out opening

we have an internal fan to circulate the cold air- you can buy battery operated from camco- I eventually wired one into the van 12 volt- pack the fridge so that there is room for air to circulate

many of us have added fans to push air past the external fins- a project for later- if stationary you could remove a panel to enhance air flow across the fins

I have managed to get my 10 year old to cool about 60º~70º below ambient on ac power this way ( and LP usually cools even better)

hopefully this will help stretch your cooling through the week end

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok View Post
Hi everyone:

We have a 2013 Great West Legend SE.

We are trying to keep the food in the refrigerator cold using propane. We have a 6 or 7 cubic foot Domestic 3 way fridge. A couple of days ago, the LP reading was 54% this morning it is 44%. We need to continue using it this way for about 4 more days.

Are we going to need to fill the propane before those 4 days are up?

Thanks in advance.

......Rocky
What else have you got using propane? If your readings are correct, 10% of the tank for two days of fridge use sounds excessive to me. Lots of water heater or furnace use maybe?
William
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:51 AM   #6
Rok
Platinum Member

You are absolutely correct. We forgot that we ran the propane generator during that time.

But, not until we had already made the trip to get the LP filled up at a U-Haul.

Now we're set.

Thanks for the replies.

...Rocky