Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
Ron
Platinum Member

Default Re: Chevrolet Letter Of Possible Fuel Pump problem

Have a question regarding our 2010 Chevrolet/RoadTrek, should, the fuel pump become inoperative due to an open circuit and/or overheating of the fuel pump module battery terminal, will the vehicle when in motion on a highway or road could the vehicle become disable?

Understand "INOPERATIVE" this concerns us, as I would believe it would concern others who have received the same letter

I received a letter/notice from General Motors regarding our 2010 Chevrolet Express, (2010 RoadTrek 190 Popular), notice applies to my vehicle and gives the VIN Number. and reads as follows.

Letter is intended to make you aware that some 2010 model year Chevrolet Express vehicles may have a condition in which the fuel pump becomes inoperative due to an open circuit and/or overheating of the fuel pump module battery terminal.

Then the letter states, do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

They further state that General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your 2010 Chevrolet Express within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other that the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

Ron
FMCA:303873 ~K1RRC~ RRRCRT@aol.com
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Chevrolet Letter Of Possible Defected Fuel Pump

An inoperative fuel pump would disable the vehicle.

Quote:
Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.
How are you to know?

I couldn't find anything about it here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues or here https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/ so it must be very new (or few).

If I got a letter like that I'd call my dealer and get them to run my VIN and explain what it is all about. Ask if there's a way to test or check for the problem etc.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:13 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
How are you to know?
The OP cross posted in another forum- I'm crossing myself for those who are unsure:

The fuel pumps are cooled by fuel in the tank. Best practice is to always run the tank level above 1/4 ( more cooling fuel) that is pretty easy for us as we tend to watch our fuel and know to fill up- esp when most generator fuel pick ups are plumbed at about 1/3 full.

When a fuel pump is on the way out it is probable that fuel pressure will drop- this will lead to a check engine light ( free scan autozone) and the code will be "lean condition, BOTH cylinder banks". fuel pressure is easily checked with a $30 harbor freight gauge set screwed on a a fitting on the top of the motor near the intake.

what the fix is...the tank needs to be drained and dropped...

I'll spare you the rest...it's over there.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We'll probably see several reports of owners getting the As the owner of a **** model year Chevrolet Express type letters about the fuel pump becomes inoperative due to an open circuit and/or overheating of the fuel pump module battery terminal problem.

It's the same type of letter that several Chevy Express owners received about the "throttle position sensor" problem a few years ago. That problem could cause reduced engine power.

A fuel pump failure would disable the vehicle though.

It would be useful to hear from anyone who has experienced the open circuit and/or overheating of the fuel pump module battery terminal problem to learn if there were any warnings or indications at all before the fuel pump failed.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Re: Chevrolet Letter Of Possible Fuel Pump problem

You can drive into any appropriate dealership, hand them your VIN and ask them to check for recalls and Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) that affect your vehicle.

note - TSB's are not work that needs to be done, they are information on common issues and how to resolve them.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:22 PM   #6

Default Fuel Pump Problem Event

Well it happened to me...
My problem is delayed or cancelled Orcas Island-San Juan Islands WA trip.
What if stuck on ferry and cannot start.
Next week is Vancouver Island BC - Ucluelet-Tofino...
Heck of a towing bill...
This needs to be fixed up front...
What if get stuck in rural area
or plowed over by a big rig
or 60 vehicle pile up because you lose power or stop.
This costs ferry fees and RV sites and good times with friends.
SeaKykrRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The letter would infer that it is not a fuel pump problem, but a problem with the positive connection on the fuel pump relay module. If the connection gets hot, as mentioned, it could reduce voltage to the pump, or it could get hot enough to go open.

I would talk to a dealer, as others have mentioned, and get a copy of what the repair is if the connection fails. That will tell you where the questionable connection is, and how to fix it. It would be foolish not to fix it ahead of time, IMO.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #8
Platinum Member

This might not be related, but here goes anyway.
I have changed out two "bad" fuel pumps, as well as the relays (2007 Chevy Roadtrek). I came to believe the problem was really the underhood fuse block and changed that out also. So far, problem of not starting has not recurred.

The reason I changed out the Roadtrek fuse block was because in our Suburban the radio quit. solution to keep it running is to remove the radio fuse from the underhood fuse block and put a little twist on both prongs of the fuse. This allows a good connection and the radio runs OK for about a year, when another twist is needed.

I can put up with a radio going out now and then, but not a fuel pump!!
Roadtreker357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtreker357 View Post
This might not be related, but here goes anyway.
I have changed out two "bad" fuel pumps, as well as the relays (2007 Chevy Roadtrek). I came to believe the problem was really the underhood fuse block and changed that out also. So far, problem of not starting has not recurred.

The reason I changed out the Roadtrek fuse block was because in our Suburban the radio quit. solution to keep it running is to remove the radio fuse from the underhood fuse block and put a little twist on both prongs of the fuse. This allows a good connection and the radio runs OK for about a year, when another twist is needed.

I can put up with a radio going out now and then, but not a fuel pump!!
That is a very interesting observation! We also have a 2007 and found that almost immediately, the fuse box cover for the under hood fuse box was broken so it wouldn't stay on tight. There also was an "add on" water deflector on the fender edge above the box. I did a little research and found that the fuse boxes were having problems with water getting into them and shorting things out, plus corrosion. Ours is now held closed with a velcro strap an all the holes in the fenderwell sealed with silicone to keep water away from the the fuse box. So far, no issues, but who knows what the future brings. Luckily we don't have it outside sitting in the weather, so it sees way less water than most, which may also be a big benefit.

I think there was even a TSB on the broken fuse box cover clips.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote