Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #1

Default radio speakers have no sound

I have an islander supreme class b.1995 dodge chassis
there is no sound coming from the speakers 2front in doors 2rear in cupboards
if i hook up external speakers they work well
Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem and what they did to rectify it.
thanx in advance Billy p
billyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Re: radio speakers have no sound

Did you try to hook up other speakers to the leads that power the ones that don't work? That can tell you if the speaker is no good or the wireing or possibly in the radio. Depends on where you hooked up the ones that work.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

Default Re: radio speakers have no sound

That's definitely sound (pun) advice.

I recently replaced the post mounted cassette deck in my Esquire, there were four sets of wires, but I still haven't found the speakers the two other sets go to.
I'm under the impression that a pair are supposed to mount in the top of the dash but that's not where they seemed to be going. I just did the two front to the doors for now and will probably run new wiring to back speakers once I find/install a set.

If you can connect the alternate speakers you're testing with to the leads in the cabinet and to the back of the receiver for the rear speakers that should definitely tell you whether it's the wiring, speakers, or receiver.

If the receiver is fairly modern, check if it has a detachable wiring harness and that it's seated properly.

Also look for corrosion on the blade terminals for the speakers/wiring. And if the wiring harness for the receiver connects into the other wiring with blade or torpedo quick disconnects, check those for corrosion as well.

If the wiring crosses underneath or behind any cabinets (meaning it's not embedded in the walls or anything), make sure it's not worn bare from rubbing on something.
Malysoun is offline   Reply With Quote