Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2021, 02:46 PM   #1

Default RATS!! bummer, they are eating my electric and fuel lines

While picking up my 2012 Adventurous from a service, my mechanic showed me the nest remnants and the little gnawing marks on the fuel line down to the braiding. Also some electric lines as well. I learned that Mercedes uses a soy based plastic for the electric wire insulation which the little critters think is close enough to food for snacking. So, has anyone had luck with Rat prevention, and what did you do? I don't like to kill my fellow mammals but the thought of hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars in harness repairs freaks me out and changes the calculation.
Russell
Stovebags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Honda sells an electrical tape which is rodent resistant- it is impregnated with cayenne
part number 4019-2317

you can find on amazon ebay or dealer

I use mothballs around my van and car, storage sheds

infrequent human activity makes rodents comfy, I keep an eye out for signs

wish we had a cat

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:30 AM   #3
Bronze Member

We place Irish Spring bath soap in our garage and in small net bags tied under the hood of our vehicles. No more problems with mice.

Mike
Roadtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Some people swear by bounce dryer sheets. I tried this and in two different places they actually made nests on the sheets.
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I use Fresh Cab rodent repellent from tractor supply in engine compartment, inside storage compartments, and inside MH to prevent mice intrusion. It seems to work as I have not had any problems in the past 6 years. I live in a small town but with a lot of animals around because of small areas of undeveloped land (parks and golf course).

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:42 AM   #6

Irish spring, I'll try it, thanks!
Old 02-06-2021, 02:43 AM   #7

appreciate all your responses, I'll try them one by one and report back...
Old 02-06-2021, 03:05 AM   #8

I use a ball bearing mouse trap.
His name is Tom.
Gimblerotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebags View Post
Irish spring, I'll try it, thanks!
If nothing else, the mice will smell nice.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #10
Platinum Member

this worked for me...

https://www.amazon.com/Exterminators...%2C231&sr=8-10
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #11
Bronze Member

I use a combination of lights. I have landscape lights pointed under my Mercedes during the night with a set of holiday rope lights circling the bottom. I try to make sure the engine is well lit. I never leave food in it while its parked and I check the engine compartment at least once a week. All has worked well so far.
Westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Default Rodents

I've been battling these critters for years and I've tried many different things. mothballs, lights, strobes, urinal deodorant, you name it. What works is put it into a weather tight shipping container. You can leave it there for long periods of time and it won't even get dusty.

When it's not in the container I open the hood. I also have several mouse traps around the vehicle. The ones in the engine compartment are secured by Velcro so they won't fall into the engine. That way you can rebait them.

If there was something that really worked all the time, the inventor would be richer than Jeff Bezos.
alaskasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #13

Last year was my first with the van. I used fresh cab and didn’t have any issues. This year I went to Irish Spring, but I had a couple rodent droppings. I went back to fresh cab and they haven’t reappeared. Irish Spring is a lot cheaper, but... I also leave my hood open and put some fresh cab in there
lifelonglaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #14

Default RATS, Bummer

I used Irish Spring as a deterrent and they ate on it.

Moth Balls outside and traps inside set in plastic liiped dishes.

Don
alaskadac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #15
Silver Member

Peppermint oil. Make a water solution in spray bottle for under hood. Spray once or more a month.

Also, search Amazon for ' Under Hood Animal Repeller', bought 2 and have not had mice since I put them in the Prius. 2 AA rechargeable batteries last 1-2 months.
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I use Tomcat

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...4?cm_vc=-10005

Since our rv is stored in an enclosed space and I don't have to worry about larger critters than mice I just put a block of this stuff on both sides of each wheel. Never had a problem.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:42 PM   #17

Default Rat-A -Way

I have used Peppermint oil. Many rodent sprays have peppermint oil as the active ingredient
georgeherberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:45 AM   #18
Bronze Member

If you have AGM batteries in the engine compartment, you can attach a Mouse Blocker MouseBlocker Pro - Ultimate 12V Ultrasonic Mouse and Rodent Deterrent to the batteries. I latter changed to Lithium batteries had to switched to a different blocker (under Hood Animal Repeller Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Rat Deterrent LED Strobe Lights Keep Mice Away from Car Pest Control 12V 24V Vehicle Rodent Defense Vehicle Protection). Works great. Turns on automatically when vehicle stopped and off when driving.
hdevera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebags View Post
While picking up my 2012 Adventurous from a service, my mechanic showed me the nest remnants and the little gnawing marks on the fuel line down to the braiding. Also some electric lines as well. I learned that Mercedes uses a soy based plastic for the electric wire insulation which the little critters think is close enough to food for snacking. So, has anyone had luck with Rat prevention, and what did you do? I don't like to kill my fellow mammals but the thought of hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars in harness repairs freaks me out and changes the calculation.
Russell

Did know know the Mercedes wiring issue, does anyone know if similar on the Ram Promaster?

We park our B Van outside during winter and have not had an issue to date for 4 years, and we have not done anything..... I was wondering how this was so as we have had a cabin before and never could seem to keep them out.... Answer was found out after my wife gave me a Blink camera for Christmas and we point it at the van and it records when there is motion and we now see that every stray cat in the hood hangs out or passes thru our yard and around the van... hence no rat or mouse issues!! Who knew??

I may still try the peppermint/water spray under the hood just in case.
rboegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Google "Squirrel damage to cars". It is a unbelievable read! The manufactures have to stop using soy based plastics. squirrels and mice think the stuff is food!!! The good news is that your auto insurance may pay for the rodent damage. Most insurers provide coverage under comprehensive auto policies if animals such as mice or squirrels damage your vehicle's electrical system, says Gusner, of CarInsurance.com.
https://www.google.com/search?client...damage+to+cars
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote