Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Here are the two questions I posted on the YouTube site (my husband asked ARV previously about the inrush current and, at that time, they did not know):

Why are the heat exchanging surfaces teal blue in color? Should they not be bare aluminum? We have a big problem in the deep south with air conditioning components rotting out prematurely if they are not all copper and aluminum construction.

Also, when and how can we get data on the inrush current at startup? Those of us who run our a/c for periods of time off our lithium battery and inverter need to know that information.

Looked like anodized aluminum to me. That would help make the aluminum more durable.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 05-02-2018, 02:42 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Advanced Fest starts Friday. I hope to get a first hand look at everything under development. Anyone else going? Last message they sent they had said 50 RVs were attending.

I’ll be at ARV Fest too. Missed meeting you last year. It was a fun and informative weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Looked like anodized aluminum to me. That would help make the aluminum more durable. ...
Yes it could be, but I wasn't going to lead the witness. I want to have ARV offer the confirmation in their own words, if that's true.

I've learned that "looked like" and "should be" are right up there with "assume" where air conditioners are concerned. Most owners never crack open their units, and so some manufacturers do tend to hide sins inside of them. We replaced our stick-and-brick a/c system last year. I was amazed to find that, while the main visible lines were indeed copper and the heat exchanger was indeed aluminum, the portions of the lines concealed inside the aluminum fins... THOSE portions were galvanized steel. So of course they rotted out in short order, costing us many thousands of dollars for a replacement unit.

Last year, we opened up our old lumbering deafening Dometic roof unit to install the EasyStart. I was pleased to see correct configuration of metals. The red arrow in this photo is pointing toward the EasyStart, but if you look near my husband's left elbow, you'll see the beginnings of the copper that runs all the way through the aluminum. No sins were visible, no corrosion was visible. Now, if only the danged thing weren't so loud...

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #64
Platinum Member

I'm glad I didn't lead that witness, because the reply I got on YouTube was much more interesting than if I had done so:

"Thank you for your question, Interstate Blog. Both heat exchangers are made from high grade copper and aluminium. The fins have that light teal blue tint because of a very thin polymer coating applied to both surfaces of the aluminium. The polymer coat is hydrophilic – which means that it is literally ‘water loving’. This hydrophilic coating allows condensed water to run off the fins without wanting to bead and block up the narrow air gaps between the fins. This gives a better performing heat exchanger that delivers excellent air flow regardless of the conditions. Another benefit of the coating is a reduction in corrosion as water tends to run off the fins. The corrosion resistance with this polymer coating is better than having bare aluminium fins."
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:04 AM   #65

Did anyone end up getting the Quiet Air Conditioner? How is it working?
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:45 AM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
Did anyone end up getting the Quiet Air Conditioner? How is it working?
Marlon Knox on the Facebook Travato group had one installed and thoroughly documented the project. He's very happy with it and posted videos where you can hear how quiet it is. Cost him ~ $2700.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

It's nice that it comes with a remote control and an actual set temperature readout on the unit itself.
I was REALLY impressed with his after install video where he was talking and listening to the TV in normal tones while the air was running in the backround

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #68

I was visiting ARV few days ago and had an opportunity to look at installed unit. It is not completely silent but it is high quality really quiet device. Unfortunately cost of installation on my Transit was much higher than I'm willing to pay. In general I was really impressed with Bs they produce, ARV craftsmanship and engineering are excellent.
Sprinter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:38 AM   #69
Platinum Member

Did ARV give you a price of $2700 also for a Transit?
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:57 AM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
It's nice that it comes with a remote control and an actual set temperature readout on the unit itself.
I was REALLY impressed with his after install video where he was talking and listening to the TV in normal tones while the air was running in the backround
Is there a link to the video?

I am scheduled for an install in Nov when we return from Alaska...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:08 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
Did ARV give you a price of $2700 also for a Transit?
yes. problem increasing the cost of installation was my van. I have cut out for MaxFan too close to the rear doors and air conditioner can not go there because it will overhang. Placing it in front required moving at best but more likely replacement of 360W solar panel changing the way it mounted, disassembling ceiling and so on.
Sprinter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #72
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter54 View Post
yes. problem increasing the cost of installation was my van. I have cut out for MaxFan too close to the rear doors and air conditioner can not go there because it will overhang. Placing it in front required moving at best but more likely replacement of 360W solar panel changing the way it mounted, disassembling ceiling and so on.

Let it overhang; you will have more space for solar panels.