Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 12:15 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default re-caulking my roof vents

Hi, I was out washing my roadtrek today, and when I was cleaning the roof I noticed the caulking around my roof fan is dry and cracked, and appears to be separating from the fibreglass roof. I was thinking to scrape off the old caulking, and apply a fresh coat of new caulking. . my question is do I need to use the special RV roof caulking, or can I use a high quality silicone, if any one has done this , please let me know, thank you,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:52 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I use self-leveling lap sealant as my roof caulking. I have only found this in RV stores.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:01 AM   #3
Platinum Member

On our Roadtrek, that looked to have silicone sealant around the fan, I removed it and replaced it with urethane caulk like is used around windows and doors. Was PL brand, but now Loctite, who bought them out. Much better adhesion and flexibility compared to silicone. It would be hard to use self leveling on ours, as it is not a flat surface.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Careful application of a heat gun can soften the old caulk to make it easier to remove...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:48 AM   #5
Silver Member

I use Dicor brand rv sealant available from amazon. It's available in both self leveling and non leveling. Most rv folks recommend against silicon as once it cures nothing will stick to it including more silicone.
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I used dicor. I found that once I removed the vent, it was easiest to stand on a box and work from the hole to clean off the old stuff...I also did the vents and antenna mount at the same time. found a couple of little things that could have been better- so addressed those Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Dicor LAP self leveling stuff. Easy to use on an awkward to get to spot. It's also UV resistant.
Used diluted alcohol to clean the surface of the existing caulking, which wasn't in terrible shape, then just completely covered the old with the new. Followed the edge of the flange, and made sure the bead was generous, but not overdone. It looks better after 24 hours when it levels and sets.
I also resealed the rain gutters along both sides of the roof, front to back, with the same stuff. The original caulking was also beginning to show signs of age, and 13 years sun exposure.
So far, so good, on both repairs.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:45 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Thank you for all your replies, I will pick up the dicor sealant, and do it that way, thank you again, this is why i really enjoy this site for all the help we recieve ,,,,,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote