Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 12:03 AM   #41
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Have you checked the price of wood at Home Depot lately?

You need three 8 ft. 2 x 12 southern yellow pine at $18.48 each to creat two 6” lift ramps. That’s roughly $55 vs $42 for the Harbor Freight ramps and why I said what I said. With that I could not get pine but had to settle for more expensive Douglas Fir that cost me about $60 because that was their only 2 x 12s and there were no culls to be had.

Of course I pass by a company that stacks up their wood pallets and crates offering them to passerbys as free lumber. Piles of them every week. I could use those mostly 1 x but the nails and screws might exceed the price of those Harbor Freight ramps.
Daveydd -

I'm not sure who you're replying to, & I do agree that the HF ramps are a good deal, plus HF is always putting stuff on sale for even less, as does Northern Tool for similar items that are NT branded. Just sign up for HF's & NT's emails online, & usually they have a free shipping offer somewhere for a certain minimum order - so maybe get the floor jack or jack stands or whatever else they sell which need to get free shipping (& avoid lugging stuff to the car).

But in my post above I was suggesting you & others could swing by your local home, townhome, condo & apartment construction sites & collect FREE scrap lumber. If one asks the Superintendents nicely, then they're usually happy to let folks take smaller scrap lumber 4x6 - 4x12 pieces, which saves the General Contractor, Framing Contractor, & owner/builder the cost of removal & disposal - or at least lessens it.

My Dad had a small building company in IN who loved to let folks lessen his disposal costs - as do most of the builders out here in SoCal with whom I've worked since 1966.

So folks shouldn't be reluctant to ask for free scrap lumber!

However, it's understandable if you don't want the cost, time or work to build anything, & just want get the ramps. As I said, I have both types - 2x homebuilt & store bought (NT) ramps - but then I'm messing with 3 classic cars & 2 vintage trailers.

Also - everything is abnormally high priced right now due to COVID effects - both store goods like these & lumber & other building materials, vehicles, trailers & RVs, etc.

So if anything is too high priced for folks right now - hopefully prices will go back to more normalish in a few more months into 2022. Lumber prices have already started to normalize a bit in the last 30-60 days - especially Canadian Lumber sources.

And yes, I've been dealing with rising lumber prices for construction projects for 3-5+ years now, & the past 1.5+ months of COVID induced spike has only driven it higher - as well as some tariffs combined with overseas demand for at least 5 years or longer driving up prices too.

Good Luck with whatever works best for you.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1970 Eriba Puck, +/- 5th owner since 2018
1960 Avion T20, +/- 4th owner since 2012
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:31 AM   #42
Bronze Member

daveydd -

You'd only do a lift like your neighbor, if you need to squeeze another car in the garage parking space in my opinion.

It looks like your neighbor has multiple Dodge/CMC classic cars to store, although that photo has me confused - I can't tell if it's upside down, or what?

Ooops - now your post & pic is gone!?

This was your lift photo:

RE your other post -

I agree with the +1-2 inch width over the tire width sizes, but our Westy & Avion originally had narrower tires (195 & 205) when I built the 2x ramps from scrap lumber, & I've just stuck with them - or use the Rhino Ramps.

How interesting - I'm also an Architect, RE Broker & Land Developer who had worked my way through HS & college working in construction, as well as for Architecture & Planning firms out here in the late 1966-74 - then full time on the design & planning side, then design & development `83 on (BS Arch `74 USC, MBA RE Economics & Finance `86 UCLA, CA Arch Lic. `80 & CA REB Lic `87 FYI).

It's fascinating how many other Architects & Engineers are on these RV, Trailer & various Classic Car Forums!

But I guess we have more construction sites close-by here, because nobody would use more gas to get some scrap 2x wood around here, than heir buying it retail in 8' lengths at HD, Lowes, etc.

And there are still fair amounts of it in 2-4' lengths in their scrap piles - since it's speed & less labor time/costs - over materials used - in most cases around here, since the construction finance usually costs them more than waste lumber.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1970 Eriba Puck, +/- 5th owner since 2018
1960 Avion T20, +/- 4th owner since 2012
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #43
Silver Member

We have these:

OTC 5268 20-Ton Capacity Per Pair Truck Ramps
pasusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:40 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasusan View Post
We have these:

OTC 5268 20-Ton Capacity Per Pair Truck Ramps

Those are the nice ones you see in a lot of truck repair shops and include all the little safety and convenience stuff like extended base to prevent sliding as you start up, tall end stop to prevent driving off them going up, tall side guides, small stop on other side of the tire for feel going up roll prevention. Wheels and handle to move around is necessary as they are very heavy and massive.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:42 AM   #45
Bronze Member

I have a set of those harbor freight ramps. and an 8 ton bottle jack + jack stands. It has been enough for my 93 Roadtrek for all its required service. My Coach House is different and requires more equipment, but so far I have been able to service it by parking it over a shallow ditch. I use cardboard with a slick finish to slide myself under and out. A battery powered impact wrench makes tire changing easy with a couple of jack stands.
vwmaniaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:46 AM   #46
Platinum Member

DIY ramps, $0, made from waste two-by-four pieces picked out of contractor trash piles generated during the replacement of our subdivision's perimeter fence.

There are cross-pieces sandwiched in the middle layer, so that they will not splay. Painted for visibility although we also use a tagging system to remind us not to try to drive away before dismounting.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #47
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canscot View Post
I bought heavy duty ramps to lift my 94C210P They are Rhino Ramps Max rated at 16000 lbs gross vehicle weight they worked good for me
Note that those are rated at 4,000lb for each ramp, 8,000lb for a pair. They also crack easy.

I like reading the bad reviews on amazon and sort out the bad users from the bad products. In this case I would be afraid to use these. https://amzn.to/3iUCRif
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote