Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Quiet Air Conditioner from Advanced RV

Evidently Advanced RV is expanding in 2.5 times more space in April and expanding their services other than their Class B vans. They've in the past installed VB Air Suspension and E-P levelers on other RV models not of their own when they could. They are marketing a brush guard and now the roof-top air conditioner they tested from Australia they believe to be three times quieter and 20% more efficient than offerings from other Class B manufacturers. I don't know if they have an exclusive dealership for sales and installation but they've offered to install on other RVs. This is their video.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting! I hope it works out. I hate, loathe, despise our a/c unit...
Old 03-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #3

I watched the video, the output is closer to 15k than my 13.5 and more efficient. Im thinking of replacing my units.

KC
AAFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Default mystery brand

And they still haven't named the brand/model.
dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Caravan air conditioner - Houghton Belaire HB2400 - Pilgrims' Caravan & RV Parts
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Just wander when this Truma AC will come to our shores, I have seen it in EU – it is very, night time quiet. It takes 12”x18”x34” storage space, I could easy find a place for it in my sub 20’ long wide van. Truma entered NA with Truma Combi so AC could be coming soon.

https://www.truma.com/au/en/products...omfort-rc.html
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #7
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Just wander when this Truma AC will come to our shores, I have seen it in EU – it is very, night time quiet. It takes 12”x18”x34” storage space, I could easy find a place for it in my sub 20’ long wide van. Truma entered NA with Truma Combi so AC could be coming soon.

It almost seems like a big DC portable that vents out the bottom?
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post

I would be interested in that one since I don't desire a rooftop air conditioner.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
It almost seems like a big DC portable that vents out the bottom?
Yes. Except that it isn't DC.

If I ever get around to upgrading my A/C, I am committed to native DC power. Most of them use the wonderful Danfoss compressors, and you pick up another significant efficiency bump by avoiding inverter losses. Even if you don't believe in under-chassis mount (and I do), you could still go that route.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #10
jon
Platinum Member

I have a 12 volt split system in my van. The compressor vibrates the whole van. My next RV I wish to try a quiet roof unit.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I have a 12 volt split system in my van. The compressor vibrates the whole van. My next RV I wish to try a quiet roof unit.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Jon,
if you get a chance, please post some details of your rig and A/C.
Thanks.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #12
BBQ
Platinum Member

I don't see why an air conditioner cannot be as quiet as the fridge.

(other than the air flow sound)
Old 03-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Yes. Except that it isn't DC.

If I ever get around to upgrading my A/C, I am committed to native DC power. Most of them use the wonderful Danfoss compressors, and you pick up another significant efficiency bump by avoiding inverter losses. Even if you don't believe in under-chassis mount (and I do), you could still go that route.
do you have an underfloor unit. Most people i read are disatisfied with the cooling! Justa na observation-i have no first hand knowledge
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:17 PM   #14
BBQ
Platinum Member

I read someone removed the undermount unit and replaced it with a rooftop unit because the undermount evaporator kept getting clogged up and causing the AC not to work.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Naively, isn't the difference in an AC and a refrigerator compressor a matter of power? We have learned to work around how slowly (measured in days) our refrigerator cools items from room temp, but we ask our AC to cool the entire contents of the van to a comfortable temp in a couple of hours. Just the air volume of the van is probably 350 cu ft vs a 7 cu ft refrigerator, I don't know what the difference in heat capacity of the contained items would be.

Another random thought is that Europeans don't have the same heat environment and expectations of AC that the SE USA has. It will be interesting to see if the Truma gives a comfortable experience in GA in the summer, which class A, C and towable users may want (which will drive the market here).
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I called ARV about that installation but phone tag is the only thing that happened so far as I haven't been able to focus on it. I'm thinking about getting one installed. It would extend our use-ability significantly here in the deep south.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
do you have an underfloor unit. Most people i read are disatisfied with the cooling! Justa na observation-i have no first hand knowledge
No, I do not have one yet. But I have been researching for a long time.

There is no doubt that typical DC units have lower capacities than the huge 120VAC units typically used on roofs. However, my goal is not to make ice cubes in my rig. I care a lot more about reducing humidity than I do about low temperatures. For this purpose, smaller units are actually often superior to larger ones. The perfectly-sized A/C is the one that will just barely run continuously to maintain the target temperature. There are two reasons for this: (1) Startup is power-inefficient, so you don't want to do it any more than necessary; and (more importantly) (2) a unit that is not running is not dehumidifying. As with so many other RV features, the industry insists on large units largely because they make for good demos on the lot, when you only have 5 minutes to impress. I am eager for a less-capable unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I read someone removed the undermount unit and replaced it with a rooftop unit because the undermount evaporator kept getting clogged up and causing the AC not to work.
Every undermount install that I am familiar with has been done naïvely, including ARVs. The biggest thing is that they all seem to mount the evaporators perpendicular to the direction of travel. Mounting it parallel to the airflow would obviously be helpful. I also intend to pay attention to air deflection. I expect to have to do some experimentation. If necessary, I will completely encase the evaporator and install weatherproof actuator-driven vents.

Note that the evaporators of automotive ACs are almost always mounted right up front--exposed to the elements and road spray. They work fine, because they are properly designed.

That said, I have no desire to run the unit while underway. The Sprinter A/C is more than adequate for our needs. What I DO want is (a) quiet; and (b) DC operation for a reasonable period of time (all night is NOT a goal, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I don't see why an air conditioner cannot be as quiet as the fridge.

(other than the air flow sound)
It can. Unfortunately, though, air flow sound is the biggest problem. That is why well-designed ducted systems (such as the one ARV did in their super-high roof van) are always much more quiet than the all-in-one roof mount units.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #18
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Jon,
if you get a chance, please post some details of your rig and A/C.
Thanks.
Hi Avanti,

I did a little write up on the sprinter forum. You've seen it:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...highlight=jons
Old 03-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Hi Avanti,

I did a little write up on the sprinter forum. You've seen it:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...highlight=jons
Ah, yes. I didn't make the connection. Thanks!

Do you know what kind of compressor your unit has? I am targeting one of the dual-Danfoss setups, which should be pretty quiet. I will probably also mount the compressors underneath as well.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #20
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah, yes. I didn't make the connection. Thanks!

Do you know what kind of compressor your unit has? I am targeting one of the dual-Danfoss setups, which should be pretty quiet. I will probably also mount the compressors underneath as well.
I don't know what brand compressor I have. I know that the owner gets them from a plant in the US. I wanted to get the dual Danfoss setup but the inside unit was to large to fit under a passenger seat. Plus it was only 6.5K BTUs mine is supposed to be 8.5K BTUs but I haven't tested it in warm weather yet. It seems like it might keep the inside of a pre-cooled van cool for a while. The bright side is that it only draws 40 amps though. A 110 VAC roof unit would draw over 100.
Jon